Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 8 Nov 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2578249)   #1
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real Time Racing

Anyone hear of this?? Basically simbin & iOpener Enabled have teamed together to try & make a game where you can race a real race at the same time it is on in real life e.g. Sebring 12 Hours. Beta tests are currently in progress & so far it sounds pretty good!

RTR's 1st attempt @ this Real Time Racing programme was @ the FIA GT Zolder round. The Marc VDS drivers Renaud Kuppens & Bas Leinders say they like it! They've said the Ford GT is very realistic & it can influence their driving in some way racing against other people in the world!

So far, I'm waiting on a beta key but please God don't let them send me 1 on the day MW2 comes out or next month while i'm still playing it!
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2578319)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been curious about this.. Surely if you are gonna have real time stuff, the physics need to equal real life, the track needs to be exactly the same as the real thing, the cars need to drive exactly the same. Very interestng stuff though. Will there be a back catalogue of races for download or something too?
Old 8 Nov 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2578378)   #3
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure, i'm waiting for my beta key too but it does sound cracking. you are right about realism tho, it needs to be iracing +10 on that count.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2579808)   #4
YZ250
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
YZ250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got the Beta today, may try it out tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2580619)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I like the idea, but am massivly sceptical. All the issues raised above, plus the classic 'PING' problem. When 2 people play from computer to computer, you can still get ping issues and teh cars go all floaty and rubbish. Well, if real info is coming from real cars, real time, theres alot of protocals that need to bbe negotiated before it gets anywhere near an optic cable and your home. My worry is that the 'real' opposition cars will behave in a very unrealistic way. Then of course you add to the mix that the tracks and car physics you have are never going to be 100% accurate. At the moment it seems like a gimmick aimed at the console market.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 23:32 (Ref:2581112)   #6
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must admit I'm a little skeptical too, about realtime 'live' anyway. Being a motorsport enthusiast, I'd rather be watching the racing itself!

I think more realistic would be to record the real races and allow them to be downloaded and raced against retrospectively. The only problem with that is how do you handle collisions? Have 'ghost' races?

Also I'm pretty sure with most people there would be a lot more time to practice a particular circuit before-hand which means some simmers (especially the aliens) could potentially be a lot faster. The real drivers may be pros, but an alien with a setup perfected over hundreds and hundreds of laps?

What about rain?

I could go on all day, but I'll stop now!

Nice idea, which tbh the geek in me thinks is really cool and I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to give it a go if I had the opportunity. However in reality it would just be glorified AI. Give me real opponents any day!
Old 13 Nov 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2581431)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
Give me real opponents any day!
Agreed! Being able to race people online from completely different parts of the world, being able to communicate with them etc is actualy, if you think about it, much much much more mind boggling than racing within which is pretty much the WRC's 'virtual spectator'. We take online gaming for granted too much!
Old 14 Nov 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2581973)   #8
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
10 Hours of Zolder is being raced by thousands of beta testers, I didn't get a key though ! If any1 here got a key, share us your thoughts!
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2585013)   #9
Bram
Rookie

Netherlands
Bram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Danny,

Have you checked your spambox/junkmail as some of the keys end up there without people knowing it
Old 25 Nov 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2589052)   #10
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Hi Danny,

Have you checked your spambox/junkmail as some of the keys end up there without people knowing it
Definately sure. The only e-mails I got from iOpener was for twitter responses!
Old 8 Dec 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2596093)   #11
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
10 Hours of Zolder is being raced by thousands of beta testers, I didn't get a key though ! If any1 here got a key, share us your thoughts!
I received my beta key a few weeks ago. Attempted to participate in the Zolder event but ended up waiting a few hours for the required data to download (they really need more file mirrors).

The download runs through the client (bad idea), and it crashed twice. After that I called it a night.

Obviously it's in beta for a reason, but I sure hope they get these small design/access issues sorted before any major release.
Old 14 Dec 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2599510)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just got my key and downloading it now. damn i'm excited by PC racing again
Old 15 Dec 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2600067)   #13
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame that this isn't an exciting game. Interesting concept but poorly executed IMO.