Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Jan 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3190666)   #2776
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Three points I'm taking away from the P1 situation:

1. Le Mans and the run up to it matters. The WEC after Le Mans not so much. Which is to say the incremental benefit of racing post Le Mans isn’t worth the additional cost to several teams — and that’s a very bad sign for the WEC.

2. Toyota just does not place that much value on winning the WEC.

3. Given how weak P1 numbers are looking for WEC this year, it makes me wonder what 2014 will look like. Will we see any privateer P1s then?
1. For a couple of years, the old WSC tried putting the majority of the races before Le Mans. I don't know how well it worked in attracting more entries.

2. This is the big negative with Le Mans. It is the crown jewel of sports car racing, yet it demotes everything else to a secondary objective. Similar to how the Indy 500 is more important than the IndyCar championship. The ACO has to find a way to advertise the WEC champion to make it important enough for teams to compete in.

3. I think both Toyota and Audi will stay, along with Porsche when 2014 comes. As for privateers, there is a really big question mark. OAK has mentioned that they want to build a P1. HPD and Lola are question marks.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3190695)   #2777
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can't blame Toyotas for not wanting to go all-out in 2013 with a car which won't be competitive in 2014 (Sure, there will be "grandfather" rules, but when has a grandfathered car ever won (except Sebring 2011 because the big teams broke and crashed)?

My question is whether Toyota will be back in 2014, with any number of cars. if so, I'd expect a longer-term commitment, given that the car ought to be viable for a few seasons.

Sounds to me like there is a lot of internal conflict at Toyota between the guys who love to race and the guys who love to make money. i'm guessing Japanese politics and economic growth are a better predictor of whether we will see them in 2014 than their 2013 race results will be.

And if they do win Le Mans ... Sayonara, we got ours.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3190697)   #2778
Nigma
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
Nigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Toyota get 1-2 finishes at Spa and Le Mans so they can show the higher ups what they've missed out on getting continuously.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3190696)   #2779
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Putting a lot of races before Le Mans can make the teams run out of money before the 24hr. A big shunt in April with a written off car and the 24hr are gone.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 22:40 (Ref:3190779)   #2780
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
No, it says that we can clearly expect them to be there (which is not as firm as an announcement from the team itself).
Isn't that the same thing? The site says they'll race there = expects them to be there.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3190791)   #2781
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
I hope Toyota get 1-2 finishes at Spa and Le Mans so they can show the higher ups what they've missed out on getting continuously.
I genuinely think they'd pull out of sportscars on the spot if they managed that.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3190810)   #2782
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think the opposite is true.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3190813)   #2783
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think the opposite is true.
Le Mans victory = mission accomplished for Toyota bean counters.
Old 17 Jan 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3190817)   #2784
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Agreed
Old 17 Jan 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3190822)   #2785
Nigma
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
All I want to see is Sarrazin capable of running all year in a super competitive car. :/
Old 17 Jan 2013, 23:43 (Ref:3190823)   #2786
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Who are they? I hear this a lot with no basis. Akio Toyoda is a racing and sportscar buff. Hes running the company now, not beancounters. Toyota before was about being #1. Now its headed in another more sporty direction. I dont buy that thinking anymore.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 00:12 (Ref:3190835)   #2787
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
All I want to see is Sarrazin capable of running all year in a super competitive car. :/
You already said that. Maybe he will get a seat in the most competitive LMP2 car with 8star
Old 18 Jan 2013, 00:57 (Ref:3190847)   #2788
Nigma
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
I know, but I can't seem to get my dissatisfaction across that Sarrazin isn't getting a full time drive.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3190888)   #2789
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Akio Toyoda is a racing and sportscar buff. Hes running the company now, not beancounters."

No multinational corporation is "run" by a person. If he went and spent the entire budget on racing, I assume you think he'd be fired, right? Extend it out ... if he tries to spend too much he will be replaced or simply not given the funds.

The fact that "Akio Toyoda is a racing and sportscar buff" is proabbly why we see Toyota at all in the WEC. But if Akio Toyoda was really 100% in control, why don't we see a three-car effort?

I admit I don't know all of Toyota's corporate by laws and business structure, but I know a little bit about how big corporations work, and the idea that the top guy has absolute freedom doesn't fit in with that. I could be wrong.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 04:33 (Ref:3190919)   #2790
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
"Akio Toyoda is a racing and sportscar buff. Hes running the company now, not beancounters."

No multinational corporation is "run" by a person. If he went and spent the entire budget on racing, I assume you think he'd be fired, right? Extend it out ... if he tries to spend too much he will be replaced or simply not given the funds.

The fact that "Akio Toyoda is a racing and sportscar buff" is proabbly why we see Toyota at all in the WEC. But if Akio Toyoda was really 100% in control, why don't we see a three-car effort?

I admit I don't know all of Toyota's corporate by laws and business structure, but I know a little bit about how big corporations work, and the idea that the top guy has absolute freedom doesn't fit in with that. I could be wrong.
Why so literal? I didn't say he ran the whole company on his own. He's the CEO and has sway and say in which direction Toyota takes. Venturing into unprofitable businesses isn't wise no matter how much you love something. That includes racing. Hybrid technology is still young and promoting it right now through racing is basically the WEC in LMP1 and SuperGT 300. Maybe you only follow Toyota through their racing. I follow Toyota through all aspects, not just racing. Lots of things are tying into these programs going on. Whether they continue on with this is to be seen, but thinking one and done is premature. TMG is not just a racing arm, it's a business. A good business, and there may be more to it being a business and making a name and money for itself and Toyota that could be involved in this LMP program. Not to mention TMG is Ferrari's 'temporary home' for this season's F1 car.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 05:22 (Ref:3190932)   #2791
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
There we go Graham says on MWM what I've been saying - McLaren GTE is dead.
Tears fill my eyes. What a shame
Old 18 Jan 2013, 05:27 (Ref:3190934)   #2792
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
What a wasted oppurtunity. So sad right now.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3191036)   #2793
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The best thing for TMG and sports cars would be them coming really close to winning Le Mans this year.

Enough for the HQ to keep faith in them but not actually doing it, I think that scenario would lead to a 2014 car.

As most people here, I'm pretty sure they'll be gone if they win. If 2014 would just be a matter of continue running the car then this wouldn't be as crucial but seeing how a brand new car must be build I don't think the incentive for the bean counters is still there if they win.

Looking at how well the TS030 performed last year I "fear" they will win this year and the dream of more than two manufacturers competing at Le Mans will once again be crushed.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3191041)   #2794
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Dagys:

Quote:
Looks like there were at least 12 entry requests for #WEC LMP2.
https://twitter.com/johndagys/status/292231806164537344

Last season (apart from Le Mans) there were around 10-11 WEC LMP2 cars on the track just about for the whole season, particularly from Spa onwards when Signatech and Lotus went to two cars. So at least one class in the WEC looks to be enjoying some degree of stability.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3191110)   #2795
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not a surprise but looks like Felbermayr-Proton will be back in the WEC. Still not 100% but seems like they will be there when the lists come out.

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-15339.html
Old 18 Jan 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3191201)   #2796
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let´s see if they can get a full WEC entry, they have one of the best liveries. GT-Am is a likely option for them using 2012 car.

Do you know if IMSA Performance will enter WEC GT-Am class?
Old 18 Jan 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3191207)   #2797
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Do you know if IMSA Performance will enter WEC GT-Am class?
Yep that entry is confirmed for IMSA - Narac/Bourret/Vernay.

Every entry is precious right now!
Old 18 Jan 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3191269)   #2798
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now I'm confused. Didn't Pascal Gibon go to IMSA Performance? I'm 0-for-a lot on remembering driver lineups today, so I'm sure I made some mistake there.

Good for Vernay to be in that ride.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 23:03 (Ref:3191272)   #2799
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Now I'm confused. Didn't Pascal Gibon go to IMSA Performance? I'm 0-for-a lot on remembering driver lineups today, so I'm sure I made some mistake there.

Good for Vernay to be in that ride.
You had me doubting myself there but here we go:
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-14983.html

Bourret defected from Larbre.
Old 18 Jan 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3191291)   #2800
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So if my math is correct based on announced and expected programs we have:
5 LMP1
12 LMP2
8 GTE Pro (if I am reading correctly there will be 4 Astons?)
7 GTE Am

I am excited to see Gulf ME is actually going ahead with their art car. I bet it will be gorgeous in the flesh.