Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Apr 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3233958)   #1
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cracked rim halves

I cracked a rim half the other day, at about 200 kmh, resulting in a rapid tyre deflation and some increased heart rate, but luckily not much damage.

The rim is held together with 8mm bolts, where all my other ones are 6mm. Would this leave too little material in the rim half, causing the crack?

Do they just work harden and need to be replaced after a certain amount of use?

Does rough tyre changing lessen the life?

Jeff

Old 15 Apr 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3234709)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Looking at your photo it seems as though the cracking has occurred only around the holes which have studs through them - the holes with caphead screws appear to be intact. I'm guessing that the capheads are the original M6 screws while the studs are M8?

If so, I can see two possible contributory factors for the cracking:

1. Drilling the holes out to accommodate the M8 fasteners has weakened the rim.

2. Drilling the holes out has left a rough finish in the bores, producing stress raisers which have facilitated crack propagation.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 02:47 (Ref:3235004)   #3
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Looking at your photo it seems as though the cracking has occurred only around the holes which have studs through them - the holes with caphead screws appear to be intact. I'm guessing that the capheads are the original M6 screws while the studs are M8?
The bolts and nuts are the same, they just alternate around the wheel for some reason.

Jeff

Old 16 Apr 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3235201)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those wheels look to be quite old? Very much doubt that 8mm drillings would be a good idea anyway,it was six for a reason. I would have thought the combination of over drilling and possibly over tightening would have caused your problem.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 13:37 (Ref:3235297)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Very much doubt that 8mm drillings would be a good idea anyway,it was six for a reason.
Not something I'd ever do unless there was a LOT of metal around the holes.

Quote:
possibly over tightening would have caused your problem.
Reminds me of one of our fitters whose technique for tightening capheads was to slide a pipe over the Allen key, tripling its effective length, then hammer on the pipe! I never could explain to him the dangers of overtightening.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3236498)   #6
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is not a fitter, he is a fuc ker!

As for age, crack testig would n't be a bad idea every year or so depending on use
Old 6 Sep 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3299835)   #7
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Cracked another one on the weekend at Phillip Island. Thankfully, it didn't go flat suddenly at speed this time, but felt slippery, making me slow down until I realised what was happening. I think I will replace them all with new ones.

Jeff