Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Sep 2020, 12:40 (Ref:4000750)   #176
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the situation regarding the Silverstone race in November?
I have booked a hotel but no real updates on the website.
I have tried social media and ringing them.
Seems odd if MSVR can run meeting why Silverstone can not.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 13:56 (Ref:4000758)   #177
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSV are a business and Silverstone is a gentleman's club

Silverstone don't seem to be selling tickets for any events yet and have even removed prices from events that were previously listed.

Hopefully it won't need too much expenditure on new signs and road blocks on the bridges into the infield to make it 'covid secure' - even if they have to keep the stands and some toilet blocks closed.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 17:05 (Ref:4000788)   #178
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone bridges to infield are about 5 times the width of those at Oulton and Brands so shouldn't be an issue. Likewise the place is just massive so not like it's difficult to distance.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 20:23 (Ref:4000827)   #179
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Silverstone bridges to infield are about 5 times the width of those at Oulton and Brands so shouldn't be an issue. Likewise the place is just massive so not like it's difficult to distance.
There's a slight problem in that these are road bridges with narrow, barriered pedestrian walkways so would need to be made one way only each side and manned to enforce this. The other main crossing point is the tunnel at Copse which has the same problem in being narrow and enclosed.

Perhaps Silverstone don't see the value in going through the expense of making their venue 'Covid Secure' as there's only this GT meeting and the Walter Hayes Trophy the week before which would attract paying spectators in any number (excluding the BTCC which is classified as an Elite Sport meeting by the Government). Whereas MSV have 5 circuits and plenty of higher profile meetings, so it's cost effective for them to devise a safe working system which can be applied to all the venues. And from what I've seen at Brands Hatch this year it's been done well and attracted more visitors/spectators than I would have expected.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 06:51 (Ref:4000872)   #180
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
There's a slight problem in that these are road bridges with narrow, barriered pedestrian walkways so would need to be made one way only each side and manned to enforce this. The other main crossing point is the tunnel at Copse which has the same problem in being narrow and enclosed.

Perhaps Silverstone don't see the value in going through the expense of making their venue 'Covid Secure' as there's only this GT meeting and the Walter Hayes Trophy the week before which would attract paying spectators in any number (excluding the BTCC which is classified as an Elite Sport meeting by the Government). Whereas MSV have 5 circuits and plenty of higher profile meetings, so it's cost effective for them to devise a safe working system which can be applied to all the venues. And from what I've seen at Brands Hatch this year it's been done well and attracted more visitors/spectators than I would have expected.
That's a valid point i just wish if thats the decision they tell us so i can cancel my hotel etc.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 08:40 (Ref:4000881)   #181
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
One over the hanger straight isn't and of there's pavements each side of the road (i can't remember) just make it one way.

In regard to expense, they're going to need to do it if they want spectators next season so may as well get ahead of the curve.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Sep 2020, 07:05 (Ref:4002927)   #182
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events...hampionship-2/
That answers that.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 07:51 (Ref:4002941)   #183
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only Stuart Pringle hadn't been on the TV yesterday bemoaning the lack of income ...
Yes, I do know it is not as simple as that - but show willing chaps - you are the self appointed "Home of British Motor Racing" ! Tongue only slightly in cheek there...

However, having sampled the other tracks in the UK fairly extensively over the last couple of months - well, their charms might just endure into 2021.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 09:08 (Ref:4002971)   #184
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So is Snett at the start of October goong to be open to public or not? I have tickets but havent even looked what they are doing
Old 17 Sep 2020, 09:14 (Ref:4002972)   #185
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
So is Snett at the start of October goong to be open to public or not? I have tickets but havent even looked what they are doing
MSV events (this Snetterton) are open to attend with restrictions on total numbers attending - all covered on their website.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 09:45 (Ref:4002982)   #186
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
MSV events (this Snetterton) are open to attend with restrictions on total numbers attending - all covered on their website.
Good good, yes had been through there terms when booking tickets, just wasnt sure if new govt conditions had changed anything.

Looking forward to finally getting to a bit of racing this year
Old 17 Sep 2020, 13:55 (Ref:4003091)   #187
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Quote:
If only Stuart Pringle hadn't been on the TV yesterday bemoaning the lack of income ...
Yes, I do know it is not as simple as that - but show willing chaps - you are the self appointed "Home of British Motor Racing" ! Tongue only slightly in cheek there...

However, having sampled the other tracks in the UK fairly extensively over the last couple of months - well, their charms might just endure into 2021.
British GT now tweeting that decision not yet made (will be early October). Silverstone website updated.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 14:42 (Ref:4003106)   #188
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Good good, yes had been through there terms when booking tickets, just wasnt sure if new govt conditions had changed anything.

Looking forward to finally getting to a bit of racing this year
I've just been double checking this myself, with Donington this weekend in mind, and the only change appears to be in line with the latest rules, ie no more than 6 people in one attending group.

The circuit commentator at last week's GT Cup meeting was suggesting that face coverings would be required at all times, including outdoors, but I haven't seen that in any of the updated information from MSV.
Old 17 Sep 2020, 14:44 (Ref:4003107)   #189
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn’t get you hopes up too much, especially with the latest government offering. Just have to wait for an announcement. I wouldn’t be surprised if spectators are still not allowed
Old 17 Sep 2020, 15:05 (Ref:4003120)   #190
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latest Motorsport UK guidelines for marshals and teams etc. State that face coverings are required at all times in all areas for all participants it may include spectators but doesn't specifically mention them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 17 Sep 2020, 15:06 (Ref:4003121)   #191
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s good to know, at least they should be kept safe. We’ll see what remaining UK events go ahead and which ones get canned
Old 17 Sep 2020, 15:10 (Ref:4003125)   #192
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
MSV say no change other than the obvious requirement not to attend in or form groups of more than six:

https://news.msv.com/new-rule-of-six...ce-events.aspx
Old 17 Sep 2020, 15:38 (Ref:4003147)   #193
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Quote:
British GT now tweeting that decision not yet made (will be early October). Silverstone website updated.
Yep I was well pleased when earlier today they said they have not made up their mind and it was an error on the website, this after I cancelled my hotel booking.
I mean who is in charge up there? It's almost a joke.
Old 18 Sep 2020, 00:02 (Ref:4003316)   #194
S griffin
Veteran

I hate it when one thing is said, then you find out what was said is not the case. No wonder people are confused. Just stick to one decision
Old 29 Sep 2020, 16:04 (Ref:4007410)   #195
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
British GT has announced Silverstone on Nov 7/8 will be "behind closed doors". Oulton Park it is for the rallying then (assuming nothing changes, etc, etc)
Old 29 Sep 2020, 23:22 (Ref:4007482)   #196
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger - I'd hoped that Silerstone might have been able to do something for this one. At least I'm off work for Snetterton this weekend.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:15 (Ref:4007673)   #197
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Four months after MSV were able to allow spectators, Silverstone remains closed. Pathetic, tbh.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 20:41 (Ref:4007694)   #198
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Four months after MSV were able to allow spectators, Silverstone remains closed. Pathetic, tbh.
Even the likes of Mallory Park and Castle Coombe have found a way to allow spectators, even if it is in limited numbers. Silverstone must have their reasons, but for the "Home of British Motor Racing" to be one of the few places you can't see any motor racing is a bit ridiculous.

Still, at least you can join thousands of others in close contact while running round the circuit the following Sunday: https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events...alf-marathons/
Old 1 Oct 2020, 07:19 (Ref:4007743)   #199
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That surely can't be going ahead??
Old 1 Oct 2020, 10:55 (Ref:4007768)   #200
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Is it my sense of humour or is this tweet by Silverstone today rather ironic timing ?

"Silverstone’s Wing and @BRDCSilverstone lit in red last night, supporting #LightItInRed campaign to raise awareness for the plight of the live events industry."

Link in tweet didn't work - make of that what you will. I'm off to Snetterton on Sunday to see a live event.