Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Dec 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1787859)   #151
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Ohhhh the GOOD CARS

GT40s are still being made, Holman & Moody still build them

http://www.holmanmoody.com/gt40_gal.html

Oh cheers, now I have to go and buy a new keyboard.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
how to get to the naughty parts of the track, mulsanne, run up to the porsche curves and the run to indianapolis.
If thats your intention I suggest you go to youtube.com and type in Tom Pryce. If your still intrested ask Bodysnacther what he does for a living, he might just have some use for whats left of you....
Old 11 Dec 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1787895)   #152
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
stop dribbling Hollywood

Let's not be too harsh on DJ, Hollywood, one day he hopes to join in.
Quote:
(from a long long time ago) because i need to learn and hopefully one day i will be marshalling at the lemans 24 hours
Da boy's only 16/17 ish, so maybe he will learn & in 5 years he'll be with one of us.

Did you have any problems last year with "visitors" coming out the woods? BTW I'm travelling light next year (no family) so may meet up Friday, OK?
Old 11 Dec 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1787957)   #153
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood

Oh cheers, now I have to go and buy a new keyboard.....
Yes snaps of those ole beuties tend to wreck more key boards . . .

Old 11 Dec 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1787971)   #154
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
Did you have any problems last year with "visitors" coming out the woods? BTW I'm travelling light next year (no family) so may meet up Friday, OK?
There was two guys that started flagging with a French Tri-Colour about half way between us and the post ahead of us at around 1pm on Sunday, but it being my first Le Mans and having a French Vocabulary consisting of only Bonjour it was decided that we would send two of the local marshals to "guide" them to safer viewing grounds!

Friday sounds good! Why no family? All going well we'll be annoying the locals at post 19 next year!

P.S Much appoligies DJ for jumping the gun, but when you get to marshalling you'll understand why we frown at such intentions! Enjoy Le Mans and hope to see you on the banks soon.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1788028)   #155
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to be honest i dont want to go to lemans to get bladdered i can do that ona friday and saturday night lol

also i want to go to the mulsanne or run down to the porsche curves or the run down to indianapolis because that is what lemans is all about.

also i wouldnt dream of nicking bits from car's that have broken down i might be 17 but im no chav, infact i was hoping to with bunny rabbit ears get work experience helping a team out at lemans 24 hours but it would never happen lol
Old 11 Dec 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1788035)   #156
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What, Doc, you and Jennifer are absconding to 19? Was it something we said?

We had a guy come down the side of the track (in the big ditch) in the middle of the night last year and surprise us when he materialized at the lead flag station. Turned out he was a local trying to get home to Mulsanne after a long night partying. Les flics helpfully poured him into their little van and trundled away, but we jumped at shadows for the rest of the shift!

Already dreaming of poste 61, altho what I will do now that I can't bring wine home in my carry-on I don't know.

keke
Old 11 Dec 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1788078)   #157
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Aha dj wants to go to the legal bits away from the main circuit spectator areas.
I must admit in my first year as a speccy (91) I was so overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place that venturing out to the fringes of the circuit with the associated hazards of "le contramarche" ?sp system would have been a really really big adventure.

So, how to get to the legal spectating areas at Porsche curves, Arnage and Mulsanne.
1 - walk
2 - cycle
3 - drive
4 - take the bus from the main circuit gates near the museum.
pros and cons for all. 1-3 require a knowledge of where yer going or a map.
Being based near Arnage, once the race starts, if I'm not on duty, I'll walk to Arnage or drive to Porsche curves /Mulsanne. Heading back to the main circuit just is'nt worth the hassle.

Keke, don't fuss yerself about hollywood, he's just a bit of a post whore
Old 11 Dec 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1788085)   #158
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Also i want to go to the mulsanne or run down to the porsche curves or the run down to indianapolis because that is what lemans is all about.
dj perhaps you should decide when you've been there what Le Mans is all about - Whether you are there for an hour or a week there will be too much to see and do.

I have never been to the parts of the circuit you describe during the race and frankly have no real wish to do so - Some of our professional photographers find some of the approved areas for media pretty hair raising

Does that mean I and they don't get a massive amount from attending every year? Nope, of course it doesn't.

Read though what the boys said earlier - Bladdered or not, chav or not, interested in broken bits of car or not do not go where you shouldn't be
Somebody will have to go to remove you and you will be putting them at risk. If you are lucky it will be a marshal who will give you a *******ing - If you aren't lucky it will be a copper with a big angry Alsation who will bite you (The dog not the copper)

There are plenty of places where you can see, hear and feel the cars doing what they do best - rocking everyone's world. Enjoy your first time, get trained as a marshal, bide your time, learn the risks and do it properly. Anything else, whether you see it that way or not puts you in there with the idiots who ignore the warnings.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1788122)   #159
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is one not allowed to be on the track? Strange, thought it was legal
Old 11 Dec 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1788159)   #160
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mulsanne is such a strong part of the draw of Le Mans it I think is only natural to want to visit it either during the race or practice.

I am lucky enough to be able to say I have during the early 80's and watched the cars from outside one of the bars during practice, something that is I think still possible, but with much restricted viewing. I have to say that it was pretty special, but you do soon tire of it, whooosh and its gone type of action is the best you can expect.

As the others have already said, to try and gain access to the restricted areas is foolhardy. I have come across people who did try, and spent a very fustrating night trying to find a route back and missed a good part of the race without every getting close to the straight.

Have you considered a page & moy coach trip? I don't know how old you are and am not 100% sure of the law re driving age in France, but I have a feeling it could be different to the UK.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1788174)   #161
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im 17 years old and im taking my driving test in february.

however though im not sure about going on the train to be honest 16 or so hours on a train is not a very appealing thought while going in my car is a more appealing idea.

btw is the driving age in france 17 or is it 18 because if its 18 that changes everything
Old 11 Dec 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1788398)   #162
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went over twice this year - once for the weekend between testing and the race and then back on the Wednesday for the race itself. For the free weekend I flew with Air France for about £110 to Paris (from Heathrow) and trained it to LM (€50 ish I think, can't remember). Sure you can get flights cheaper though as mine was only booked two days before going.

The other thing I did when returning was fly from Stansted to Tours which was booked a few months in advance and was £50 - £60 - both better options, IMO, than training it all the way but neither too expensive and both doable.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1788476)   #163
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard enough getting to the "not naughty" parts of the track. Mulsanne Corner at 2am is a real pain to find when you're driving yourself. A trip to Arnage feels special enough and you still get the feeling that you're on the fringes. I can't imagine clambering though woodland or private property, just to hang over some armco. Seeing the cars dashing towards you as they exit Indianapolis is as good an impression of speed as you'll need. Another good spot for that is just before Tertre Rouge on the outside, near the tunnel. Cars come over the little crest exiting the Esses just before their braking point. Lovely!

On a separate topic, I went to Le Mans in 2004 and am going again in 2007. Is it worth my while digging out my old ticket paperwork to find my client number?
Old 11 Dec 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1788480)   #164
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
im 17 years old and im taking my driving test in february.

however though im not sure about going on the train to be honest 16 or so hours on a train is not a very appealing thought while going in my car is a more appealing idea.

btw is the driving age in france 17 or is it 18 because if its 18 that changes everything
You're going to need a rethink, dj, legal driving age in France is 18, as you suspected.........

Which part of the UK are you travelling from, how many pax, which days are you hoping to travel out/back? I'm sure between us on 10-10ths we can come up with a plan which would work for you!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1788498)   #165
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Lots of sense
Agreed, I've been 5 times now and have always been between Karting and Tertre Rouge. They give more than enough places to see the action. My favorite spot is on the inside of the "S" Du Terte Rouge right down to Tertre Rouge itself. DJ, I know your excited about going (as you should be), but try not to want to do everything at once, it takes time. As I said, I've been 5 times now, but theres still so much I still need to see. Take your time and take it in.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 00:43 (Ref:1788511)   #166
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
You're going to need a rethink, dj, legal driving age in France is 18, as you suspected.........

Which part of the UK are you travelling from, how many pax, which days are you hoping to travel out/back? I'm sure between us on 10-10ths we can come up with a plan which would work for you!
Being London-based, the Eurostar to Paris and connect to Paris (montparnasse) to le Mans is best for me. The Paris-le mans leg is roughly 1hr on the TGV and London-paris is roughly 3 1/2 hours. It is by the far quickest way I know--unless you fly direct. I once went from London to Le Mans and back again in the same day--including a great lunch and several meetings. Otherwise, hook up with someone else who is going.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1788685)   #167
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of points that may be of interest, sorry if they have have already been mentioned here.

Firstly some of the campsites are being 'zoned' ie split up into smaller sections. Not sure what the reasons are but suspect its to spread the sites out better.

The sites that back on to the track are having the trackside areas cordoned of to lessen the risk of debris from a crash landing on your tent while you sleep.

I have also heard the new tram system will not be up and running until the end of 07. so its still the bus into town next year!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1788712)   #168
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aha the tram info may spoil Sam's plan for us of flying and training / tramming it!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1788713)   #169
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
Being London-based, the Eurostar to Paris and connect to Paris (montparnasse) to le Mans is best for me. The Paris-le mans leg is roughly 1hr on the TGV and London-paris is roughly 3 1/2 hours. It is by the far quickest way I know--unless you fly direct. I once went from London to Le Mans and back again in the same day--including a great lunch and several meetings. Otherwise, hook up with someone else who is going.
But if you happen to live outside of London, taking the train can become more of an ordeal. A good option from other parts of the UK would be low cost flight (Easyjet/Bmibaby/others) to Paris Charles de Gaulle airport (CDG is the airport code), then take the TGV which runs direct to Le Mans from the the station at the airport (takes about an hour and a half). The tramway will then (if it's finished) take you all the way from Le Mans station to the circuit.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1788723)   #170
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I have also heard the new tram system will not be up and running until the end of 07. so its still the bus into town next year!
That doesn't surprise me, the place is a complete mess at the moment and doesn't look anywhere near complete.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1788779)   #171
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
If I was 17 again in 2007

then my plan for Le Mans next year would look something like this...

Drive from (wherever in the UK) to Brands Hatch for the DTM on Fri/Sat/Sun. Camp or doss in the car (remember I'm supposed to be 17 again).

Monday head down to Ashford international station cos I can't drive in France. Leave the car in the long term car park (tenner a day).
Take the TGV to Paris and then on to Le Mans.
Wander around the station, try to find somebody that speaks English to sus out the bus system. Or just wander out of the station and believe that it'll all be blindingly obvious.

Bus it up to the circuit or maybe first find a supermarket to buy as much beer as I'm physically able to carry (OK at 17, I'd buy the beer, everything else is secondary). Get tent up before too much beer is drunk, no wait, drink lots of beer and to remember how tent is put up.

Tuesday try and remember how to get down to town for scrutineering (a bit overrated but it's got to be done) drink beer and then get back, somehow.

Wednesday,Thursday, Saturday,Sunday. (Friday may or may not exist, opinions vary)
Then drink/sleep/get sunburnt/watch cars/get mugged/be sick (sequence may vary). Survive by eating merguez & frites. Find the bus to Arnage, plan to walk from Arnage to Mulsanne corner viewing area.
[go off plan]Get lost. Get really lost by taking shortcut across field. Get scared. Drink Beer. Get "rescued" by a drunken bunch of random blokes that are also lost & become yer best mates.[/off plan]

Return home and tell tales of the great adventure.
Make plans for 08.

Seriously tho' (as has been proven many times) the way to get the best out of your first visit to Le Mans is to go with someone that knows what they're doing or at least has been there before.
(DJ, I realise that at 17 you might find it hard to believe that others do know better, but)
Old 12 Dec 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1788786)   #172
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
shame about the tram

Cos I hate driving into town on Friday night for the drivers parade.
More than that, it's actually trying to find a parking space I hate.
That and staying absolutely stone cold sober cos I'm driving and le flics will breathalyse you at some point over the weekend.

Great if someone else drives.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1788801)   #173
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
I AM THE GREAT POST WHORE!!!!

Nah not really, I just fancied seeing a different bit next year and had an invitation to go to post 19! It came highly recomended by the marshalling colosus that is Race Gypsy Bob!

Don't worry Keke, we shall most definitley return!

Mr.Snatcher, as I have all intentions of driving to the parade next year Im sure I can shoe-horn you in to the car if you fancy getting sloshed!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1789255)   #174
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

i live in old colwyn on the north wales coast and the train service is quite good but it takes 3 and a half hours to get to birmingham due to the intolerabley slow train serviceon my side of the country lol

well i am hoping to get there on monday have a looksie round lemans itself then on tuesday go to the scrutineering.

then wednesday and thursday i will got to the qualifying/practise.

then i will be at the parade on friday

saturday the race of course i plan on waving a maussive zytek flag for the team because they are my favorites (or courage).

and i am returning on the monday as i wont have school then (summer holidays WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!).

i will be going on my own as i am the only person round were i live that likes lemans and sportscar racing.

i like the idea of flying to paris then getting the train to lemans it sounds like a rather easy and simple plausible plan and i hoep to meet up with some ten-tenths members when i get there.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1789257)   #175
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
i like the idea of flying to paris then getting the train to lemans it sounds like a rather easy and simple plausible plan and i hoep to meet up with some ten-tenths members when i get there.
Trust me it is...and shouldn't break the bank either!