Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 3 Aug 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1979627)   #51
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All right, here is what we have mentioned so far, not in any particular order (yet) apart from Grand Prix and Le Mans which seam to be the most favorable. Some just don't even deserve even a mention (in my eyes) but hey this is an open forum and others have a right to their opinions.

Feel free to put them in an order you feel is top to bottom. If you want draw a line you just wont cross ie: the crap stuff

Grand Prix
Le Mans
Michel Valliant (or Need for Speed)
Viva Las Vegas
Indianapolis
Bobby Deerfield
The World's Fastest Indian
Such Men are Dangerous
The Green Helmet
Roary the Racing car
Erm
Smash Palace
Checkpoint
Winning
Running on Empty
Herbie, Fully Loaded
Herbie, all the other Herbie’s
Talladega Nights
Driven
Cars
Days of Thunder (that ones just for b1ackcr0w)
La Passione
Two Lane Blacktop
C'Etait un Rendez-Vous
Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, Russ Meyer
On any Sunday
Weekend of a Champion (more of a documentary)
Taxi 4
Taxi 2

Yet to be released
Speed Racer
The life of Archie Scott Brown
Old 3 Aug 2007, 10:15 (Ref:1979747)   #52
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There will also be a film about the life of Bruce McLaren. Not sure when it is out.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 13:09 (Ref:1979860)   #53
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'll agree on all the votes for Grand Prix and Le Mans.
The book "A FRENCH KISS WITH DEATH", although expensive is a very good biography of Steve McQueen and a lot of fascinating detail about the making of the film.
Nobody has mentioned the music in Grand Prix - it adds a lot to the film, in my view, and was written by Maurice Jarre who also wrote the music for 'Dr Zhivago' 'Lawrence of Arabia' 'Is Paris Burning' 'Witness' and others.
Although not strictly motor racing (and it has been mentioned) the music in Vanishing Point (the original one with Barry Newman - not the dreadful remake!) is absolutely stunning.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1979880)   #54
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon the best racing/car films would have to be:
#1. The Ballard of Ricky Bobby
#2. The Italian Job (The 1960's one, not the over glossed 2003 Hollywood made one that is more plastic than Posh Spice and Barbie put together)
#3. The Herbie films
#4. Mad Max II: Road Warrior
and #5: Fast and Furious (Even though it was a bit wooden)
Old 4 Aug 2007, 09:04 (Ref:1980317)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Time for Armchair folks to have a go, I think!
Old 4 Aug 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1980354)   #56
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
There will also be a film about the life of Bruce McLaren. Not sure when it is out.
I've been eagerly awaiting the release of that movie!

Of the Motorsport films, I've have to put Le Mans up the top with Grand Prix a close second. Wish I had them on DVD...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Aug 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1980366)   #57
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, I've not seen very many of the films listed! Here's the ones that I have seen in order of my favourites:

Cars
Talladega Nights
Grand Prix
C'Etait un Rendez-Vous
Days Of Thunder
Le Mans
Fast And The Furious
Herbie
Driven

I guess I should go check out eBay and pick up some of the others...

Oh, and I feel another thread coming on 'Best Car Movie Ever'... anyone wanna go ahead and start that?
Old 4 Aug 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1980634)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The worst: Driven.

The best: Le Mans.

Not films in the Hollywood sense, but I enjoy the MotoGP features: "Faster" and "The Doctor, The Tornado And The Kentucky Kid".
Old 4 Aug 2007, 17:51 (Ref:1980784)   #59
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Film I'd like to see is a biopic of Bira
Old 4 Aug 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1980835)   #60
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Her of Atlas fame? She was scary
Old 4 Aug 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1980922)   #61
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May not be a movie as it's more a documentary, but it "feels" like a movie - try "Red Mist Stuff". Mosport Park Imsa 1983, based around the Group44 XJR5 effort.
Try it, you might like it...
Old 4 Aug 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1980928)   #62
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Watching Rush Hour 2 just now, I remembered that Jackie Chan was in a racing movie. I haven't seen all of it, just a bit at the end a freind let me see many years ago. It is called Thunderbolt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder...281995_film%29

I saw a film on TV many, many years ago that was based around Champ Car in the late 80's/early 90's. I can't remember the name of it, only that the main character was a test driver promoted into a race seat after a driver was killed and he had a VW camper van which he didn't like 'cause he didn't like manual gears. A line from the film I remember is "we are two competitors who are paid by the same man", said some snooty French driver. Anyone seen this film or know what it is called?

By the way, I ordered Michel Valliant on DVD.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 03:44 (Ref:1981177)   #63
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Watching Rush Hour 2 just now, I remembered that Jackie Chan was in a racing movie. I haven't seen all of it, just a bit at the end a freind let me see many years ago. It is called Thunderbolt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder...281995_film%29

I saw a film on TV many, many years ago that was based around Champ Car in the late 80's/early 90's. I can't remember the name of it, only that the main character was a test driver promoted into a race seat after a driver was killed and he had a VW camper van which he didn't like 'cause he didn't like manual gears. A line from the film I remember is "we are two competitors who are paid by the same man", said some snooty French driver. Anyone seen this film or know what it is called?

By the way, I ordered Michel Valliant on DVD.
Thunderbolt is lame as. You probably are not missing much. And I'm a Jackie fan as well.
Old 5 Aug 2007, 12:14 (Ref:1981439)   #64
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know if it's been mentioned before- An American movie with Sylvester Stallone in it? All I remember frrom it is cars doing outrageously unrealistic crashes (two cars touch and one flips into a lake- as you'd expect ).
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 5 Aug 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1981465)   #65
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Driven. A cinematic classic.
Old 6 Aug 2007, 03:11 (Ref:1982122)   #66
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two more for the 'terrible' pile.

Thunder Dome with George Kennedy. Kennedy is bad and a car owner. Other people are less bad and make him pay.

And Death Race 2000 with Sylvester Stallone. So awful you have to see it. Really. Trust me. It's right up there with Plan Nine From Outer Space in awfulness.

Kramer
Old 6 Aug 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1982785)   #67
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I just found this one, a Bollywood NASCAR movie. You heard me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta_Ra_Rum_Pum

Anyone seen it?
Old 7 Aug 2007, 08:18 (Ref:1983183)   #68
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just found this one, a Bollywood NASCAR movie. You heard me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta_Ra_Rum_Pum

Anyone seen it?
No, not seen it. My advice, dont go their

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0833553/

Trailer
http://www.yashrajfilms.com/Movies/M...7-a9b23445eb62

Be sure to check out the user comments on IMDB, it dont look good
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0833553/usercomments
Old 7 Aug 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1983192)   #69
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I don't know if it's been mentioned before- An American movie with Sylvester Stallone in it? All I remember frrom it is cars doing outrageously unrealistic crashes (two cars touch and one flips into a lake- as you'd expect ).

As mentioned Driven. It's one of Knowlesy's favorites
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0132245/

I think the only decent thing in it was Gina Gershon

Old 7 Aug 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1983196)   #70
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Estella Warren too.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 09:10 (Ref:1983212)   #71
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
What was I thinking.

I left off one of the best race shows ever. With one of the best fields of cars ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tse7SA88eS0

enjoy
Old 7 Aug 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1983510)   #72
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Driven. A cinematic classic.
Excuse me
Old 7 Aug 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1983599)   #73
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to recommend "3" to you all.

It is by far and away the best race film i have seen. Even non NASCAR fans will like it imho.

It stars Barry Pepper and was made by ESPN of all people.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1983631)   #74
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
oooh... forgotten about '3'! Picked it up from the bargain bucket in Walmart for a buck too.

Has anyone seen 'Dale' yet?
Old 8 Aug 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1983852)   #75
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw a bit of one of them.

3 or Dale dunno which.

FASTER is the best motorsport movie, though.