Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2016, 20:49 (Ref:3663118)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Difference between F1 engines and Le Mans (?)

Hi everyone,

Do you know if there is much difference between F1 power units and the ones used in Le Mans? Do you think it would be easy for Audi or Toyota to switch to F1, with the knowledge they have gained in Le Mans?
Old 2 Aug 2016, 21:05 (Ref:3663121)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LMP regulations are much more varied than F1 and arguably more interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Audi are using a large capacity V6 turbo diesel, Porsche a small capacity V4 petrol engine, and Toyota using a 2.6 litre twin turbo V6. They employ differing energy recovery systems. Peak revs much lower than F1 - Audi, probably around 6k with petrol engined cars probably getting to 8k.

F1 engines are turbocharged 1.6 litre V6's capable of revving to 15k with multiple methods of energy recovery.

Whilst someone switching from one discipline to the other would have some experience to draw upon, fundamentally they are quite different and they would pretty much have to start from scratch with a clean sheet of paper.
Old 2 Aug 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3663122)   #3
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only thing they have in common is they both operate fuel flow limits and use energy recovery after that the concepts are different.

LMP1 power units have pretty open regulations as in there are many possible engine configurations that can be used. I don't think there are any limits on engine size or layout.
In F1 you must use a 1.6 litre V6 where a lot of the mayor dimensions are fixed as in bore stroke angle of the 'V' length etc and the turbo must be on a certain axis to name but a few.

It would be possible to run an F1 engine in LMP1, but how good it would be I don't know.
Old 2 Aug 2016, 22:32 (Ref:3663127)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To expand what others have said...

I think the "concept" is extremely similar between the two, but there are differences. More spec in F1, more open in WEC. Different energy levels (flow rates and ERS capacity). To the OPs question... Yes it would give them a leg up. However the F1 PU token system (going away soon if I remember correctly) makes it hard for anyone to jump in and catch up with the the existing factory PU suppliers.

Richard