Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 May 2004, 14:52 (Ref:968800)   #1
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeking Advice on attending Toronto race

I'm thinking about attending the Molson Indy race in Toronto this year. It would be my first visit to Toronto and to a ChampCar race (I have attended 5 F1 races in Montreal) I have two questions:

1) If I stay in downtown Toronto, will I be able to get to the circuit via public transportation?

2) Which grandstand(s) would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 12 May 2004, 16:37 (Ref:968913)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(1) If you stay at the Holiday Inn on King Street, you can probably walk to the circuit! But just about anywhere downtown will be accessible to the circuit by public transit. DO NOTE that Toronto steadfastly refuses to run the Public Transit before 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, so if you want to see any of the earlier races you will have to take a cab. Look for the Union label ...

(2) Silver Grandstands 21-23 are THE best; they are near the start/finish line directly across from the pits, and behind them is the exhibition hall with the beer garden, sales items, support paddock and underground tunnel connection to Thunder Alley.
Old 12 May 2004, 18:16 (Ref:968985)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You're welcome to crash at my place, but it's a 3-hour drive.
Old 12 May 2004, 18:28 (Ref:968999)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Actually, I look forward to this thread too. If I end up deeming LasVegas as either "fiscally-impossible" (or the race doesn't happen at all), I'll be wanting to go to my first race in TO. I'm in withdrawl, as I haven't been to an event since 2001 (when they left Michigan).

I'm also in want of Rush tix at the Molson Amphitheatre, as they've already gone on sale, but I digress...

If I go to TO, it'll be on "economy-mode". And most likely solo. I could stay with my family in St.Catharines and commute, but that would negate any foamy beverages. Kinda defeats the purpose! I'd be looking for a cheap hotel where rates + cabfare are (significantly) cheaper than a downtown hotel. Any help in this area would also be appreciated.

If enough (male) out-of-town regular members are going (solo), we could even consider splitting on the costs of a room as close as possible... I don't mind sleeping on the floor. Heck, it's better than the sidewalk!
Old 12 May 2004, 20:31 (Ref:969127)   #5
BizTeacher
Rookie

BizTeacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz is almost correct. the subway doesn't begin operating until 9am on Sunday so if you attempt to take the subway on the Sunday morning, you will miss a bit of the actions. The buses will be running during prior to 9am so you will be able to make it to the track on time. Anywhere downtown is good to stay, even Mississauga (on Dundas St) if you don't mind the extra communte. I noramlly take the 29 Dufferin Bus that runs South to the race. The service is frequent and it's a brisk walk to the back side of t he track. Check with TTC when you get into town (their webiste www.ttc.ca or drop them a line). I've got my grandstand tickets and pit pass reserved - i'm just waiting for the mailman to deliver them.

I would say crash at my house as it's about 45 mins from the track by public transit, but it's not my house - it's a family members and it's already brimmed to the rim with people - 4 bedrooms and 8-10 people depending on the day of the week.

Biz

Last edited by BizTeacher; 12 May 2004 at 20:35.
Old 12 May 2004, 20:38 (Ref:969136)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to know which bus though, and you have to get to the bus or the streetcar ... which you can't do from where I live until the subway starts running. Fortunately from my house I can walk down Bathurst street to Yonge and the streetcar runs from there. But there are always a crowd of angry punters at that stop on Sunday who weren't told that they could not take the subway before 9:00.

My place is only 2 rooms but if anybody wants to sleep on my floor, you would be welcome.
Old 12 May 2004, 22:47 (Ref:969295)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What suggestions do people have regarding parking? Where abouts would people suggest? Everyone agree with the Silver Grandstands 21-23 recommendation?
Old 13 May 2004, 03:22 (Ref:969403)   #8
tjfrizze
Rookie

tjfrizze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most definitely, grandstands 21-23 are the best. Gold grand stands behind the pits you cannot see anything in the pits! You can see every thing from silver 21-23. One year, we had Alex Zanardi waving the green and checkered flags just across from us in silver 23! Go transit seems to be the best way to get there.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:03 (Ref:969988)   #9
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
beware of some of the silver grandstand tickets - I had a pair in 22 (one of the highest rows) that were awful, you could see virtually nothing of the cars as they went past because they were hugging the nearside of the track and the front of the grandstand is quite raised up (it was almost like the cars were running under the stand)

seriously take care these tickets were for me awful and at $170 for 3 days not that cheap
Old 13 May 2004, 16:04 (Ref:969990)   #10
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as for transport the streetcar is pretty straightforward and runs from downtown

you could even walk if you're keen and not carrying a lot bags
Old 13 May 2004, 16:59 (Ref:970043)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
What's GA like? Any half-decent spots to see the track?
Old 13 May 2004, 19:42 (Ref:970211)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'm perusing the TO race's website right now...
A quick observation...

3-Day GA for Toronto: $65-CDN. For Detroit: $25-US.
Paddock Pass Toronto: $50-CDN. For Detroit: $20-US.

I realize that Detroit was a few years ago, but that's quite a noticable price-differential.

Another query...

Gold $255
Silver $170
Bronze $90
Thunder $85

Gold is out-of-the-question. That kind of money would have to include sleeping quarters in Danica's bus.
If choosing Silver, I'm thinkinag about Sec.23. Straigt across from the pits, but I wouldn't be surprised it this sells out quickly. Kinda pricey anyway.
Bronze? Perhaps Sec.33. Alot of track seems to be within sightline.
Thunder could potentially be alot of fun, too!

On second thought, if I'm gonna make the trek to TO, I might as well forget about GA and make it worthwhile. But the most important thing, IMO, is the PaddockPass.

Although the website doesn't advertise it, I do believe that if you could chalk-up a few dollars more, you could talk to a few owners and get a REALLY good seat. Complete with seatbelts! (Helmet optional).

I digress...
What would somebody recommend? Bronze 33, or Thunder? Or perhaps another Bronze grandstand?
Old 13 May 2004, 19:43 (Ref:970213)   #13
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are driving parking at Ontario Place works as long as you are early enough. I have done that several times without a problem.

As to the silver grandstand you need to be at the either end as in the middle parts the cars are too close to the wall.
Old 14 May 2004, 16:05 (Ref:971058)   #14
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the risk of being OT macdaddy, you can still get lawn seats for Rush. I sat at the silver grandstands in Toronto and purchaced them on the Friday of the the race; pricey but you get paddock access and a screen and all the pit action. I highly recommend them.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 14 May 2004, 17:37 (Ref:971107)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thanks for the info, Mags. Not sure if I wanna drive that far, only to sit on the lawn.

And I'm having second thoughts about the MolsonIndy, too. The family budget is rather tight, and it looks like that could easily turn into an expensive weekend. Especially when the ALMS at Mosport is a $50 ticket (incl. paddock), and camping is only $25 more.
Old 14 May 2004, 17:41 (Ref:971113)   #16
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
Thanks for the info, Mags. Not sure if I wanna drive that far, only to sit on the lawn.

And I'm having second thoughts about the MolsonIndy, too. The family budget is rather tight, and it looks like that could easily turn into an expensive weekend. Especially when the ALMS at Mosport is a $50 ticket (incl. paddock), and camping is only $25 more.
I'd take Mosport over the Indy anyday; because 1) you would camp with ME and 2) it's better value for the dollar.
As for the Rush show, one of the best ever I've seen was at the Shoreline from the grass in San Fransisco. Don't knock it! (Rush is ALWAYS worth it!)
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 14 May 2004, 21:26 (Ref:971317)   #17
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
macdaddy, if you are looking to save a few bucks then consider the bronze grandstand 32, which is part of the Bell Mobility village. This grandstand has a good view of turn 1 (the second best passing point on the course) and a Jumbotron located directly infront of the grandstand.

The secret is to have someone with a Bell Mobility cell phone order your ticket once Bell begins their yearly promotion. I believe last year Bell Mobility subscribers received a Paddock Pass either free, or for a low price with the purchase of a ticket.
Old 14 May 2004, 21:55 (Ref:971340)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Thank-you, Ac. As it so happens, I am a Mobility subscriber. Along with Sympatico, ExpressVu and long distance!

In my case, we've decided against the Molson GP of Toronto. (I dislike the use of the term "Indy" when describing ChampCars). I'm booking time off work tonight, in order to attend ALMS-Mosport instead. Any other regular ChampCar members planning on being there? I'm looking forward to meeting some of you!

I'm bringing this off-topic, and I digress. If you answered "Yes" to that question, let me know in the "Trackside" forum...