Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:08 (Ref:1320997)   #1
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Superstars

Who watched it? Who enjoyed it?
For my two bobs' worth it was mostly rubbish with just a couple of bright spots, the Lary Perkins interview one of them.
Leigh Diffey proved once more that he is a waste of space and the panellists seemed determined to show that, when they retire, they can get jobs as stand-up comics.
Is Channel Seriously trying to make this a motorised version of The Footy Show?
As for the fans' questions, I'm sure there must have been questions asked that would have provided some serious meat for our panelists to have gotten their teeth into.
C10, here's one viewer who won't watch Superstars again.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:18 (Ref:1320999)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My favourite part was how the Avesco PR machine leaned
on Channel 10 with the segment dedicated to interviewing fans who supported the china move. Interestingly they didnt show 1 fan who didnt agree with the china move. Makes me wonder how many people they had to go through before they could get the 10 people required for the "pro China" segment.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:22 (Ref:1321000)   #3
White Knight

Maybe they couldn't find anyone against the China race?

Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1321003)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Maybe they couldn't find anyone against the China race?
Do you believe that though White Knight?

This also was the partnership in 2001 at Gold Coast Indy (before Cart went downhill) that could only find fans who turned up for v8 support events. This coincided with Avesco's push for better facilities and position on the bill.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 03:07 (Ref:1321013)   #5
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It was adiffernet version of the show but I suppose the panel is still on the new version. I did like Diffey hosting instead of B.Woods, but the drivers were to busy play up and playing practical jokes on each instead of talking motorsport. As I said the jury is still out.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 6 Jun 2005, 03:19 (Ref:1321015)   #6
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
TSR, this particular jurist has already made a decision and it is that V8 Superstars will not get another start in my house.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1321019)   #7
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it for what it is. It's not meant to be a "sunday" program on channel 9, but as light entertainment. Take it or leave it.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 04:49 (Ref:1321041)   #8
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Decisions backed by AVESCO are portrayed as the publics best mate on this show at times. They have the choice to edit those who are against their opinions and not air their opinions, whilst they air the (minority?) of the public who agree with their opinion. This might then sway the others who are against the move as there are other die-hard (are they?) V8 fans that the move aint so bad.

Call it positive PR.

Brad Jones is one who i liked to listen too, as there was too much garbage between, Ambrose, Murphy, Ingall and Skaife for my liking. They never hit any argument on the head except personal digs.

As far as China goes, in my honest opinion. Whats the point of it? To bring an international audience to watch our series. You dont see any AFL home and away games played over in NZ or America to boost international interest...no.

Australian V8 Supercars is called "Australian" for a reason, not to send us away to China. NZ fair enough because they play a big role in Aussie V8's supplying with drivers and tracks, and it is close to travel and convienient.

Back on topic. V8 superstars. All they are going to care about are the ratings. And those demographics who watch it are not going to come from the die-hard V8 fans (of course there will be those who watch it from this category), they are going to come from the not-so die-hard fans who are interested in watching driver bickering, or are one of those "we love Ambrose, we hate Skaife" who cares about the racing etc.

Im not bagging those who view it, thats for sure, im just making my point that less and less die-hard V8 fans are going to watch this show in my opinion, and the show will bring a different audience to watch its bickering.

I stopped watching it a while ago because it became junk.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1321044)   #9
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it true that Skaifey's "The Russell Ingall wing at CAMS" is now rivaling "Why did the chicken cross the road" as the world's most exhausted joke?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 05:52 (Ref:1321049)   #10
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
Is it true that Skaifey's "The Russell Ingall wing at CAMS" is now rivaling "Why did the chicken cross the road" as the world's most exhausted joke?
That happens when your not funny, they tend to repeat their lines well after their used by date. A little bit like his driving of late
Old 6 Jun 2005, 05:52 (Ref:1321051)   #11
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i didnt watch the show, but i for one am sick of people saying "NO INTERNATIONAL RACES except for new zealand" because as far as i am concerned, NZ is an international race, either be FOR or AGAINST international races fullstop!!! Its actually cheaper for teams to go to China, than to NZ... and the time needed for transport is significantly less.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 06:00 (Ref:1321055)   #12
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by resisturban
Well i didnt watch the show, but i for one am sick of people saying "NO INTERNATIONAL RACES except for new zealand" because as far as i am concerned, NZ is an international race, either be FOR or AGAINST international races fullstop!!! Its actually cheaper for teams to go to China, than to NZ... and the time needed for transport is significantly less.
Look New Zealand, fine. China (that makes 2 international scenes) where next? England....America....

Im fine with one international country (whether it be China on its own or NZ on its own) but as far as progressing into other international arena's I am not fine with it.

Thats the reason for the dispute, i am merely not having a whinge because w are going overseas, i am concerned with the ever increasing events overseas and when will it stop. It goes without saying "once you start you cant stop"
Old 6 Jun 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1321057)   #13
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by resisturban
"NO INTERNATIONAL RACES except for new zealand" because as far as i am concerned, NZ is an international race, either be FOR or AGAINST international races fullstop!!! Its actually cheaper for teams to go to China, than to NZ... and the time needed for transport is significantly less.
Most people just consider NZ as another Aussie state.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1321059)   #14
Formula 5000
Rookie

Formula 5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Sunday's version of V8 Superstars was one of the worst ever. The opportunity was there, given the incidents of the last races, to allow some serious questions and opinions. It was drivel with far to much clowning around. With Skaife, Ingall, Jones and Murphy doing most of the talking and unfortunately often all at the one time. This made it difficult to always understand them.
Giggling and interupting do not high class answers make. Sure there has to be some lighthearted entertainment to cater for the wide audience but has to be some decent in depth answers.
The two young ladies questions from Eastern Creek were well scripted. No one can generally ask such a long question without making a stumble unless rehearsed.
Larry Perkins comment on "exploring his options" clearly means he is out next year.

We need Channel 10 to tighten up the show; it has great potential. It needs 25-35% tough questions that we would like answered. Give away the two "giggling Gerts" at the bar.
Without improvements the viewing audience is going to slip away.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1321060)   #15
White Knight

Quote:
You dont see any AFL home and away games played over in NZ or America to boost international interest...
There have been games between AFL teams in London and State Of Origin Rugby League in Los Angelos.

Old 6 Jun 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1321062)   #16
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
There have been games between AFL teams in London and State Of Origin Rugby League in Los Angelos.
Yes and not to mention other countries. but they are not part of the home and away series and its not a fully fledged game where the best of the two sides turn up.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1321083)   #17
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this might go against my own theory, but the Wests Tigers (NRL) played a home match in wellington...
Old 6 Jun 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1321095)   #18
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worst ever. If Skaife and Ingall don't go home and feel ashamed after watching the tape then there is no hope. Giggling like a couple of school kids up the back. About time these to "regulars" moved on IMHO. Panel of 8 is too big anyway, reduce it to 6 and make it an hour with semi serious discussion interspersed with a laugh or two.

A few ideas:
Maybe Mr Bond could have come on with a whiteboard and explained to everyone (i.e. the public) the thoughts behind some recent incidents in a serious manner. Agree or disagree it is the hot topic in "fanland" at the moment and the opportunity was passed.

Mr Little or someone of his ilk could have spoken of the challenges facing the teams when they hit the track on Friday. Give the fans some idea of the setup process for a brand new track.

But no, clearly the beer swilling meatheads will prefer language puns, sexual innuendo and 5 year old jokes....

White Night - what year was it the SOO was in LA? When was the second trip?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1321114)   #19
scr
Rookie

Australia
Australia
scr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, Mark Skaife and Russell Ingall made complete fools of themselves while the four guest panel members hardly got to say a word.
What i want to know is why do we have to hear the V8 drivers opinion on international motorsport series. The show is all about V8s and our national series, not about what is going on overseas. There could have been a lot better topics used for those segments and that was not at all good.
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1321118)   #20
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
probably only the 2nd ever episode Ive watched.

its never really interested me much before but I watched this weekend because I had nothing better to do.

I got a good giggle out of it and my other half (who doesnt follow it that much) really enjoyed it.

but was it good ?

Im not sure , for getting casual fans involved a bit more perhaps it was but for die hard fans who want answers to the tough questions you just are not going to get any.

ive watched 2 episodes of it now maybe next year I will make it 3
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:28 (Ref:1321121)   #21
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They talk about the other forms of motor racing because V8 fans are probably going to be interested in it...

OH hang on...What channel televises the other events...

thant's why they talk about the other series.

And to be fair...They got the "member" last year line Was funny !

DKGandBH
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1321135)   #22
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i also thought it was interesting that evan Ingal Believed that Ambrose should of got a further 25 points taken off of him
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1321138)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
smokinJ. that would have nothing to do with the fact that ingall is only about 30 points behind ambrose in the championship would it?
Old 6 Jun 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1321139)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it all needs abit of a cleanout. I'm not a Bill Woods supporter at the best of times, but did Leigh Diffey really need to yell 'what did the audience think of this' and 'round of applause for him' every 10 seconds.

I think the panel needs abit of a cleanout. Lose Skaife and Jones, and replace them with Paul Gover and Tony Cochrane full time. The with the 4 'special guests', they should take abit more care with who they choose, but then again abit of controversy and bagging would be bad publicity wouldn't it........remember when Mike Raymond would regularly be into the rule makers and some of the entrants......

And why oh why was Tim Smith there
Old 6 Jun 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1321156)   #25
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
Rather than a bit of a clean out, Racer69, perhaps 10 could just drop the whole show. As a concept a few years ago it was good. Now it has just deteriorated beyond both belief and redemption.