Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2018, 18:26 (Ref:3831707)   #1
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Classic 2018 - Who's Going/Meet Up/etc.

Now that we are (hopefully) safely back home after the 24hrs we can focus our attention on returning to La Sarthe in July for the Le Mans Classic.

Who will be attending?

Where are you camping?

Are you arriving in an interesting classic car? (I believe one lucky Ten-Tenther will be driving a lap in his NSX....)

We've had a mini-meet at previous Classics, just a chance to catch up with each other at a set time, rather than the full-on festivities of the 24hrs Meet Up.

Perhaps around midday on the Saturday at the usual place? (unless someone wants to suggest an alternative? The Group C race finishes at 1215 so late arrival can be forgiven...)
Old 18 Jun 2018, 20:33 (Ref:3831756)   #2
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there with my wife doiing the 'namby pamby' aysedasi way. Because she is not a big car fan, promised her to only do a 'splash and dash' at the Classic and yes, the old 95 NSX can have a go in the parade lap.
Old 18 Jun 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3831765)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Will see later, but at the moment as my usual mob are not going this year it is doubtful. but then again i might just leap in the little car and head down
Old 19 Jun 2018, 00:26 (Ref:3831777)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'm loosely attached to the Sunbeam Alpine team so we're motorhoming and will be in Houx.
Old 19 Jun 2018, 01:00 (Ref:3831780)   #5
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Im going
Old 19 Jun 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3831874)   #6
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going. Arriving Friday.

I've rented a house about 25 miles south of the circuit, with a very easy route up via Arnage, but avoiding the busy centre of that village.
I'm sharing the house with an old pal who will take his own bedroom, but there are three double bedrooms, so one is currently free.
I'm posting here because I'd like to know the people who will be in the house!
The house is in a large park with masses of room to walk and relax; bicycles on site too. There are two bathrooms and a large living/dining/kitchen. Free wifi.
Rent for the whole house is €436 Friday 6 to Monday 9 July, so I'm looking for around €120 for the room over the weekend.

Love to meet up at the usual place in the Village, but noon is a little early with the group C race still underway. I'll be on the outside of the circuit until the race is over. What does anyone think?
Old 3 Jul 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3834401)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shall we have the meetup between the GrpC and 'Global Endurance' races? 1220-1320.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3834664)   #8
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Shall we have the meetup between the GrpC and 'Global Endurance' races? 1220-1320.
I'll try.
I've hangers-on needing constant care in my party, but I'll do my best.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3834694)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
I'll try.
I've hangers-on needing constant care in my party, but I'll do my best.
Can you claim an allowance for that Christopher.....?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3834697)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hope you guys have a great time. As I'm still under the influence of the post Le Mans 'blues', I'm pretty envious. Maybe when I retire.......
Old 5 Jul 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3834853)   #11
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Not shure, but I will try.
Old 6 Jul 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3834945)   #12
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure for me too. I'll be with family. I'll try........
Old 7 Jul 2018, 10:32 (Ref:3835156)   #13
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nous Sommes la!
Old 7 Jul 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3835229)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Really unhappy i am not there this year, first one i have missed after attending the second ever. However it is live on motorsport TV which by some piece of luck has magically returned to my sky box
Old 7 Jul 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3835255)   #15
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Missed the meeting, so sorry, must have been the heat.
Tried to move as little as possible today. I don't like non sun, but this must have been the hottest day ever at a 24.

Enjoyed the 3 parade laps this morning, we were told not to overtake the pacecar it was going so fast I didn't even see it. Not the ordinary paradelap, got to 200 km now and than.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3835373)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Nice one! As I say, I'm seriously envious - but not of that blazing sun. It's bad enough here right now.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3835408)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
Missed the meeting, so sorry, must have been the heat.
Tried to move as little as possible today. I don't like non sun, but this must have been the hottest day ever at a 24.

Enjoyed the 3 parade laps this morning, we were told not to overtake the pacecar it was going so fast I didn't even see it. Not the ordinary paradelap, got to 200 km now and than.
i hope the car is still ok, if is an old girl and thrashing her in that heat? but suspect the smile on your face doing that was rather large. Felt sorry for the owner of the 917 that appears to be broken in two.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3835424)   #18
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Read on Facebook that the 917 was rebuilt from the wreck that John Wolfe died in, and there's rumors that based on that superstition that the car's cursed as a result. This time the driver walked away but the car's definitely been binned again.
Old 8 Jul 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3835439)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Read on Facebook that the 917 was rebuilt from the wreck that John Wolfe died in, and there's rumors that based on that superstition that the car's cursed as a result. This time the driver walked away but the car's definitely been binned again.
Yes the car was rebuilt from the bits saved after that accident
Old 9 Jul 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3835640)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First time

Last time

Massively underwhelming, half the stuff they tell you to do on the website was wrong, so I booked all I thought I needed only to get there and realise I didn't need some of it or I did need some of it, I couldn't really tell.

Was far too hot to do anything other than stay in shade, and in the places I wanted to go as they were quiet like Arnage and Mulsanne, they chopped all the trees down, genius. Bit at least some sanctuary was found.

No-one selling programmes anywhere out there, only place you could get one was to go to main area, where I couldn't park. Another tossing pas was needed.

Campsite was fair, nothing more. But for the money.... Maybe not.

Track is nothing for the spectators, great for drivers, most of it is inaccessible.

So for me and the guy I went with, rather a waste of time, and will never, ever go there again.

Compared to the other so called less famous track in Germany, this place is a dump. We went with open minds honestly. The people were lovely, the twosn and villages we went to were too.

But the entry lists were full of non runners, a lot of the cars ran like bags of nails sometimes and it seems unless you were prepared to spend all night out there a lot of stuff was going on without you really knowing!

So lesson learned, you can keep it.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3835647)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Did you spend much time in the paddocks, that for all of the times i have been was the highlight, you get to see cars up close that you would never see on the roads and talk to owners/mechanics and even help out on some of the teams that consist of two blokes and not much else. always spend as much time there as i do watching the racing.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3835681)   #22
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yes the car was rebuilt from the bits saved after that accident
Wasn't Derek Bell supposed to be driving this 917?
Old 9 Jul 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3835706)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

So lesson learned, you can keep it.
I haven't been to the Classic since the first one in 2002 (far too close in time to the main race for me to justify it), so I can't comment on the organisation of the rest of the event. But for the comments about Le Mans in general you'll know already that I think you're talking from a place where the sun doesn't normally shine. But you won't mind that because we've been here before. As to the sun - what did you expect?! You must have known it was going to be blooming hot before you went....

So yes, those who love Le Mans - we're happy to keep it (and would have done anyway - with or without your rather predictable comments. I'd be tempted to say rather more but I suspect I'd be breaking some rules if I did, and as a mod, that just wouldn't do - would it?
Old 9 Jul 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3835718)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The tickets were bought months in advance, as were things like ferry bookings etc. So realy, what was I suposed to do, look at the forecast last week and cancel? There was limited sun cover anywhere, the trees were largely all gone at Arnage and Mulsanne, and there was no coverage at Porcshe Curves.

On the yellow site we were on there was no food stall selling anything on the insde of Porsche Curves, despite there being thousands of people there, one toilet.

Cmon man, I know you love the bloody place, but some of this is basics.

The event cost me a reasonable amount of money, I found the place as a whole dirty, rather disorganised and rather difficult to navigate around. It's a big event, and the traffic management was very good. I will say that.

To get around i needed something like 5 or 6 different tickets, which is pathetic.

No-one sold programmes anywhere other than the start and finish area, which i had tickets for, but could not park at, without paying for yet more sodding tickets.

As I say, it's for drivers, not fans. I went with an open mind, hoping it was going to be special.

it was about as special as Donington national on a Saturday in April sorry.

The website needs more information, better English which considering a lot of the people there were, needs to be done.

Why shouldn't I be able to buy a ticket for an area, that automatically brings up an alert saying "if you buy this you know you need to buy a car park ticket too yes? "

That is just plain bad sorry.

Plus sides, as I say traffic management was good. People were friendly at the track and in the towns. ferry and routes there was excellent.

GT6, to be honest I had already spent 300 Euros on tickets, camp, parking, spending even more on paddock stuff was just too much, we both simply wanted to go to see racing, and found it rather difficult to understand where to go, what we needed.

I had a ticket for the start and finish area I never used, because I was turned away from one car park, and all the others seemed to need yet another pass on top of the 6 I already had, make that 12 for two of us. One a gent in his 70's.
Old 9 Jul 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3835727)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK, I'm willing to accept that I may have been unfair - I wasn't there. I know several members who post here were - so, what do you reckon guys - chunder makes out a case for a fair degree of disorganisation/misinformation/no information. Your experiences?