Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jun 2007, 12:03 (Ref:1944182)   #1
wkk
Rookie

Germany
Cologne
wkk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwkk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Club Arnage Guide - What did you miss?

Hi there,

reading some forum threads I guess that quite a few of you downloaded and used this years Club Arnage guide. I'm already making plans for the 2008 edition and before your memory fades I really would like to know:

1. What did you miss in this years guide?
2. Which information was inaccurate or completely wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance already for any answers, you can help to make next years edition better

Cheers

Werner
Old 22 Jun 2007, 14:48 (Ref:1944316)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Werner,

I'll have to go through it again to refresh, but the copies I printed were scoured by our group, and very well received. Thanks to you and your crew for the effort!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Jun 2007, 14:51 (Ref:1944319)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Have you considered offering printed copies for sale? I was unable to print the guide as I do not have a working printer at home and there was no way I was gonna get away with printing that many pages at work!

One thing that would be handy is a guide to where clean toilets could be found - many of them are pretty grim but there is the odd 'secret' such as inside McDonalds, l'Arlequin in Arnage, etc... it'd be nice to know!!
Old 22 Jun 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1944328)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps formatting it so that each section is a little more separate? It is all good, but perhaps you don't want to take the comprehensive camping guide with you if not camping. This will allow the relevant parts to be printed.

That is only a little thing.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1944661)   #5
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
One thing that would be handy is a guide to where clean toilets could be found - many of them are pretty grim but there is the odd 'secret' such as inside McDonalds, l'Arlequin in Arnage, etc... it'd be nice to know!!
If you tell too many people where to find a clean restroom, it may not stay clean for long!!!!
Old 23 Jun 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1944767)   #6
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Have you considered offering printed copies for sale? I was unable to print the guide as I do not have a working printer at home and there was no way I was gonna get away with printing that many pages at work!

The guide is unofficial and in order for it to be sold then the ACO would need to be involved (and paid).

It may be possible to offer a 'printing service' for a small fee.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1944917)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Um its a guide and unless you put 24/Le Mans in the title you don't need to pay anyone. The Autosport guide is unofficial too... ACO need not be involved.
Old 23 Jun 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1944930)   #8
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Um its a guide and unless you put 24/Le Mans in the title you don't need to pay anyone. The Autosport guide is unofficial too... ACO need not be involved.
It's a guide to Le Mans therefore it has Le Mans in the title! Although I doubt that on its own is enough to cause a problem.

We prefer the cautious approach to the ACO, we know from history that they are very protective of their "branding" and dislike people making money off the back of their branding without their approval and having paid a commmercial licence fee.

The guide uses plenty of pictures that are taken at the circuit that are either taken by pro's who have consent for media use only and not under a commercial licence or by punters who have no rights to use their pictures for commercial use.

Currently it is published with the nod of the ACO as it is a free publication with a request for a charitable download. Given the ownership of Club Arnage and the current make up of the forum their are no plans for it to become a pay publication - although as said their may be some merit in a "printing" service but that would require some thought.

I think there is a good suggestion for a "lite" version of the guide that covers the travel guide type info that can be published earlier with the entry information forming part of a separate guide issued nearer the time. I don't know Werner's views on this but personally that sounds quite good to me.

Keep up the suggestions please!
Old 10 Jul 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1960019)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I now understand from CA that 1900 copies of the guide were downloaded this year.

And £300 raised for charity. £300????

Am I alone in wondering why that sum was so small? An average of less than 16 pence per copy? What a shame we can't name the cheapskates. I'm disappointed that something so excellent didn't raise more. Could it not be 'no contribution to charity = no download' in 2008?
Old 10 Jul 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1960083)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That does seem small... I downloaded it and contributed $10 Cdn (about £4).

Sheesh, when you put it in pounds, that seems small.

I printed and bound 4 copies for our group, and they were a huge hit for the flight and drive reading.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 10 Jul 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1960126)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, on that basis Paul, the two of us contributed about 3% of the total....... I'm not bragging - I actually considered my contribution fairly nominal for such a work - but I firmly believe any member here who took it for no contribution at all should be thoroughly ashamed of him/herself..... If it had been on the shelf in W.H Smith for a fiver most of us would have bought it I suspect, without a second thought.
Old 11 Jul 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1960459)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Well, on that basis Paul, the two of us contributed about 3% of the total....... I'm not bragging - I actually considered my contribution fairly nominal for such a work - but I firmly believe any member here who took it for no contribution at all should be thoroughly ashamed of him/herself..... If it had been on the shelf in W.H Smith for a fiver most of us would have bought it I suspect, without a second thought.
well I downloaded it and paid a fiver to the charity - money well spent in my opinion.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1962333)   #13
Andy Zarse
Rookie

Andy Zarse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys, don't beat yourselves up over this! It's great that you contributed and the donation was only a suggestion. It was a bit disappointing it only directly raised £300 so yes there could well be some changes next year. But thanks for your efforts anyway, please feel free to contribute to the 2008 guide, after all 10/10ths is home to an amazing level of sportscar knowledge! I'm sure Werner would be delighted to include your contributions. There must be something to work from in the 10/10ths archives?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 12:32 (Ref:1962387)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm sure there is Andy - is there any specific area in which we could be of assistance, do you think?
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1965745)   #15
Andy Zarse
Rookie

Andy Zarse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I'm sure there is Andy - is there any specific area in which we could be of assistance, do you think?
We've got a lot of bases covered Ayse, but probably an historic article, maybe on our beloved Group C or something? Seem to remember a good story about the Jag victory in 1990 on here somewhere a few years back. For my part, I've been asked to contribute a Good Loo guide. It's not something I'll be looking into too closely!
Old 17 Jul 2007, 14:08 (Ref:1965749)   #16
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we were missing the detail of buses that run out to Mulsanne/Arnage/Indianapolis - the times that they run, where from (outside the Pub?), is there a cost - how badly do you have to elbow your way on to get on the last night bus?

Can anyone add some words on that subject?