Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 26 Aug 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2528258)   #301
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There is a reasonable amount of testing over the winter, surely, if Summerton were to be confirmed early enough and the car ready to test early enough.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2528280)   #302
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
There is a reasonable amount of testing over the winter, surely, if Summerton were to be confirmed early enough and the car ready to test early enough.

If they are thinking of him then I would be inclined to give JR a shot. Not Larry Hagman, no the real deal JR Hilebrand, kids quick. He's even got F1 experience, altho of the DFV WR6 Wolf variety...
Old 26 Aug 2009, 02:41 (Ref:2528293)   #303
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Loeb's people approached USF1 not the other way around so I wouldn't read too much into it. I did however hear Peter Windsor say on SPEED tv that they are looking for experienced drivers now so not necessarily American drivers Summerton may be reserve driver now. Limited testing being the reason.
Rossi is the reserve.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2528414)   #304
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=ptclaus98;2528293]Rossi is the reserve.[/QUOTE

Presumably with funding from them to do GP3 or even GP2 next season as well?
Old 26 Aug 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2528484)   #305
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
If they are thinking of him then I would be inclined to give JR a shot. Not Larry Hagman, no the real deal JR Hilebrand, kids quick. He's even got F1 experience, altho of the DFV WR6 Wolf variety...
Hilebrand is good - If it were me, I'd have him as the reserve to Summerton, but try to get him into GP2. Though one option would be to test both and make a last minute decision next March - one to go to F1, the other to go to GP2.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2528545)   #306
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Presumably with funding from them to do GP3 or even GP2 next season as well?
I hope he moves into WSbR or GP3. GP2 might be a bit much.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2528548)   #307
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Hilebrand is good - If it were me, I'd have him as the reserve to Summerton, but try to get him into GP2. Though one option would be to test both and make a last minute decision next March - one to go to F1, the other to go to GP2.
Sounds like a plan. Get Hildebrand more seat time on F1 tracks.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2528595)   #308
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about GP3. Until it's up and running and we know who's in it, it's hard to judge whether it'll be any good or not

F2 would probably be a better bet. Yes, it doesn't go to many F1 circuits, but it's cheaper and will be in its 2nd year next year
Old 26 Aug 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2528620)   #309
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, i have something to say about Alexander Rossi
http://alexanderrossi.com/article.cfm?id=126
Quote:
I was offered the opportunity to run in the F3 Euro Series, British Formula 3 International Series, Italian F3, International Formula Master, Formula Two, International F3000, Formula Renault Eurocup, Atlantic Championship, Indy Lights, and Star Mazda
So he choosed f-master over formula2 and i think this was right.
Quote:
After looking at our budget and available seats, it seemed that the Atlantic Championship was going to be the best place for me in 2009
from JOWT blog , atlantic cost 700.000-850.000 for a season , so i think Rossi has the money for Gp3, WSR, and hopefully for gp2. Testing with bmw and becoming usgpe reserve driver ( i hope this true) will deffinitely help to raise money.
Quote:
of an International Formula Master car via a pre-season test. I immediately snatched the opportunity to compete in Europe in a car that would prepare me exceptionally well for the likes of World Series by Renault and even GP2.
I think this two series , where he want to drive.
I guess gp3/gp2 will be better choise so he can travel with the usgpe team everywhere and learn , thats how he can be 100% reserve driver, not just test-driver without real testing.
Gp3 better bacause this series costs less + he can finish top5 there.
gp2 otherwise will let him prepare better for F1, so if he is 100% replaces Wurz in 2011 then he should do gp2.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2528627)   #310
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I don't know about GP3. Until it's up and running and we know who's in it, it's hard to judge whether it'll be any good or not

F2 would probably be a better bet. Yes, it doesn't go to many F1 circuits, but it's cheaper and will be in its 2nd year next year
I'd really rather him be in WSbR because they'll have a competitive field, with Hartley, Pic, Turvey, and Martinez probably staying, Ricciardo, Bianchi, Coletti, moving up from F3, that would be a good field.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2528703)   #311
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USF1 definitely needs to get a few young American drivers onto the European ladder if they want to fill their seats with Americans. I think their best bet is to get the most talented into the junior formulae and use experience F1 drivers for now.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2528715)   #312
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
I think the should have started with a WSbR team or something like that, because remember, this isn't just an American focused effort from a driver standpoint, but the engineers and mechanics as well, the experience for them in the junior formulae would have been just as vital as well, and they should have probably at least have done it as a side venture.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2528734)   #313
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica surely will find a seat with one of the existing teams, but which one?
McLaren are seriously looking at Rosberg.
Williams already have discontinued their Toyota contract, so Nakajima will not be with them next year.
Trulli's contract with Toyota was not renewed, but Glock's was, so there is a car available at Toyota.
The successor of Sauber probably wants to keep Heidfeld because he is a proven development driver, and it's possible that Williams might be interested as well, should Rosberg leave for another team. The 2nd Sauber driver might be a pay driver, so with their Malaysian connections, it can only be Fairuz Fauzy, who led the A1GP standings at one point during the past season.
Kovalainen appears to be on the hot seat at McLaren, but where could he go?
Renault want to keep Alonso, but if he stays, would they keep Grosjean in the 2nd car? It's too early to tell, since Romain has only just driven his GP debut.
The Red Bull stable looks pretty constant: Webber, Vettel, Buemi, Alguersuari.
Pedro De La Rosa is rumored everywhere as driving one of the Campos cars next year.
Nobody knows anything about Manor, though.
USF1 is subject to many a speculation, from Wurz being their #1 driver (which doesn't look too serious to me) to Jacques Villeneuve making a comeback (which wouldn't be a good choice since he's been away for too long) and the 2nd driver being an American for sure.
Ferrari's choice of drivers is somewhat dependent on the recovery of Massa. My guess is that Raikkonen will continue and Massa will do so as well.
At Force 1ndia, it appears as though Liuzzi will be in one of the cars, and since Sutil has performed well this year, he may be the one of their current drivers that they will keep. And an experienced guy such as Fisichella surely will find a drive with 3 new teams joining the series.
But where does that leave Kubica, Kovalainen and Alonso?
Old 26 Aug 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2528738)   #314
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Trulli's contract with Toyota was not renewed, but Glock's was, so there is a car available at Toyota.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78012

hmmm....first no Fuji and......
Old 26 Aug 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2528767)   #315
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let's do this one at a time.

Brawn : Don't forsee any change unless Rubens retires.
RBRx2: Ditto - they've got four good drivers, no need to change.
Ferrari : Can't see them buying Kimi out of his contract. Only real possibility of change is if Massa isn't able to race (possible but unlikely).
McLaren : Lewis is staying obviously. As far as the second seat, who knows - but I think Heikki is the most likely.
Toyota : Looks like Trulli is staying, but will Glock go? If he does, I think Kamui Kobayashi would be first in line to this seat. That is presuming they stay.
Williams : Rosberg could stay, but Huelkenberg could be an alternative to Nakajima if Kazuki doesn't up his game.
Renault : Fernando probably doesn't have any new real options. However, Alfonso always wants to have a useless team-mate, so the question is if Grosjean will continue there.
Team formerly known as BMW : Kubica could be getting a seat elsewhere, otherwise it's who knows.
Force India : Sutil could stay, otherwise it's in the who knows category.
USF1 : Expect at least one US driver. Is Bourdais eligable for a US passport? (His wife is a US national, and presumably his kids are).
Campos : De La Rosa and Petrov rumoured, could happen.
Manor : No idea.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2528777)   #316
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ferrari : Can't see them buying Kimi out of his contract.
Why not? If Santander want Alonso in the car, they'll pay for him to be in the car

I can't understand why so many people are in denial about Alonso going to Ferrari. It's a case of when it's going to be announced, rather than if. Massa's injury might have given Kimi a lifeline but Alonso's going to be in a Ferrari next year come what may, I think
Old 26 Aug 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2528857)   #317
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Why not? If Santander want Alonso in the car, they'll pay for him to be in the car

I can't understand why so many people are in denial about Alonso going to Ferrari. It's a case of when it's going to be announced, rather than if. Massa's injury might have given Kimi a lifeline but Alonso's going to be in a Ferrari next year come what may, I think
They've pushed it back, the Ferrari World Finals and the year end banquet are in Spain, Santander are sponsoring the car. If that's not enough of a clue for some people, I should hope none of you are in law enforcement.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2528867)   #318
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
They've pushed it back, the Ferrari World Finals and the year end banquet are in Spain
Hadn't heard that one, but a quick Google search proves it's true - they're being held at the circuit at Valencia from 12th to 15th November

That's a bit of a giveaway
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2528874)   #319
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Hadn't heard that one, but a quick Google search proves it's true - they're being held at the circuit at Valencia from 12th to 15th November

That's a bit of a giveaway
What the hell do Davidson and Croft talk about on Fridays? The SPEED guys have talked about it every Friday since Silverstone.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2528875)   #320
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What the hell do Davidson and Croft talk about on Fridays? The SPEED guys have talked about it every Friday since Silverstone.
I think one of the SPEED guys (Hobbs?) works for Ferrari, so he should know!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2528878)   #321
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
I think one of the SPEED guys (Hobbs?) works for Ferrari, so he should know!
Both of them are retired. Last I heard, Hobbo was moonlighting as a Honda dealer. Steve works for SPEED and F1 Racing occasionally, and Varsha is SPEED all the way.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2528879)   #322
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Usually spend most of the time responding to texts and emails

Alonso to Ferrari really hasn't got as much attention here. I think the BBC must be just avoiding it for some reason, although Whitmarsh got it going again with his comments last Friday

I think a lot of people, maybe more over here than elsewhere, have just accepted it. I notice a lot of the people that are still in denial are either fans of Raikkonen, Alonso or Massa
Old 27 Aug 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2528925)   #323
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I notice a lot of the people that are still in denial are either fans of Raikkonen, Alonso or Massa
Yup, the first!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 04:36 (Ref:2528980)   #324
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Alonso is going to Ferrari for 2010 end of story. You heard it hear last. Kimi could end up at McLaren now that Kovalinen has been told to up his game or he is gone which basically means bye bye
Old 27 Aug 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2529124)   #325
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Agree, Ferrari want Alonso and Massa next year (health permitting). Excuse the pun, but Kimi is being left out in the cold.

Ferrari are well aware that due to the regulation changes, there are more competitive teams at a similar level to themselves. Both Alonso and Massa are racers - both good at squeezing the best out of the car, even if it is not the best car on the track and both not afraid to mix it with other drivers. Ferrari will need this style of driver next season.

Kimi is the type of driver who's great in a good car that he can put on pole and then win from the front. He's not good when he finds himself scrapping in mid field and very quickly loses interest and motivation when the car is not perfect. Brawn is the only current team that would be suited to Kimi's driving style and personal motivation. Ferrari are not short on money. If they need to pay Kimi off, the can and will. They can also well afford to leave him in cold storage - pay his wages, but dont put him in a car.

I know Kimi has a lot of fans out there who are in denial, but the truth sometimes hurts. Whether is down to changes in regulations, changes at Ferrari or that Kimi is demotivated for whatever reason, he is not the driver he used to be and is not good enough to deny Alonso or Massa a seat.
Closed Thread