Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1157362)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa is quite good Shocker.

Am i the only person who thought Massa did ok this year, i admit Fisi got the better of him on the whole but there was never a huge margin in qualifying, in fact Massa was his equal toward the end of the season, Fisi beat him on race pace but again Felipe definately closed the gap as the season wore on. When you consider that Fisi had such a good season you have to admit a good part of this could well be down to Massa making him work bloody hard to stay ahead. One more thing, he did keep it on the black stuff a lot more than a lot of people thought he would.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1157373)   #2
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if he is any faster than he was his rookie year, but the testing with Ferrari certainly calmed his driving down a lot and it payed off with some decent performances in '04. Certainly less wild at this point than Sato is after similar beginnings...

Still, if he doesn't beat JV regularly next year, I think his future won't be very bright
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1157386)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Massa began the year wilder than ever, but he calmed towards the end and became a consistent points scorer as Sauber also improved a lot.

And he's a great RACER.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:37 (Ref:1157387)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe he's peaked.

He won't get any better - and will lose out to Jacques Villeneuve.

Massa's style is still fundamentally flawed.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1157392)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree in a way KB, i can't see him improving a great deal. But I do think he'll be around for a good while and should become a moderate success.

I just enjoy watching his flawed style, to be honest!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1157466)   #6
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some reason, I find it hard to picture Villeneuve regularly beating Massa, don't know why really.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1157511)   #7
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unbeliever!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1157522)   #8
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with next years sauber line up i think if one drivers beating the other you may just see the slower one overdriving a little.

Last edited by Rich R; 18 Nov 2004 at 22:56.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1157541)   #9
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
I agree in a way KB, i can't see him improving a great deal. But I do think he'll be around for a good while and should become a moderate success.

I just enjoy watching his flawed style, to be honest!
So does Montoya! There was an interview with Montoya in F1 Racing in Australia a few months ago where Montoya made the comment that sometimes when following Massa he wondered how he stayed on the track with his unique driving style.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:20 (Ref:1157570)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
For some reason, I find it hard to picture Villeneuve regularly beating Massa, don't know why really.
His performance at Renault, perhaps?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1157711)   #11
BoatOwner
Rookie

BoatOwner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa has the weirdest driving style... its as if he doesn't believe in being at the edge of the track on entry to corners - he's almost closer to the middle of the track than he is to the edge of it.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1157944)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa had a fairly impressive season, with some great bursts of speed. It'll be itneresteing to see if he can match JV - he's given Fisichella his sternest test for years.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1157993)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is Massa's style flawed? Honestly, I have not paid too much attention to how he handles the car. I just know he always seemed pretty fast. Fisi was the better of the two but that is nothing new.

JV, well, I feel he peaked a while back. I feel if they both have a good year Massa will come out on top.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1158012)   #14
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa's tyle is quite outrageous, and one of the few that can be seen as such on the small screen of TV. He kind of flicks the car into the corner in a karting style - he'll approach the corner quite well into the track, and then fling the car to outside before flicking it back the other way and then into the apex. A bit like the countersteering of a rally car as it barkes and swings into a corner. he has calmed it down a bit compared to his rookie year though - sometimes it used to look like he could barely keep it on the straights, let alone the corners.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1158063)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we're going to see an epic battle between Villeneuve and Massa the like of which the world has never seen...they'll be fighting with each other over who can possibly go any slower, who can throw it off the circuit first and who can come up with the most imaginative ways to blame anyone except them.

It'll be quite riveting.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:29 (Ref:1158079)   #16
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felipe is certainly one of the most exciting drivers to watch, and although I can't see him improving that much beyond his current level, or beating an on-form JV if faced with one, he's a great asset to Formula 1 as a whole - a lot of the drivers simply aren't exciting to watch going round the track on their own.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1158258)   #17
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa was certainly closer to Fisichella than Button was in 2001 - and Jenson hasn't done too badly for himself more recently has he? Massa certainly looks like a fast, spectacular driver, who can actually overtake as well! Though he really needs to beat Villeneuve in '05 to keep his career moving forward.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 15:39 (Ref:1158264)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Button's driving style did not suit the 2001 Benetton.

It's really difficult to say X beat Y at Team 1, therefore Y will be quicker than Z at Team 2.

Great article on this, referencing Button, in this week's Autosport.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1158416)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was really Button's worst season - he didn't truly fit with the management, wasn't used to having a slower car, and was a bit too obsessed with the trappigns of fame to put real effort into his driving - Liz wrote a very good article for F1 Rejects about this at the time.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1158419)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

It wasn't about effort in his driving though - it was about his technique not suiting the nuances of that car.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:04 (Ref:1158630)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa had some impressive short term performances, but over a distance Fisi had a quiet substantial advantage. Does it really matter if he can qualify close to Fisi?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:09 (Ref:1158635)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roll on Massa for 2005.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1158638)   #23
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't matter, Jacques will tear his soul apart. *awful Pinhead immitation*
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1158645)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On the track or off the track?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1158652)   #25
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa all the way .. i was impressed by his race at Alfa Romeo . and since that day . i'm one of his fans . he had a low mid season / but came strong in the latter races

Ciao Marco