Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 Nov 2022, 04:41 (Ref:4135097)   #376
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Very cool.
More cool was how I found said Ciroen 'H' Van..... Driving close to home yesterday I spotted a "Vintage" Alfa Romeo driving at a decent lick on the road.

Decided to follow briefly hoping it would stop at lights or shops and I could look closer. Within a couple of miles it turned into a Private school. I followed him in.

To my complete surprise assembled in the grounds were many dozens of Alfa Romeos (plus a few other Italian intruders.... and a Citroen H Catering Van!) parked on the school grounds. I had stumbled upon the Alfa Romeo Club Day! So with sun shining and nothing better to do I 'parked and perved' for a couple of hours. The trip to the garden centre was aborted!

Found and chatted to said Alfa owners (Paul and John Lawson). It is one of three 1929 Alfa Mille Miglia Spiders, developed from the 6C 2300B by Enrico Nardi and Enzo Ferrari This was a true barn find; discovered on a property in Calabria, Italy, in 1979 by their father Andrew. The original chassis and and engine were found buried under 10 tons of rusted farm equipment, where they had remained undisturbed for 40 years. In fact, there were actually two cars, so he bought both and used the other for spares, as he lovingly restored the Alfa back to its original condition over a 30-year period.

It’s the same model Alfa Romeo that won the 1929 Mille Miglia. The car was raced by Ferrari, and damaged in Argentina. has an extensive race history having been raced in Europe, Asia, South America, North America and now
Australia where it has taken part in 12 Targa Tasmania and 5 Classic Adelaide’s events. (Under the Lawson family ownership its great to hear they use the car regularly and have covered over 100,000 RACING miles in it over the last 30 years, including many of the re-enactment of the Mille Miglia events.)

Anyway enough blah-blah, other than to say what a stunning car and as mentioned great to see it is used so much and not a "trailer Queen", driven regularly on the roads as well as its racing activity. It certainly has a well used patina to it.

Fortunately the camera was in my car, battery charged, so couple of pics....

Old 28 Nov 2022, 04:50 (Ref:4135098)   #377
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A couple of other pics of cars that caught my eye.... all road registered and driven in. Not a trailer to be seen.

Better than the planned day gardening!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 08:58 (Ref:4135120)   #378
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Classic Italian cars. Heaven!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 13:45 (Ref:4135177)   #379
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is amazing that they are all driven on the road! That Alfa is very nice too!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 14:25 (Ref:4135184)   #380
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is amazing that they are all driven on the road! That Alfa is very nice too!
We have a great (Club Permit) scheme here for those with classic and historic cars 25+ years old which is brilliant and encourages owners to drive them.... you pay minimal $ registration, (about $100pa as opposed to $8/900, and get an annual limit of something like 50 days use per year. The $100 includes 'TAC' insurance to cover for treatment and support services for people injured in accidents ie pedestrians, cyclists. Thats a part of general (non Club Permit) registration costs also

You have to be a member of a car club (apply through the club) and keep a logbook of journeys made. No mileage limit just a days used limit. You can drive interstate on Victorian Club permit plates.
Cars have to be roadworthy and meet standards.

You will notice most of the cars in the pics have number plates with maroon background and say Club Permit. Regular plates are white or black background.

Its actually the only way we can drive a left hand drive car here is on Club Permit plates. (In Victoria anyway).
Old 28 Nov 2022, 16:39 (Ref:4135205)   #381
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think she's a runner, getting pulled out of a yard in fancy pants Atlanta. With a 90s Caddy coupe too
Old 28 Nov 2022, 18:45 (Ref:4135234)   #382
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I don't think she's a runner, getting pulled out of a yard in fancy pants Atlanta. With a 90s Caddy coupe too
There might be some rust in the rocker but looks clean otherwise. A little shine juice would do her good, but that's a VGG special if there ever was one!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 18:46 (Ref:4135236)   #383
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
A couple of other pics of cars that caught my eye.... all road registered and driven in. Not a trailer to be seen.

Better than the planned day gardening!
Quote:
More cool was how I found said Ciroen 'H' Van..... Driving close to home yesterday I spotted a "Vintage" Alfa Romeo driving at a decent lick on the road.

Decided to follow briefly hoping it would stop at lights or shops and I could look closer. Within a couple of miles it turned into a Private school. I followed him in.

To my complete surprise assembled in the grounds were many dozens of Alfa Romeos (plus a few other Italian intruders.... and a Citroen H Catering Van!) parked on the school grounds. I had stumbled upon the Alfa Romeo Club Day! So with sun shining and nothing better to do I 'parked and perved' for a couple of hours. The trip to the garden centre was aborted!

Found and chatted to said Alfa owners (Paul and John Lawson). It is one of three 1929 Alfa Mille Miglia Spiders, developed from the 6C 2300B by Enrico Nardi and Enzo Ferrari This was a true barn find; discovered on a property in Calabria, Italy, in 1979 by their father Andrew. The original chassis and and engine were found buried under 10 tons of rusted farm equipment, where they had remained undisturbed for 40 years. In fact, there were actually two cars, so he bought both and used the other for spares, as he lovingly restored the Alfa back to its original condition over a 30-year period.

It’s the same model Alfa Romeo that won the 1929 Mille Miglia. The car was raced by Ferrari, and damaged in Argentina. has an extensive race history having been raced in Europe, Asia, South America, North America and now
Australia where it has taken part in 12 Targa Tasmania and 5 Classic Adelaide’s events. (Under the Lawson family ownership its great to hear they use the car regularly and have covered over 100,000 RACING miles in it over the last 30 years, including many of the re-enactment of the Mille Miglia events.)

Anyway enough blah-blah, other than to say what a stunning car and as mentioned great to see it is used so much and not a "trailer Queen", driven regularly on the roads as well as its racing activity. It certainly has a well used patina to it.

Fortunately the camera was in my car, battery charged, so couple of pics....

Beautiful photos of beautiful cars!!

And I'd like to think that there was a touch of smoke coming from at least one of those runners!
Old 28 Nov 2022, 20:16 (Ref:4135251)   #384
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris,the Alfa you followed looks like the one driven in England by Murray Rainey a few years back.
Old 29 Nov 2022, 00:13 (Ref:4135262)   #385
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
We have a great (Club Permit) scheme here for those with classic and historic cars 25+ years old which is brilliant and encourages owners to drive them.... you pay minimal $ registration, (about $100pa as opposed to $8/900, and get an annual limit of something like 50 days use per year. The $100 includes 'TAC' insurance to cover for treatment and support services for people injured in accidents ie pedestrians, cyclists. Thats a part of general (non Club Permit) registration costs also

You have to be a member of a car club (apply through the club) and keep a logbook of journeys made. No mileage limit just a days used limit. You can drive interstate on Victorian Club permit plates.
Cars have to be roadworthy and meet standards.

You will notice most of the cars in the pics have number plates with maroon background and say Club Permit. Regular plates are white or black background.

Its actually the only way we can drive a left hand drive car here is on Club Permit plates. (In Victoria anyway).
Great photos E.B. That looks like a fun meet.

And this is interesting.

Here in Virginia you can register as a vintage vehicle which means you don’t have to get safety inspection (which I’m not keen on) and I think there might be other things that make it easy. Although I am far from being an expert on it.

However you are limited to a certain distance from home, unless going to a show. And you can’t use it to commute to work.

So I registered mine fully for mainly the last reason. And I wasn’t to bothered about saying that I was driving to a show when traveling to Sebring or Road Atlanta. This was suggested to me!
Old 29 Nov 2022, 02:10 (Ref:4135266)   #386
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Great photos E.B. That looks like a fun meet.

And this is interesting.

Here in Virginia you can register as a vintage vehicle which means you don’t have to get safety inspection (which I’m not keen on) and I think there might be other things that make it easy. Although I am far from being an expert on it.

However you are limited to a certain distance from home, unless going to a show. And you can’t use it to commute to work.

So I registered mine fully for mainly the last reason. And I wasn’t to bothered about saying that I was driving to a show when traveling to Sebring or Road Atlanta. This was suggested to me!
Yeah, antique reg in VA got cracked down on when I lived up there. Were LOTS of older and POORLY maintained cars with the cheap reg on the road. And they didn't use to require insurance as it was assumed you would cause it was a nice old car not a beater.

Think they severely curtailed the miles "allowed" but not sure how they would enforce it.

Georgia has decent antique rules but think you still need insurance. Vehicle 25 years old OR car made to look like an older car, so you can have new chassis with old bodywork and get antique
Old 29 Nov 2022, 03:19 (Ref:4135271)   #387
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Chris,the Alfa you followed looks like the one driven in England by Murray Rainey a few years back.
Yes indeed. Very similar Murray had s 6C 2300 and an 8C. The 6C is the one that used to show up at Shelsley. In fact here is a pic of Joy at Shelsley in their 6C a few years ago.
Joy told me when I met up with her here 10 years ago that the 8C was sold but she had kept the 6C. I believe she sold that not long before she herself passed away in 2020.
Despite their small stature they were hugely courageous and adventurous individuals.
RIP to both Murray and Joy.

Joy Rainey at Shelsley in her 6C

For those here who know not of whom "rbs" and I are referring, Murray and Joy were Father and daughter, both 'height challenged', Australians who moved to the UK back in the fifties. Murray was 3 time Aus F3 Champion prior to departing. He still competed in the Alfa into his eighties.
Despite their height challenges they both were very capable steerers and Joy was holder of many records . Murray was an extraordinary engineer. I first met them back in the seventies when they rocked up to buy a race car I owned with a colleague. Murray turned that into the Murrain.... an FVC powered turbocharged Hillclimb special that Joy raced successfully. She also in her later years drove a Morris 1000 from London to Sydney retracing the old World Cup Rally route as well then she crossed South America in a Jeep on the Carrera Sud-Americana.
Also drove a 1904 Buick across the USA, which followed up by driving the same car across aAustralia. In her spare time she was a fervent advocate and supporter for advancing motor racing opportunities for those handicapped.
A good article here about Joy in particular (but there is a pic of Joy and Murray with both Alfas within.)

https://www.aronline.co.uk/the-great...en/joy-rainey/
Old 29 Nov 2022, 06:33 (Ref:4135279)   #388
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Re Joy Rainey and her trip in the 1904 Olds from California to Daytona Beach, here is a video showing highlights.... from Chilli Con Carne in New Mexico to Drag Racing etc.etc (Yes she took the Olds up the strip! She obviously had a ball, and made a lot of money for cancer research on the way.

https://youtu.be/h-Th0m6OpyI

Also a pre event interview with Joy covers a lot of her previous motorsport.. Warning: Lump in throat alert. Some of the lows are low.

https://youtu.be/mvjti1NazUU

Some of you seemed to enjoy the Italian car photos, so a few more from the day...

You could eat your dinner off the engine

Current stuff there as well.

Old 6 Dec 2022, 21:32 (Ref:4136293)   #389
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Nothing as cool as above but did the world tour of pickups last week

Followed him down the road a bit, and yes it smoked at every stop but sounded decent

Local taqueria, not sure this one moves though
Old 7 Dec 2022, 00:58 (Ref:4136307)   #390
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I want the top one.

And I think a race series with the bottom one would be ace. I think you have someone in the back like with a sidecar.
Old 7 Dec 2022, 03:09 (Ref:4136314)   #391
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I want the top one.

And I think a race series with the bottom one would be ace. I think you have someone in the back like with a sidecar.
I like your thinking, might need the guy in the back to help it corner without rolling too
Old 7 Dec 2022, 11:01 (Ref:4136333)   #392
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I like your thinking, might need the guy in the back to help it corner without rolling too
I think that was what Adam was referring to when he mentioned sidecars...
Old 8 Dec 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4136470)   #393
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think that was what Adam was referring to when he mentioned sidecars...
Old 9 Dec 2022, 13:09 (Ref:4136569)   #394
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't know what this is but I like it
Old 9 Dec 2022, 15:34 (Ref:4136578)   #395
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Buick Super or a Buick Eight Special?

A c 1952/53 Buick of some sort would be my guess. Very happy to be corrected though.

Edit: A bit similar to this; https://buffalocars.com/realrides-1754-053119.

or this https://www.alamy.com/an-old-america...3&searchtype=0

Last edited by E.B; 9 Dec 2022 at 15:43.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4136609)   #396
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Buick Super or a Buick Eight Special?

A c 1952/53 Buick of some sort would be my guess. Very happy to be corrected though.

Edit: A bit similar to this; https://buffalocars.com/realrides-1754-053119.

or this https://www.alamy.com/an-old-america...3&searchtype=0
I almost thought it was the exact car in that first story because the rust at the rear is very similar!
Old 9 Dec 2022, 20:02 (Ref:4136611)   #397
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I almost thought it was the exact car in that first story because the rust at the rear is very similar!
You are not alone there..... I also had a double take and then I read the other one was in Hamburg and no where near where you took the photo and realised it was just coincidence.
Old 9 Dec 2022, 22:00 (Ref:4136619)   #398
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It was a long way off sitting at the light on Peachtree

Old 10 Dec 2022, 02:07 (Ref:4136651)   #399
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
It was a long way off sitting at the light on Peachtree

That is cool, super old.

And I saw this in a garage today. It appears to not move.

Old 10 Dec 2022, 03:50 (Ref:4136656)   #400
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Getting back to this one I said a 52/53 Buick Super Eight of some sort....

I had a bit of a look around I think it can be closed down to a 1953 (the '53 had the 4 rear lights) Buick Super (Riviera) 2 door hardtop. That had no rear fins and was not pillarlesss.

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/...op-c-13921.htm

Scroll down for more photos (namely the rear 3/4 view)