Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Oct 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1134267)   #1
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, you know what?, JPM won

Well it's been quite a long time since I last posted in this forum, and I couldn't find a better oportunity than this one to come back. Yes, my fellow countryman JPM won his only race of the season, and finally my national anthem was played in the podium. I'm very happy, and I just hope next season in McLaren JPM can win that WDC we colombians have been wating for so much. I have one question though, does the JPM fan club still exists?.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1134278)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hey you're in good company my good man, I have been a fan of Montoya since his Champ Car days, its great to see him win once again.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1134280)   #3
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo Berraco Juan Pablo

Hola hermano Kuchi.

I am with you in this great celebration.

Que viva Juan Pablo!

Colombia must be full of happy JPM fans.

What a great way to end his tenure with Frank and his Williams team.

Bravisimo!!!!!!
Old 24 Oct 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1134282)   #4
npperk
Rookie

npperk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flash in the pan, or motivation returning, with forward thinking for 2005? :confused:

I'd rather see Webber anyday!
Old 24 Oct 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1134321)   #5
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done JPM but it was also nice to hear the British national anthem for Williams too!!
Old 25 Oct 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1134390)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Bravo Berraco Juan Pablo

Quote:
Originally posted by race aficionado

Colombia must be full of happy JPM fans.

indeed.....although I'm thinking that some who only pay attention to those who are winning probably forgot about the. Anyway, to hell with them. At last!!

Can't wait to see those 2 (kimi and JPM) racing one another next year.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1134545)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to him.

I said earlier this year that he was driving better than ever, although it was strange that during Ralf's imposed exile he was pretty average. I guess that proves the point about Ralf's set up ability. Anyway it was a masterful performance from the word go.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 06:10 (Ref:1134555)   #8
oziengineer
Racer

oziengineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a big fan of montoya, it's absolutely brilliant for him to win! I jumped out of the sofa this morning with the news, but was let down by a crappy VCR. Still, from what I have read, it was an awesome race and I'm very glad to here he won and won well.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 09:03 (Ref:1134678)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If what McLaren are supposed to be saying, about knowing how to look after him and et more out of him, next year is going to be awesome. With the team approaching things different technically, and also with montoya feeling more relaxed and confident, I think he'll flourish. He certainly did not benefit from the stress of working a year's notice, or from a sudden change in the technical side of things (in the form of the other driver being off duty).
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1134788)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In terms of his actual driving, he's been as good as ever. The problem is that the car isn't impressive by Williams standards, and he struggles a bit on the set-up side and is reliant on having someone with that skill (such as Ralf) alongside him. Recently the car has made progress, and Ralf's return has helped.

It was a great drive from him, really aggressive when he needed to be, and controlled towards the end. He never looked likely to throw it off the road or into Kimi, he was always composed.

If McLaren can come up with a competitive car, it could be a great season between the two of them. They've both driven better this year than resutls suggest, and will certainly be hungry.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1134797)   #11
jet
Racer

Netherlands
Harderwijk (Netherlands)
jet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a great race by Montoya great to see him win and the Williams team
Old 25 Oct 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1134900)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was an excellent performance from Jaun Pablo. Now he just needs to bottle the commitment and speed he showed in Brasil and reproduce it every race weekend if he wants to compete with Kimi next year.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 12:24 (Ref:1134936)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Congrats to JPM totally deserved it.

Wonder if this really is "1 up" to JPM (over Kimi) as Mark Blundell suggested?
Old 25 Oct 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1134944)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Different cars this time. Same cars next time. That's when we'll see.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1135059)   #15
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but I don't think Raikkonen will like the way Montoya went around the outside of him when both were on cold Michelins.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1135171)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Different cars Peter yes....but watching the race again, I actually think Kimi had the better car on the day.

Just watch the Williams into turn one and Ferradura, see how it bounces around horribly, whilst the McLaren was serene in comparison. And the straightline speeds were similar too.

IMO, this really is one up to JPM.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 16:02 (Ref:1135261)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff, it's the sort of race and sort of result we've been waiting for all year!
Old 25 Oct 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1135420)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great drives from both JPM and Kimi. Can't wait for the two of them in McLaren's next year.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1135481)   #19
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM is good.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1135488)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done JPM... dont know if JPM is "one up" eventhough the car took the bumps bad... it still was the quicker over the entire weekend especially in the final sector...
Old 25 Oct 2004, 19:07 (Ref:1135501)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually I thought Montoya was (unexpectedly) relatively poor in the final sector. He didn't really have the speed down the start finish straight. He mainly purpled in S2 and S1 from what I remember. He also seemed to lose out down the start finish straight to other even when in the tow.

Great drive, amongst many good drives.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 21:00 (Ref:1135656)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well JPM did set the fastest lap time of the race...
Old 25 Oct 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1135764)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Speed announcers (David Hobbs, Steve Matchett, and Bob Varsha) were really ragging on ol JPM.

They said basically that he only shows interest in the race when he's up front, and seems to have no motivation when he's back in the mid field. They also said that he won't be very good at giving McLaren much in the way of technical feedback like that get from DC. He's a show-up and race kind of guy.

I can't disagree with them.

But good race from him yesterday...

Danica Patrick
Old 25 Oct 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1135775)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just looking over the sector times (from Q I can't find the race) I see that JPM was competitive in S3 (second fastest to Ralf). However it is a short sector and there is little to chose between the top few.

Interestingly his top speed is well down - 9kph down on Michael. I gather MS was running low wing as he expected to be in the pack, but Montoya was only 15th overall through the speed trap. (This was measured at the end of the first straight - according to the map on F1.com).
Old 25 Oct 2004, 23:05 (Ref:1135803)   #25
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice one JPM - can't wait for next year. Have a good feeling about it.

Tags
jpm