Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 6 Sep 2007, 10:04 (Ref:2005023)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
2008 ALMS rumours

I tried to search for a simelar thread but i couldnt find one . If there is one , please merge it .

Over at the bear they are reporting that .....

(1) Mazda to offer supported Lola AER-Mazda package for 2008

(2) Acura to run two-car team(s?) in 2008 ALMS

Its unclear what 2 car teams means .... does that mean AGR-Highcroft and Fernandez will have 2 cars each or does it mean 2 teams with 2 cars each ?

I think all 3 of the Acura teams have done brilliantly with such a new package and would find it hard to pick out 2 of them if thats the case .

I expect that the Mazda will be a better package for next year too .....
Old 6 Sep 2007, 10:43 (Ref:2005045)   #2
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would think one or more teams will have 2 cars/team, not reducing the number of teams. The Acura deal with the teams was not a 1-year-only deal...
Old 6 Sep 2007, 10:56 (Ref:2005051)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
So it sounds like the possibility of 6 Acura'S in the ALMS ..... and from another Acura press release saaying they intend to stick with Courage , I would imagine it will be 6 modified Courage LC75's ?
Old 6 Sep 2007, 11:41 (Ref:2005092)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Six Acuras, four or more Porsches, the Lola AER Mazda, plus ?? damn, P2 is going to be very exctiing.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:06 (Ref:2005116)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

2x Dyson Spyder's
2x Penske Spyder's
2x AGR Acura's
2x Highcroft Acura's
2x Fernandez Acura's
1x B-K Motorsports Lola
1x Van der Steur Radical
2x CET Solaroli .......... Spyder's
1x Velocity Creation
1x Spyder for Kelleners ..... cant remember who the team was though ?

Did I forget anybody ?

Thats a possible 16 in LMP2 !!! WOW Thats more than 1/2 of the 2007 field

Last edited by The Badger; 6 Sep 2007 at 12:10.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2005120)   #6
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
take those CET Solarolis out...they will never happen.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2005125)   #7
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spyker is trying to join in for a full ALMS season.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:12 (Ref:2005128)   #8
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
hmm, as said by Badger...
Old 6 Sep 2007, 12:17 (Ref:2005132)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The Kelleners team is CONZUS-Motorsport.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 13:34 (Ref:2005186)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy_NL
Spyker is trying to join in for a full ALMS season.
How?

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely LOVE to see those cars full season - I quite loved them at Le Mans - but colour me skeptical...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Sep 2007, 13:44 (Ref:2005191)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy_NL
hmm, as said by Badger...
Wasnt me who said that mate !!! but , i really hope they do cuz the car looks great and sounds the part too .....
Old 6 Sep 2007, 14:19 (Ref:2005232)   #12
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Sorry Ger, got all confused with all those Spyker and Spyder words. Saw too late your post was about the P2 club, but rectifying a recification makes it all too complica'ed...

Anyway, the announcement of Spyker trying to get into ALMS can be found here >> http://www.spykercars.com/download/i...lts_2007.1.pdf
Quote:
For 2008 Spyker Squadron is investigating a possible full entry into the ALMS championship provided adequate sposoring is secured.
Probably the only positive item on their list

Last edited by Paddy_NL; 6 Sep 2007 at 14:24.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 15:53 (Ref:2005334)   #13
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
2x Dyson Spyder's
2x Penske Spyder's
2x AGR Acura's
2x Highcroft Acura's
2x Fernandez Acura's
1x B-K Motorsports Lola
1x Van der Steur Radical
2x CET Solaroli .......... Spyder's
1x Velocity Creation
1x Spyder for Kelleners ..... cant remember who the team was though ?

Did I forget anybody ?

Thats a possible 16 in LMP2 !!! WOW Thats more than 1/2 of the 2007 field
Whoa, let's not get carried away here. Nothing definitive on the Acura's, and I certainly wouldn't project 2 each. Maybe four total, but it would surprise me to see more. Drop CET, and I would drop Velocity. It wouldn't surprise me to see an addition Lola Mazda in the mix, but that is highly speculative at this point, and my suggestion isn't with B-K, but someone new and currently unknown.

I would guess that you could drop PTG Panoz for 08', though I don't know if PTG would field something else, or go away for now.

In addition, the participation of Corvette Racing is contingent upon having credible competition. At this point, that is speculative at best. I think we'll lose them next year.

For the GT2 field, I expect the addition of a Porsche to the field, as well as three to six Vipers. Hopefully someone finds a way to make the Vipers quicker over the offseason, as they only appear to be moving pylons so far.

Gigliotti continues to make noise about a GT2 Vette project, and some have gone so far to say that a GT2 Vette has tested in North America. Again, until such a project is fully funded, be cautious on assuming they will come to fruition.

Then there is the Doran/Kuttner Ford GT project. The car has been homologated, and will be/has been testing soon. Full season/part season/reality... who knows...

I'll also go out on a limb and predict a new LMP1 team, two cars. Again, nothing behind this, but I have a funny feeling it could happen.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 6 Sep 2007 at 15:55.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 16:52 (Ref:2005388)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is the VDS Radical a leased or purchased car? Could see them trying for a factory supported Mazda package if the Radical is just a lease.
How many teams could make the move up to the ALMS if a GT2 Vette is reality, especially with factory/P&M involvement as Porsche does. And how many could follow the Viper project? Could make for an interesting race in each of the "lower" classes of each division next year.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:00 (Ref:2005397)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
VDS is a purchased car, as far as I know.

P&M is currently denying involvement in any GT2 project directly, though it is feasible they've offered some consulation services.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:02 (Ref:2005403)   #16
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
How many teams could make the move up to the ALMS if a GT2 Vette is reality, especially with factory/P&M involvement as Porsche does.
The Ferraris, especially Risi Copmetitionize, get a lot of help and support from the factory also.

Back on topic, I think that Chip Ganassi Racing will make the jump from Grand-Am to the ALMS in 2008. If they do I think that it will be a LMP2, so they can compete with their IRL rivals Penske and Andretti Green.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:20 (Ref:2005415)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
... if Toyota decides they want in. (Which I doubt.)

Chip won't do it just for fun.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:39 (Ref:2005436)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
... if Toyota decides they want in. (Which I doubt.)

Chip won't do it just for fun.
TRD is working on new sports car endro motor.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:40 (Ref:2005439)   #19
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who wants to wager that, if a "new" two car LMP1 effort shows up it will be:

2x Intersport Lola-Judd (Verry Berry Exotics/Muscle Milk) 37Clint Field/?/Jon Field/Richard Berry 06(36?)Klaus Graf/Greg Picket/Jon Field/Richard Berry

Chris
Old 6 Sep 2007, 17:50 (Ref:2005451)   #20
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But havent they confirmed an AER powerplant for PLM? Would make more sense with a Lola-AER but with 2 cars seems to be a stretch for that small a team.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 18:01 (Ref:2005467)   #21
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am hoping that if there is a new or current LMP1 team with two cars, that they will have coupes, whether it be the Peugeots(less likely), or the new Lola Coupes(more likely).
Old 6 Sep 2007, 18:13 (Ref:2005483)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz
Who wants to wager that, if a "new" two car LMP1 effort shows up it will be:

2x Intersport Lola-Judd (Verry Berry Exotics/Muscle Milk) 37Clint Field/?/Jon Field/Richard Berry 06(36?)Klaus Graf/Greg Picket/Jon Field/Richard Berry

Chris
What wouldnt surprise me at PLM is the Charouz Lola with at least one of the fields in it !!!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 18:59 (Ref:2005531)   #23
Nedley Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Tampa, FL
Nedley Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Back on topic, I think that Chip Ganassi Racing will make the jump from Grand-Am to the ALMS in 2008. If they do I think that it will be a LMP2, so they can compete with their IRL rivals Penske and Andretti Green.
If someone would pay for it, Chip would start a lawnmower racing team. 'Til the checks start rolling in, I wouldn't expect to see him in ALMS, regardless of Toyota's plans. Chip may be on the TRD dole in GA, but he's not exactly distancing himself from Honda or Chrysler either.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 19:09 (Ref:2005546)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
TRD is working on new sports car endro motor.
Given that the speculation above was that they'd go P2, I doubt this enduro motor you know of (didn't you hint earlier it was in the 5L range?) would work.

Unless I'm misremembering your earlier info...

-Bill James
Old 6 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2005553)   #25
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What's the source of the Toyota rumour? Isn't this Toyota (badged as Lexus?) enduro engine for GrandAm?
Closed Thread