Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Jul 2003, 22:17 (Ref:672781)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reliability of the Lesser Teams

I've noticed that many of the lesser teams seem to have reliability problems. Vasser being a prime example. Compare that to Junky who's never had a single thing go wrong for him this season. Have you guys noticed the same thing? Do you think this is because the lesser teams reuse parts more?
Old 27 Jul 2003, 22:29 (Ref:672793)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It could be that or just down to the level of preparation. A poorer level of preparation accentuates all stresses on the car - if one bit isn't working as well as it should be the other parts have to work harder.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 23:50 (Ref:672838)   #3
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's you are a Coyne wrench. Would you want to work your ass off knowing that all your work would be wasted before the warmup lap was even over?
Old 28 Jul 2003, 01:48 (Ref:672874)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps the lesser teams do reuse and have a lower level of prep due to the experience of certain members, I can't imagine why anyone has toruble with spec engines this year, and basically the same chassis. of course you can imagine different fluids and measure meants may be used- a prepped team from canada will use proper metric ratchets and sockets, on an English built and designed (metric) Ford cosworth, and a newer guy from Indianapolis might use standard and metric, and use Ft.lbs to torque when the Nt/M is what should be used- small differences with equivalents however, these small differences add up within the stressed members leading to part failure, this can possibly be seen in fluid as Quarts and Litres will differ in there 'equivalancies' just a touch leadin to less or more than was required causing gearlockups, differential troubles and what have you.
or swapping metric and standard bolts, the thread matches the lentgh is the same but perhap the strength is off, or the thread is indeed .001 mm not correct and it causes a separation, a socket stripping and a whol housing to crack...
Old 28 Jul 2003, 04:42 (Ref:672925)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yes gttouring, I guess an American mechanic who has been working on this type of car for years would still be completely flumoxed by the use of the metric system. and with there being far fewer teams than there used to be, and chassis such as Lola being the dominant chassis for years, than there would be hardly any American mechanics who would know standard from metric from whitworth.

I can see it now: a group of poor, under-educated American mechanics sitting up late at night trying to figure out how many foot-pounds in a liter, how many quarts it takes to fill a 10 milimeter socket.

I guess the only real solution here is to get a bunch of "worldly" mechanics from Belgium or Atlantis where they use the metric system all the time instead of the ugly American mechanics who only undertstand gallons and revenooers and stuff.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 04:43 (Ref:672926)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry for the double post, but maybe the Coyne wrenches are "pay" mechanics...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 28 Jul 2003 at 04:43.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.