Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 17 Aug 2020, 11:46 (Ref:3995942)   #226
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Spire Racing so they expand to a 2 charter 2 car program and move in to Leavine's old shop in Concord. Rotating drivers this season so I'd guess we'll see 2 cars doing that, 2 charters wasted it appears.

Spire also bought Furniture Row's charter when they shut down as well after 2018.
I saw Jr interviewing the Spire chap; sorry my memory is so bad I don't remember his name. He is hoping to get a full time driver in one, possibly both cars. Talked about Chastain and Haley, though was very open about trying to get Chastain into Hendrick or Ganassi (think he is his agent or something like that).

Also spoke of trying to flip the Furniture Row charter for a quick profit but nobody was interested, and that he ended up running a Cup team by default.

Said next year was going to be learning and screwing up with hope they'll know what they're about for the new cars in 2022.

Personally I think Ross Chastain is deserving of a Cup ride, so hope it'll happen.
Old 23 Aug 2020, 20:29 (Ref:3997430)   #227
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh would you look at that, Logano dumped someone. Guess he felt rusty and had to brush up on his "skills"
Old 26 Aug 2020, 06:41 (Ref:3997989)   #228
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Oh would you look at that, Logano dumped someone. Guess he felt rusty and had to brush up on his "skills"
Well I would hope that Mr Logano gets his just desserts. Has he forgotten when Mr Kenseth came calling?
Old 1 Sep 2020, 20:25 (Ref:3999518)   #229
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like desserts.

Heard a song by Tanya Tucker on Pandora awhile ago today. Made me think of Geoff Bodine. It wasn't it Geoffrey by then

Old 8 Sep 2020, 18:52 (Ref:4000991)   #230
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Fontana aka Auto Club Speedway will be transformed into a half-mile short track beginning next season. More here.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:04 (Ref:4001011)   #231
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What???

Sad to lose one of the best IndyCar racetracks. Too bad they struggle to get any crowds, even for Nascar Cup races.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:10 (Ref:4001015)   #232
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That does seem to be a bit of a bizarre move, but I liked Fontana when it was Michigan Speedway. Need more short tracks, amongst all speedway series.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 06:54 (Ref:4001061)   #233
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Does strike me as odd - dig up and relay a race track smaller also that a significant $$$ expenditure is on the cards with the current economic situation.

Maybe the cost won't be that huge, depends I suppose if they can get the new back straightaway in without having to demolish/ rebuild any infield infrastructure - maybe just lay a straightaway and reconfiguration of the turns?

Having said that, maybe the owners and/ or NASCAR have taken note that lots of racing fans like short tracks and there aren't many of them in the schedule these days - way too few in my books. I like the variety, so I'll be happy to see this come to fruition
Old 9 Sep 2020, 18:19 (Ref:4001206)   #234
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Jimmie J off to race for Chip in Indycar. Be interesting to see how he adapts. He's certainly been much more competitive this year than the past few in NASCAR. Might have to watch some Indy next year to see how he goes...
Old 9 Sep 2020, 19:33 (Ref:4001229)   #235
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Jimmie J off to race for Chip in Indycar. Be interesting to see how he adapts. He's certainly been much more competitive this year than the past few in NASCAR. Might have to watch some Indy next year to see how he goes...
Well good for him. I don't think he'll see much success, but he's Superman, right?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 20:43 (Ref:4001256)   #236
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It appears he'll need to bring the entire budget for the project for road and street courses to run. Can't imagine he'd have too much trouble for Indy and maybe Long Beach but the full road course season might be a reach at this point.
Old 10 Sep 2020, 17:40 (Ref:4001492)   #237
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Mr Noose Cry Baby is not at RPM next year. Strikes me a little odd that RPM has put the non-returning statement out before Wallace has announced his new ride. Maybe he doesn't have ink on paper yet.

Still hearing RPM switching to Toyota rumours too, I wonder if they're trying to become allied to Gibbs which would likely lead to someone in the Gibbs stable filling the seat. Not long to wait to find out...
Old 10 Sep 2020, 23:18 (Ref:4001569)   #238
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Mike Wallace has been suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for something he did on social media. He knows what he did; I’m sure the exact details will become clear soon.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 10:24 (Ref:4001636)   #239
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Fontana aka Auto Club Speedway will be transformed into a half-mile short track beginning next season. More here.
Well, it's 2020 after all - nothing really surprises me anymore.

It'll be weird, but at the same time I don't mind the change. Question is... when they say they will convert it into a "high banked" half-mile track, what sort of banking are we talking about? 30-35+ degrees, to make it close to the old, unmolested Bristol? That would be glorious.
Old 11 Sep 2020, 17:44 (Ref:4001714)   #240
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

It'll be weird, but at the same time I don't mind the change. Question is... when they say they will convert it into a "high banked" half-mile track, what sort of banking are we talking about? 30-35+ degrees, to make it close to the old, unmolested Bristol? That would be glorious.
Or like Salem? I was always a fan from back when Speedvision showed us things...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzJt3m0-qek

But am curious about the same thing. Right now, it's looking very Martinsville but renderings are never completely accurate.
Old 19 Sep 2020, 20:38 (Ref:4004337)   #241
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I guess the 2 mile track was losing money. The big NASCAR track expansion boom of the late 2000's is long over now.

...and stages and playoffs still need to go away.
Old 20 Sep 2020, 09:19 (Ref:4004772)   #242
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just hope the change to the length of the circuit is worth it. I feel NASCAR is still a decent sport and has so much potential, but needs to make sure it is managed carefully

Sadly the series lost a great lot of credibility by first making the playoff ridiculous and getting rid of one long race, by putting in those silly stages
Old 20 Sep 2020, 13:28 (Ref:4005060)   #243
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Having now watched last night's race at Bristol, I'm glad I let the DVR record it rather than staying up through the night to watch it live.
Old 20 Sep 2020, 15:04 (Ref:4005092)   #244
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fast forward come in handy did it? Used to be one of my don't miss events but haven't watched since they screwed up the track
Old 22 Sep 2020, 18:08 (Ref:4005668)   #245
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Never watched it, gonna stick to the "happy hour" highlights programme.

Seats seem to be filling for next year now. Chastain at the #42, which I'm glad to see - I like his style. Watched him battle Kyle Busch very closely in xfinity recently. Good clean stuff.

Cry baby driving for Michael Jordan who's bought up some or all of the #13 with Hamlin. Guess this'll become a Toyota entry with support to one level or another from Gibbs. Guess we'll see how that goes, I just don't think Bubba is up to the standards to compete at the front in Cup. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but his Truck and xfinity time wasn't too much to shout about. Moved up the series before having enough experience maybe?

Not sure where Ty Dillon will fit in unless RCR are about to run a third car?
Old 29 Sep 2020, 22:21 (Ref:4007473)   #246
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well Chicagoland, and Route 66 Raceway by extension, appears to be done as a track. No races this season and no race for them in 2021 with Cup, GN, Trucks or ARCA either. Route 66 has all drag racing operations shut down for this season and for 2021 as well, doesn’t sound good.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 13:38 (Ref:4007564)   #247
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Kentucky will be joining the Nascar scrap heap.

COTA will be hosting the Cup boys IF they don't get sold or close for 2021.

What the hell is Nascar thinking? They took Kentucky's date to Atlanta, AMS in July should be GREAT right?

https://racer.com/2020/09/30/two-atl...races-in-2021/

Last edited by broadrun96; 30 Sep 2020 at 14:07.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 15:24 (Ref:4007602)   #248
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Kentucky will be joining the Nascar scrap heap.

COTA will be hosting the Cup boys IF they don't get sold or close for 2021.

What the hell is Nascar thinking? They took Kentucky's date to Atlanta, AMS in July should be GREAT right?

https://racer.com/2020/09/30/two-atl...races-in-2021/
Nice to see them bring two races back to the true origins of stockcar racing, but yeah, push it to September, early October. Also, a second race added for Darlington. Taking away from both should not have been done in the first place. Now for the race back at The Rock...

Also of note. They are taking an Olympic Break for the first time ever, there's a double header at Pocono, a race at the Nashville Superspeedway, which I thought was closed, Road America is on July 4th, the summer daytona race is in August and the All Star race is at Texas.

They're throwing the kitchen sink at this!

And took me a minute to find an article with the actual damn schedule!!
https://us.motorsport.com/nascar-cup...edule/4884312/
Old 30 Sep 2020, 15:33 (Ref:4007613)   #249
TheMightyM
Veteran

Also two races at Atlanta but only one race at Michigan. Didn't see that coming.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 16:42 (Ref:4007638)   #250
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
And the Brickyard is now the road course not the oval. That will be a combined NASCAR/Indy full road course event, think they were thinking Indy with Nationwide in August but will be all 3 on the road course. Racer doesn’t have the schedule but confirmed that with IMS

And the kitchen sink is right? Bring back SMOKE for this.

“Other new races added include a spring race at Bristol which will be converted to a dirt track. The last Cup race held on dirt was on Sept. 30, 1970, at the half-mile State Fairgrounds Speedway in Raleigh, N.C.”

Yup, Nashville closed in 2011. It’s being reopened for 2021, it is owned by Dover Motorsports so a Dover date was been dropped for the Nashville race to come back. Bring back the Les Paul’s and watch Kyle destroy a hand painted 10k guitar like an idiot again

Last edited by broadrun96; 30 Sep 2020 at 16:49.