Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2699374)   #1
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Round 7: Turkish Grand Prix

This weekend sees the Turkish Grand Prix and gives Formula 1 a chance to move on from the controversial end to the Monaco Grand Prix. Mercedes have drawn a line under the incident after assurances that from the FIA that the safety car procedures will be looked into at the next World Council meeting so now it is up the action on track to remind fans of why they love this sport. It is not for protracted legal techncalicalities but rather because of the enjoyment everyone gets from seeing a full blooded racing car in action on a challenging circuit. It is quite fitting than that the Turkish Grand Prix is next up on the calander.

The Istanbul Park Circuit

Designed, as per usual it seems, by German circuit architect Herman Tilke this fast and flowing track just outside of Istanbul is different to any of his other other creations. While many of the “Tilkedrome” circuits are bland and relativily feature less Istanbul is a great circuit with undulations and fast sweeping bends. Indeed while most of Tilke’s creations have left a lot to be desired as far as ultimate challenge to the drivers this one has what is now regarded as Formula 1’s most difficult corner. The triple apex Turn 8 is an immense test of a drivers precision, nerve and ability.

With the cars spending in the region of six seconds in the Turn 8 complex per lap it is clear that this is an area where there is lots of time to be gained or lost. In the race though it is not that simple as Lewis Hamilton has found out countless times. The tyres face maximum load through here and as a result if a driver pushes too hard the tyres wear at an exceptional rate. Even with the current super hard tyres that drivers have consistently managed to nurse through races-Alonso completed all but one lap in Monaco on a single set-this section could be one of the few faced this year that causes serious wear problems for teams and drivers.

Apart from Turn 8 there are a series of off camber turns throughout the lap with Turn 1 consistently causing havoak in races and Turn 4 also having the ability to catch unwary drivers out on cold tyres at the start of races. The ending section of the lap is quite tight and twisty and stunts some of the flow created from the majority of the lap but it is here that pole position will be sorted and this section is therefore crucial for the results of Sunday’s race. Drivers brake into Turn 12 from the region of 200 mph and then have to shuffle the cars through the last two turns where consistently we see good laps fall apart in qualifying.

Weather for this weekend’s Grand Prix

While changeable weather has been the norm this season, with the threat of rain hanging over almost every race weekend so far there are no such worries ahead of this weekend. Clear skies are expected on Saturday and Sunday with temperatures in the high twenties. Friday is expected to cloud over ahead of the afternoon session but even so temperatures should be quite high. The wind can be a factor through Turn 8 with gusts affecting the aerodynamic balance but wind speeds are expected to be quite low and the overall the weather will be very favourable for the performance of the cars.

Statistics ahead of the Turkish Grand Prix

This circuit has been dominated in the past by Felipe Massa who has taken three wins from pole position. The Brazilian will need to recapture that form if he is to stave off the rumours of him losing his drive. His team have cooled on him considerably this season with rumours of Mark Webber or Robert Kubica linked to replacing him. Massa has said that he is not comfortable in the car right now and has been solidly beaten by his teammate Alonso throughout the season but did show some signs of life in Monaco. With this being one of the circuits that he has traditionally excelled it will be of crucial importance that he can beat his teammate if he is to end rumours of his departure from the red team.

This race was first run in 2005 and won by then McLaren driver Kimi Raikkonen from pole position. Last year was the first race not won from pole, Jenson Button beating Sebastian Vettel en route to his world title. Historically Turkey has had a high finishing rate with over 85% of starters seeing the chequered flag and close racing has been the norm with an average winning margin of seven seconds.

What can we expect from this weekend?

The expectation is once more for Red Bull to stretch away at the front of the field. Webber has dominated the last two weekends with pole positions and race wins so the main question ahead of this weekend’s race is whether his teammate Vettel can get his performances on a par. The team claim he was hampered by a damaged chassis in Spain and Monaco so this race will give us an understanding of just how much that issue affected the young German.

Top speed has generally been rewarded by fast lap times and strong finishes around this track so this should be a great opportunity for McLaren and Ferrari to utilise their F-ducts and hopefully bring the fight to the Red Bull team. Outside of the main contenders Force India have historically been very fast down the straights so this could be another race weekend where Adrian Sutil performs well.

Last season Brawn GP left Turkey knowing that they no longer had the fastest car on the grid as Red Bull moved past and started to show their true potential. It is only now that the Milton Keyes based team have shown just how good they can be and there is little to suggest that they will be caught anytime soon. It would be brave to bet against another Red Bull win and with Mark Webber in such strong form if would be tough to bet against the Australian making it a hat trick of victories.

Past Winners
2009 Jenson Button Brawn GP
2008 Felipe Massa Ferrari
2007 Felipe Massa Ferrari
2006 Felipe Massa Ferrari
2005 Kimi Raikonen McLaren

BBC Schudule
Friday 28 May:
Practice one: 0755-0935
Practice two: 1155-1335
Saturday 29 May:
Practice three: 0855-1005
Qualifying: 1100-1330
Sunday 30 May:
Race: 1210-1520
Old 27 May 2010, 17:20 (Ref:2699397)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Current championship standings:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...JDMkE&hl=en_GB
Old 27 May 2010, 18:12 (Ref:2699431)   #3
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna miss this race cause I'll be down in London ><. Hope it's a good one though, I love the Istanbul Park circuit,
Old 27 May 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2699432)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers frostie.

How many expect Massa to beat Alonso this weekend at one of his stomping grounds? I don't. I think Alonso has a good upper hand now.
Old 27 May 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2699503)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

How many expect Massa to beat Alonso this weekend at one of his stomping grounds? I don't. I think Alonso has a good upper hand now.
I don't either and believe that Fernando will finish 3rd behind the 2 Red Bulls.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2699514)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I don't either and believe that Fernando will finish 3rd behind the 2 Red Bulls.
That's exactly what I went for in the predictions contest.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2699524)   #7
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My prediction for the podium is the RBR's and Alonso. Alonso having started ahead of Massa and Massa slowly falling back as he over drives again.
Article in Autosport today stated that Alonso called a team meeting after Australia as he felt he could have won if the team had ordered Massa aside. The journalist wrote that Massa would never have called such a meeting as he is happy being friends with the team etc whereas Alonso is an animal who fights for everything including galvanising the team around him.
This fact alone shows how the team is moulding itself to Alonso.
I know the Italian press is giving him crap at the moment, but considering he's been pretty much last in four races this season, and fought his way through, and he had the retirement in Malaysia, personally I think the guy is performng miracles to be 3 points behind. Then again, the Italian press are a bunch of idiots anyway.
I think if he is within a race win of the RBR's when we have finished the British GP, I don't think RBR will be backing off anytime soon.
If RBR stay dominant and aren't pushed then they'll win consistently throughout. But if RBR has their fragility pushed in GP's, then we'll see some fascinating results.
I for one don't believe this season is done and dusted by a long shot.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2699527)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
This fact alone shows how the team is moulding itself to Alonso.
I know the Italian press is giving him crap at the moment, but considering he's been pretty much last in four races this season, and fought his way through, and he had the retirement in Malaysia, personally I think the guy is performng miracles to be 3 points behind. Then again, the Italian press are a bunch of idiots anyway.
Woah.....

Watch out you'll end up with a horses head under your quilt for that!

Alonso is the only driver who can get anywhere near the Red Bull's this weeekend, prividing there's no more knobbling of the Ferrari. They'll get into their stride sooner or later ands then things might get even more interesting at the front.

Last edited by chunterer; 27 May 2010 at 20:36.
Old 27 May 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2699540)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I might watch this race, but I'm going to Carlisle to watch the Eurovision Song Contest so I might miss it. If ever there's a good reason to miss a race, that has to be it.

I can't see anything other than a Red Bull 1-2, unless their unreliability strikes again. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Massa just edge Alonso this weekend though, considering his past form in Turkey. If he's nowhere compared to Alonso at this track, then he won't get near him for the rest of the season.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 May 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2699553)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I might watch this race, but I'm going to Carlisle to watch the Eurovision Song Contest so I might miss it. If ever there's a good reason to miss a race, that has to be it.
The Eurovision Song Contest is being held in Carlisle?
Old 27 May 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2699584)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
great intro frostie

herowassenna, is there a link for that article or is it from the magazine? maybe its true or maybe its just another sensational headline but for me, i just see it as another example of how classy Massa is. behind the scenes Alonso might really be putting the screws to him within the team but Massa just keeps his mouth shut and does his work.

every race someone wins and well every one else loses but Massa will forever be great! guys like Alonso are only as good as their last win because at the end of the day they choose to act like all that matters is winning.

anyways, i look forward to Massa's previous success here giving him the boost he needs to get his season going and stop this speculation.
Old 27 May 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2699589)   #12
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
great intro frostie

herowassenna, is there a link for that article or is it from the magazine? maybe its true or maybe its just another sensational headline but for me, i just see it as another example of how classy Massa is. behind the scenes Alonso might really be putting the screws to him within the team but Massa just keeps his mouth shut and does his work.

every race someone wins and well every one else loses but Massa will forever be great! guys like Alonso are only as good as their last win because at the end of the day they choose to act like all that matters is winning.

anyways, i look forward to Massa's previous success here giving him the boost he needs to get his season going and stop this speculation.
No that was from an article in the magazine. I haven't got it to hand yet, but when I do, I'll copy out the relevant piece.

Regarding class, I can only speak of what I have seen on Italian TV, because obviously the Italian media before the season was focused on Alonso. He comes across as a really nice guy, something I've heard about him when he lived in Oxford whilst racing for Renault. Competition breeds a different man. A winner.
Apologies to Jab, but another reference to St Ayrton!! It was only after his death, that books spoke about what kind of a man he was. Humble, despite his wealth, and a humanitarian who was in the process of setting up the Senninha foundation to provide for the poor children of Brazil, something his sister developed after his death.
Or he went to see Denny Hulme's widow privately before his funeral because he knew his presence would dominate the media. This was something revealed by his friend Dr Sid Watkins.
Yet Ayrton was probably, and maybe still is, seen as the most ruthless driver in history...

Isn't the classic quote for sportsmen "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser..."
Old 28 May 2010, 00:18 (Ref:2699629)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Isn't the classic quote for sportsmen "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser..."
Another is: "When winning is everything, something is lost".

Should be a good race and hopefully the predictably predictable RedBull one-two followed by Alonso will be a little less certain than some seem to think.

Massa has one three out of five here, so he should go well. Having said that, Bridgestone have brought their harder tyres for this race, so maybe not. Another "Borerain" in prospect?

Apparently the track has been resurfaced and the ticket prices cut too.
Old 28 May 2010, 07:11 (Ref:2699734)   #14
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone is invited to join in to 10 Tenth Chatroom for some talk during the sessions

Session P1 got underway already. It is one h earlier than normal this weekend, for the practice sessions at least
Old 28 May 2010, 09:02 (Ref:2699770)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Poor Chandhok! Him having to roll the car round the track, back to the pits was somewhat amusing... Still feel bad for him, though!

"So what was the problem, Karun?"
"Ahh, we were just getting more TV time!.... No, only joking!" lmao

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2699773)   #16
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be great for Webber if he can manage the hat trick but l think it was about this time last season that the wheels fell off his momentum.
Old 28 May 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2699785)   #17
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Another is: "When winning is everything, something is lost".
Isn't it funny how when we are polled after a race, the majority choose driver of race as the winner. Rarely does a place driver take the accolade unless his display has been awesome. Then the reasoning is he has won his personal battle with the said circumstances.
Winning doesn't apply to sport only. What about humans as a race, if winning hadn't been everything, would they give up on life?
Old 28 May 2010, 09:57 (Ref:2699802)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
So, the question is, how much on a scale of 1 to 10 are Red Bull sandbagging right now?

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2699813)   #19
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I would say about 10/10 sandbagging - they will run & hide by Q3...
Old 28 May 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2699821)   #20
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Next question - How big will the gap be to everyone else?

I'm going with 4 tenths.

That Red Bull will be blistering through the quick corners, leading out on to the long straights where they'll further gain advantage.

Selby
Old 28 May 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2699880)   #21
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far out, Webber wanting someone to chock the wheels of the Red Bull was funny as! I thought he was going to get out and use the marshals for chocks!

Both Vettel and Webber with reliability problems then, not good.
Old 28 May 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2699883)   #22
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Engine gone for Webber? There looked to be oil under the car when he stopped...
Old 28 May 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2699887)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Isn't it funny how when we are polled after a race, the majority choose driver of race as the winner. Rarely does a place driver take the accolade unless his display has been awesome. Then the reasoning is he has won his personal battle with the said circumstances.
Winning doesn't apply to sport only. What about humans as a race, if winning hadn't been everything, would they give up on life?
Wow, deep thoughts out there...
Old 28 May 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2699888)   #24
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
That was funny. We now know the international sign language for "please use your fire extinguisher to chock the front wheel of my Formula 1 car"
Old 29 May 2010, 01:16 (Ref:2700211)   #25
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
great intro frostie

I think certain media outlets and the pubic like demonising Alonso. A friend went to school with a McLaren mechanic and he speaks of how the team liked Alonso and working with him.

A story broke in the McLaren days and it read something like "Alonso bribing mechanics so he can beat Hamilton". The truth was that when he won a GP he shared his race bonus with his engineers, as he sees that its his guys in the pits that do as much for is victories as he does on the track. How mnay dirvers do that? The whole article about calling a meeting etc is probably another beat up and has been manipulated and reported as something it wasnt. It was probably just a post race de-brief which people want to pump up into a story