Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 3 Apr 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3052933)   #1
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans Panoramic by Gavin Ireland

I thought this probably deserved its own thread. I received a copy of the book today (£22 from Amazon) and I have to say I'm impressed having just flicked through it.

As a first-time visitor last year, the book really captures the spirit and ambience of Le Mans. Gavin has got some great shots and blends both track action with behind-the-scenes stuff and fan/trackside pictures very well.

The book is also very notable for the appearance of several forum members at the meet last year. You're all there in panoramic glory

In my opinion it's a snip at that price. One thing to say, and this is probably just me, is that I was expecting it to be bigger. I clearly didn't read the specs. It's smaller than the size of a regular Le Mans annual but still packs some spectacular photos. It's actually quite a nice size.

I really look forward to reading it (it has both English and French text included) and it seems to give a description of the race, its format and its intricacies. This would be a perfect thing to hand to someone you are trying to convince to attend the race.

Being set over '10/'11 races is also a strength as there is more material to draw on. I think it was a wise decision to come back for a second year.

Would be great to see what other people think but as a photographic memento of modern-day Le Mans I'd say it takes some beating.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3053121)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Gavin has got some great shots and blends both track action with behind-the-scenes stuff and fan/trackside pictures very well.

I take it we're not in it then after all......... ???

I'll leave this in here for now but it will in due course be moved to 'Armchair'.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3053129)   #3
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
ordered my copy two days ago through ebay, can't wait to read / look at it
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3053130)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I take it we're not in it then after all......... ???
I think at least some of us may be.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The book is also very notable for the appearance of several forum members at the meet last year. You're all there in panoramic glory
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3053134)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
looks like i will have to get a copy, will be a great way to remember the 2011 race
Old 3 Apr 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3053135)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
You're ALL in it. Hence why I stuck it in the sub-forum.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3053152)   #7
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My copy doesn't ship for another 3+ weeks. Really looking forward to thumbing through this book.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3053219)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would a sneaky peak at the pics of us be cheeky to ask for?
Old 4 Apr 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3053538)   #9
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
come on Simmi

Ciao Marco
Old 4 Apr 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3053576)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Oops, just goes to show I should read posts in full before replying......
Old 4 Apr 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3053586)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
come on Simmi
I'll try get something up this evening when I get back from work. I'm not going to be able to do it justice really but it will give you a rough idea.

You can always buy the book to see more.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3053671)   #12
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
"Look inside" preview available here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Mans-Pano...der_184584243X
Old 4 Apr 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3053686)   #13
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
"Look inside" preview available here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Mans-Pano...der_184584243X
I don't think many people would buy it on the strength of that preview. Luckily it is much better than that.
Old 4 Apr 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3053691)   #14
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Blimey, we are all in it!
Old 4 Apr 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3053692)   #15
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not Still looks like a good book though!
Old 4 Apr 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3053696)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wish I'd been at the meet even before you were immortalised in print. Unfortunately I was over the other side of the track fighting for a good vantage point ahead of the start.

Will stick a picture up in a moment...
Old 4 Apr 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3053700)   #17
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Here we go. Apologies for the bad photo. Should give you guys an idea of what it's like.

Old 5 Apr 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3053992)   #18
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Simmi for starting this thread off - glad to hear that you like the book.

The ten-tenths photo in the book looks rather like this one - for any of you in the photo, please PM me and I'd be happy to send you the file.

The ten-tenths shot is in the book as a little thank you to this forum - Le Mans Panoramic wouldn't have happened without Autodrome; and Autodrome wouldn't have happened without this forum, which is where Sam Collins and I formed our writer / snapper partnership. I haven't posted regularly here for quite a while, but it was still a pleasure to meet a few familiar faces last June.

I'd had the idea of getting the TT shot in 2010 but couldn't get to the meeting on race morning. In 2011, it was a little bit by chance, as I happened to be in the village at just the time the wine was being opened (a very nice coincidence!).

My hope for the book is that if you know Le Mans, you'll recognise some of the aspects that keep you coming back. If you don't know Le Mans, I hope it makes you want to go. The members of this forum are well placed to test that idea!

Gavin
Attached Thumbnails
Le Mans Pano - Ten Tenths med.jpg  
Old 5 Apr 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3054161)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
typical our big moment of fame and I am obscured by others, I think you can see a small part of my shirt standing by Helen but just my luck, still looking forward to seeing the book
Old 5 Apr 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3054246)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Fantastic Gavin. Thank you very much - and yes, that definitely guarantees a purchase by me......
Old 5 Apr 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3054249)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Being mercenary, it's amazing how the price varies - Amazon £22.75 (currently post-free) - right up to someone charging £37.34 with £2.75 postage on Ebay......
Old 6 Apr 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3054535)   #22
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you for including the 10Tenths group shot in the book Gavin....top man!

Unfortunately, having tipped off those who usually request birthday present ideas from me, I'm going to have to wait until June to get my mits on a copy.

One thing that does strike me about the picture, is how quiet the scene appears to be. We all know the reality, but with little more than a scattering of people in the tribunes across the track, and no visible signs that anything is about to happen on track, it's hard to believe that shot was taken just an hour before the start of the race.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3054597)   #23
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
received my copy today, great book Gavin!
Old 6 Apr 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3054604)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Thank you for including the 10Tenths group shot in the book Gavin....top man!

Unfortunately, having tipped off those who usually request birthday present ideas from me, I'm going to have to wait until June to get my mits on a copy.

One thing that does strike me about the picture, is how quiet the scene appears to be. We all know the reality, but with little more than a scattering of people in the tribunes across the track, and no visible signs that anything is about to happen on track, it's hard to believe that shot was taken just an hour before the start of the race.
True indeed. I now have it on order too.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3055052)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The AGM for Reprobates R Us... I hope to make it this year!