Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:10 (Ref:1968608)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mid-Ohio Race Weekend Thread

With the conclusion of the two practice sessions today, Dario Franchitti was the fastest with a 1:07.3 time...which is very, very quick.

I believe Kanaan was second fastest in the combined session times because he ran a 1:07.5 this morning.

Vision is back very far in the pack....Marco was in the top 6 in the 2nd session and Hornish and Helio have looked good. Dixon was in the top 5, IIRC...I haven't seen the combined session times chart yet.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1968624)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm gonna go research the CART CC times when they were last there in 2003 for comparison.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1968633)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks, Luke, I'm interested in knowing that...

I'm assuming they were faster, but how much faster??

I heard somewhere that the IRL test in June had cars running at this pace, and they were supposedly less than 6/10th off the CART pace from thiose days...but don't quote me on that.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1968656)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fastest time in 2003 with CART the last time they raced there was a 1:07.058 by Paul Tracy. It was the fastest time of the weekend in Qualifying 2.

2002 the fastest time of the weekend was 1:06.128 by Patrick Carpentier in Qualifying 2.

2000 when they had more horse power and more competition the best time was 1:05.347 by Gil de Ferran in qualifying 2.

I don't know what the peak was in CART but I think it was around 2000ish and before in terms of ultimate pace of the cars.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1968676)   #5
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/38847/

RHR replaced Simmons and now Matsuura is getting replaced at Panther IN THE MIDDLE OF A RACE WEEKEND
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1968709)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ahhhh , I cant get that link to work Peno

so whats the go , why is Kosuke out ? and who is replacing him ??
Old 20 Jul 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1968733)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yeah link didn't work for me either, I wasn't aware Kosuke was out.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1968752)   #8
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More details on the Matsuura thing

From www.irl-live.com
Super Aguri Panther Racing has scheduled a driver announcement for Saturday afternoon at 2:20pm at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

While speculations have been rampant, the team is expected to announce that Hideki Mutoh will run a third Panther Racing car in the IndyCar Series finale at Chicagoland Speedway on September 9th.

Presently, Super Aguri Panther Racing fields Kosuke Matsuura as a teammate to Delphi Panther Racing's Vitor Meira. The team also runs Mutoh under the Super Aguri Panther banner in the developmental Indy Pro Series. Sources close to the team have confirmed that Matsuura will be in the #55 car IndyCar Series machine for the rest of the season.

Mutoh has shown well in 2007, his first season racing in the United States and the first oval races of his career. He presently sits second in IPS points, 132 points behind Alex Lloyd who has dominated the 2007 IPS schedule with seven wins in eleven races.

Matsuura has struggled in 2007. He is presently last (18th) of the full-time drivers this season and he has notched just two top 10 finishes. Interestingly, his arch nemesis of 2007, Jeff Simmons, was fired coming in to this weekend after three times knocking Matsuura from a race.

With this expected announcement it becomes increasingly obvious that Mutoh will take the IndyCar Series seat from Matsuura in 2008. The possibility of both drivers running the ICS in 2008 was initially considered, though those talks seemed to have quieted as Matsuura suffered through a dismal season.

Matsuura was 12th in today's afternoon practice session.

Last edited by NAC; 21 Jul 2007 at 00:09.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 05:01 (Ref:1968831)   #9
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
ahhhh , I cant get that link to work Peno

so whats the go , why is Kosuke out ? and who is replacing him ??
The story was that Matsuura was being replaced in the middle of the race weekend. But the story has been taken off the SpeedTV site possibly because the story was not true.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 05:01 (Ref:1968832)   #10
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SpeedTV has pulled the story.

Word from the track is that they are announcing that Mutoh will drive a third car at one or more races later this season. However, we'll find out for sure in a few hours.
Old 21 Jul 2007, 20:09 (Ref:1969392)   #11
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
SpeedTV has pulled the story.

Word from the track is that they are announcing that Mutoh will drive a third car at one or more races later this season. However, we'll find out for sure in a few hours.
Hideki Mutoh will be the driver of the 55 normally next year, but beginning with the Chicagoland race. Maybe some more races will be add to his schedule.

Matsuura will finish the year in the 55. But he will lose his drive after Chicagoland.

I heard that on the IMS radio network today while watching the practices...
Old 21 Jul 2007, 23:38 (Ref:1969531)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Apparently Helio got pole followed by the 4 AGR cars. Seems since Iowa Marco really has been consistently good every where getting decent results. He lives on confidence that kid.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 11:14 (Ref:1969802)   #13
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Marco? THE story of qualifying is Danica on the front row.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:52 (Ref:1970449)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You little Ripper.

Dixon for Champ
Old 22 Jul 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1970452)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Big thanks to Tony Kanaan for that one.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1970594)   #16
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Heh, yeah, I was going to ask the question pre-race whether AGR would work together and let Dario through... what happened was not quite what they would have had in mind!

With wing (wo)men like these...

At least it wasn't Dario on his lid though.

Great championship battle - two drivers really emerging as the class of the field with this years mix of courses. Pity that because they're foreigners no one in the US will probably care...

Great to see indy cars at mid-ohio again as well. Maybe not the best place for passing but still a beautiful track for OW.

Last edited by deejay; 22 Jul 2007 at 22:35.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:01 (Ref:1970611)   #17
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC
Dixon for Champ
I wouldn't be so certain. It's unlikely Scott will be able to keep this run of results up for much longer, and Dario has managed to limit the damage to his lead. With the pace between them so close it could still come down to a DNF for either one of them that decides the championship.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 01:31 (Ref:1970696)   #18
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done again Scott Dixon

Good idea to follow Castroneves as he passed Scott Sharp late in the race. Probably would have cost him the victory if he hadn't, though it was pretty hairy looking on the outside there!!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 03:38 (Ref:1970751)   #19
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay
I wouldn't be so certain. It's unlikely Scott will be able to keep this run of results up for much longer, and Dario has managed to limit the damage to his lead. With the pace between them so close it could still come down to a DNF for either one of them that decides the championship.
Yea it may not be certain but it's called a positive mental attitude, just as I am sure that’s what’s Scott is doing right now.

Scott is a battler and will not give up so I'll just hang on to the thought of it is likely that he can keep this run going and take out the Championship.

Old 23 Jul 2007, 19:54 (Ref:1971431)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope not. Dario deserves an American OW title after all this time. Dixon has had his.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1971541)   #21
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Dixon has had his.
And he will have it again
Old 24 Jul 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1971839)   #22
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3 in a row scotty - well done

hmm, dario or dixon... i'm thinking dario
Old 24 Jul 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1971969)   #23
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great track with all the undulation change, but a bit of a processional race. Good performance from Patrick and a cheer for Manning and Hunter-Reay. I'm putting my money on Dixon for the title, but what has happened to Wheldon?
Old 24 Jul 2007, 11:20 (Ref:1972009)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England

Why you want to see that guy from neighbours win the IRL title is beyond my mind...

Dario will win it.

Dario:

Homestead - 7th
St.Pete - 5th
Motegi - 3rd
Kansas - 2nd
Indy - 1st
Milwaukee - 2nd
Texas - 4th
Iwoa - 1st
Richmond - 1st
Watkins - 3rd
Nashville - 2nd
Mid-Ohio - 2nd

Ramsy street :

Homestead - 2nd
St.Pete - 2nd
Motegi - 4th
Kansas - 4th
Indy - 2nd
Milwaukee - 4th
Texas - 12th
Iwoa - 10th
Richmond - 2nd
Watkins - 1st
Nashville - 1st
Mid-Ohio - 1st
Old 24 Jul 2007, 17:40 (Ref:1972302)   #25
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll come out and say it: everyone from Australia and New Zealand look alike!