Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Mar 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2150625)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kangaroo TV at Le Mans

After showcasing the technology to a select few at Le Mans last year, Kangaroo tv will be available to the masses in 2008. I know Paul Collins had the opportunity to test the system last year (so hopefully he'll be able to give us some insight), but has anyone else had experience of the system?

I'm interested, but at 80euros (that's over £60 at the current exchange rate) for the 5 days (Wednesday to Sunday) I need to have a serious think about it before deciding upon whether or not to part with my money.

And what about the coverage? The places I can imagine using it most are at the furthest reaches of the circuit; Tertre Rouge, Arnage and Mulsanne. Will these gizmos still receive a signal in these areas?
Old 13 Mar 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2150640)   #2
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's got good quality reception it's pretty much a no-brainer I think... especially if it's got a good number of onboard cameras to choose from besides the regular big screen footage... Does any1 know how many cars have onboard cameras? Because generally you don't see all that much onboard footage except from Audi and Peugeot, or sometimes AM or Corvette...
Old 13 Mar 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2150698)   #3
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about battery life? I imagine they are quite a drain.
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2150757)   #4
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would seriously consider it !! But only if it could reach Arnage, Mulsanne and the like, which i cannot imagine it would reach in the first year or two while they gauge usage!
Old 13 Mar 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2150776)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Be good to get Paul's view on this then as the tester - Paul?
Old 14 Mar 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2151600)   #6
The Tour
Rookie

England
Croydon
The Tour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw them at Daytona last year (or similar) and they are pretty impressive so I am defo up for one but as you say Le Mans could be a different kettle of fish. The old place dont like new technology and its a case whether it reaches the camp sites, arnage, etc. There is no reason why it shouldn't have this capability though.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 10:15 (Ref:2151607)   #7
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom
Does any1 know how many cars have onboard cameras? Because generally you don't see all that much onboard footage except from Audi and Peugeot, or sometimes AM or Corvette...
I heard rumour that they'll get some new onboard camera system for this year's race. Which is welcomed. At least last year the onboard cameras were pure crap. First of all, the signal kept breaking up in certain corners and audio was totally off (not synchronized). I just wonder how in the world it was possible to have technically better onboard camera system already in 1999, with better sound quality and without a breaking signal!
Old 14 Mar 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2151683)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds fab - I think you can get a timing screen as well on the system - let's hope it reaches as far as our gazebo on MB
Old 14 Mar 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2151684)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The coverage last year was not great - but that is largely due to it being a test platform. They only had 4 in car cameras, IIRC.

Audio choices were the French loudspeaker audio or RLM. Both digitally 'cast, so breakup was digital instead of the analogue fadeout you get with your FM radio.

Video was pretty good quality; I assume they'll have access to more cameras, instead of the director's cut, pit lane, and the in car cameras.

Data was what you really wanted it for. The LTS screens were excellent, and allowed us to watch the unfolding of the GT1 race over the last few hours - and we knew Ron Fellows was catching DB for about 10 laps before it actually happened (and we were told later that DB himself didn't know, as the team weren't telling him!).

As far as range is concerned, unless they put up repeaters, you won't be able to use these at Mulsanne or Arnage - but in theory they should work from Tertre Rouge to Porsche Curves. This came from the rep, who said they were using a similar antenna setup to what they use at an F1 event, where they cover the full circuit. Unfortunately I can't confirm whether it worked at TR, as I was a wee bit dopey when we rolled in there first thing in the morning, and left it in the car!

That said, from Expo Parking until we got on the grounds, I was not picking up a signal. (Perhaps blocked by the stands?) Compare that to RLM, which I was able to listen to in my B+B in the town of Arnage...

The unit came with two sets of batteries and a charger - but I had only used one full charge and about half the other charge by the time the race was over.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Mar 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2152260)   #10
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks Paul!

I think I'll send them an email direct to ask about circuit coverage. I remember you telling me last year that it was limited.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2154119)   #11
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I will still listen to radio 24H (96 MHz) or RLM. I'm afraid that this device makes me miss the essential : the cars, the atmosphere...
I'd rather stay home with MotorsTV and T&S...(which is perfect if we can't get on place).
What do you think of this impact ? Is it worth to use it ?
Old 16 Mar 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2154168)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
I think I will still listen to radio 24H (96 MHz) or RLM. I'm afraid that this device makes me miss the essential : the cars, the atmosphere...
I'd rather stay home with MotorsTV and T&S...(which is perfect if we can't get on place).
What do you think of this impact ? Is it worth to use it ?
I have no interest in using it for the TV pictures, nor do I need the RLM feed, but the opportunity to access live timing on demand makes the system very tempting indeed. If the guys at Kangaroo can guarantee reception at Arnage and Mulsanne, I'll probably go for it.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 09:02 (Ref:2154471)   #13
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I but the opportunity to access live timing on demand makes the system very tempting indeed.
Yep it's the timing screen for me as well.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2154588)   #14
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wish they had this for the Spa 24 Hours. Oddly enough when I went in 2006, the cameras shut off at a certain point in the night (due to no lights apparently). With this device, people could watch the onboards and follow it.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2154665)   #15
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscarguy08
I wish they had this for the Spa 24 Hours. Oddly enough when I went in 2006, the cameras shut off at a certain point in the night (due to no lights apparently). With this device, people could watch the onboards and follow it.
I'm not sure how much you'd see from onboards at Spa in the dark - some I guess but not very much!

But again, the timing screen would be useful, without media access or someone to translate the commentary it's virtually impossible to know what is going on.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2154735)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The ALMS uses a data only system, called the iCard (www.icardus.com). They were supposed to come out with an all new handheld system this year, as the original gameboy-compatible cards are not compatible with the newest gameboys, and it turned out to be a headache just what was do-able via that hardware. I have not yet seen any info of the new ones though.

I agree, the TV screens are likely to be a distraction / substitute for the experience, rather than an enhancement. Maybe the pit cameras would be useful, but that's about it IMO.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Mar 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2163709)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Thanks Paul!

I think I'll send them an email direct to ask about circuit coverage. I remember you telling me last year that it was limited.
The 'Project Coordinator' has very kindly emailed me a comprehensive response to my questions:

"We thank you and your colleagues for your interest in our product. The track being 13.6 kilometres long, testing was conducted last season to consider the most effective approach to take to ensure maximum customer satisfaction for the 2008 season. In the best interest of the majority of the attendees, coverage will be maximized within predetermined parameters to ensure optimal signal strength and stability.

The sections of the circuit that will receive optimal signal strength include and are not limited to the grandstands, lounges, garage area, media center, and the Le Mans Village. Coverage will extend beyond these core parameters slightly. So areas such as the Indianapolis & Arnage corners, and the Mulsanne corner will unfortunately not benefit from coverage. As for the Tertre Rouge, this would be the most outlying region of our signal and we cannot, at this point, guarantee optimal coverage. Concerning the Tertre Rouge, if you’d like to email me back, we will know for sure when we conduct our testing onsite on June 10th."
Old 28 Mar 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2163734)   #18
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting, I think a LOT of the value add has to do with coverage at Mulsanne, Arnage, etc. Hopefully this will be there in 2009.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2163805)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
It would likely take dedicated antennae for each of those two zones, and I believe they're currently only using 3 for the entire village... I think it needs to be impressed upon them that, although the population at the Village area is the largest portion of the crowd at any given time, the majority of potential users would migrate to the other zones over the course of the 24h race for significant periods - and that the machine's usefulness would be considered to be magnified at these outposts, as compared to within the village...

-Bill James
Old 28 Mar 2008, 13:17 (Ref:2163825)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
It would likely take dedicated antennae for each of those two zones, and I believe they're currently only using 3 for the entire village... I think it needs to be impressed upon them that, although the population at the Village area is the largest portion of the crowd at any given time, the majority of potential users would migrate to the other zones over the course of the 24h race for significant periods - and that the machine's usefulness would be considered to be magnified at these outposts, as compared to within the village...
These toys are of more use away from the main straight and the village, where you have large screens, why will people pay money for a smaller version of the large screens if all they have to do is position themselves somewhere they can see both the track and one of the large screens.
If you can use these devices as you travel to and from Arnage/Mulsanne then that will be even better.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 23:12 (Ref:2164213)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
I've now got a map showing the anticipated boundaries of the signal, but can't work out how to load it on here. I'll persevere, but may need some assistance............
Old 28 Mar 2008, 23:33 (Ref:2164223)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So where do I sign up?
Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:21 (Ref:2164235)   #23
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Finally.........

Old 29 Mar 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2164242)   #24
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
So where do I sign up?
Here!

I gather some of our French friends have encountered problems when completing and submitting the form (apparently there was a fault with the system and they weren't getting through to the bods at KangarooTV). If you choose that option and hear nothing back within a few days, it's probably failed. But, both the telephone number provided and the email address have proven successful.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2165096)   #25
GiacomoSgarbossa
Rookie

GiacomoSgarbossa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fia GT in 2008 with the support of Gigawave offer the same strument for allow at the public the possibility for see the race.

I'm very happy for this, becouse is a big problem for the affluence at the events