Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2945707)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectating and Marshalling

It struck me today that some people continue to go to motorsport events as spectators after they've become marshals.

I wondered how widespread this is - personally, apart from the occasional NASCAR race and some UK short oval, I've not spectated since I started marshalling.

I appreciate you can maybe photograph more (I'm not a photog fan), turn up and leave when you want and see different thing, but I'd always be wanting to be part of the event.

What's your view?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2945710)   #2
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ave been marshalling for 5 years now and try to take at least a couple of days off marshalling in every season, so i can indulge my interest in Photography
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2945716)   #3
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I started marshalling I've not spectated very often, but do continue to spectate some events.

I was always quite into photography so still enjoy going to an event for that, and going with mates.

I do find that I am struggling to stay in "spectator" mode when im not marshalling, and dont enjoy spectating anywhere near as much as I used to.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2945722)   #4
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spectate at meetings/cicuits where I would never consider marshalling, typically the WHT meeting at Silverstone, at least if I get cold or bored I can go home!!!!!

Bladders..................
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2945724)   #5
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Normally only if a relative is racing, be it cars, bikes or motocross, so plenty of options.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2945725)   #6
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the two years I've been marshalling I've been to exactly one event as a spectator (Masters at Brands back at the end of May). That was simply because I could, and took my camera to tinker with. It felt very odd, though, being able to move about!

In a few weeks I'm taking the family to Rockingham for the BTCC and 10th birthday party. Looking forward to it, too, regardless of how odd it will feel - and am hoping to use some of the contacts I've made through marshalling to get some surprise moments for the kids.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2945735)   #7
BIGPAUL
Racer

England
Braintree
BIGPAUL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since starting Marshaling i only spectate at local moto x track or if i go short circuit oval racing
Old 25 Aug 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2945741)   #8
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spectate the odd few meetings just to spend some time with my son rather than talking to him across a fence, although next year he should joining the orange army..
Old 25 Aug 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2945749)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Since we started marshalling the only spectating we've done is NASCAR. I couldn't contemplate spectating at a "normal" race meeting - the main reason I marshal is because I need to be involved, not just a spectator.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2945785)   #10
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
It struck me today that some people continue to go to motorsport events as spectators after they've become marshals.

I wondered how widespread this is - personally, apart from the occasional NASCAR race and some UK short oval, I've not spectated since I started marshalling.
I've never been to a motorsport event as a spectator, save for watching the end of Friday testing at events I've turned up early for. The closest I got prior to that was a visit to Donington market.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:24 (Ref:2945791)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Completely lost the ability to spectate. I've tried very occasionally (1st Champ Car Rockingham plus odd events) but on the whole I feel like a fish out of water.

I've been to a small number of events as a photographer on a press pass which I enjoy occasionally, but wouldn't want to do it too often.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2945799)   #12
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a newish marshal i have not gone back (except for one trip to the f1 and i can say i ddint enjoy it as much being behind the fence). However i still spectate at goodwood as it is a spectating event, more than a marshalling event and it is more about looking around and at the cars than anything else and as a marshal at that event you are constrained a bit more.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2945800)   #13
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm the same as most. Marshal more than spectate but like to use the camera ;-)
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2945817)   #14
chriskench
Racer

England
henley-on-thames
chriskench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i found since i started marshaling i dont enjoy or get in to just wacthing anymore need to be on the other side of fence
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2945818)   #15
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never went to a race venue before marshalling, although I watched a fair bit on TV - especially Dickie Davies on ITV world of sport with live rallycross most Saturday afternoons!

I don't think I could ever enjoy being on the speccy side of the fence, especially if the marshal posts looked as if they could do with a bit more help.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2945886)   #16
lucky scarf
Rookie

Wales
Kinmel Bay
lucky scarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only started spectating at Oulton Park in 2008 and after two events started wandering what all the people in orange did. Been as a spectator a few times to OP since starting as a marshal in 2009, always with my son and it is strange being the wrong side of the fence so to speak. Obviously apart from seeing stuff with my son, the nice bits are being able to watch races from different parts of the circuit. Was glad I was there as a spectator for the SPEED race last year at OP last year as it meant I was able see the "action" from different parts of the circuit before deciding to leave before the end unlike everyone else.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:34 (Ref:2945896)   #17
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last race I spectated at was Le Mans 2007, as a first timer.
Otherwise, never felt the need to spectate as marshals get the best view in the house, and for free!
Did, however do a lot of spectating at this year's Spa 24 hrs. Even though we went as marshals, our only shift, during the 24 hr race, was 12am until 4am! We did the support races and had 3 shift teams on our post.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2945905)   #18
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Otherwise, never felt the need to spectate as marshals get the best view in the house, and for free!
You're nearly right! I get the best view in the house; from the commentary box!!
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2945910)   #19
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The majority of the things that I have spectated at since I have started marshalling have been those in which I have had no particular interest in marshalling at such as kart meetings, or more frequently, short oval meetings.

I occasionally spectate at car meetings and generally end up doing something anoraky, such as lap charting races for fun.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2945946)   #20
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can only think of one time i've spectated since i started marshalling and that was the grand prix the year i started on my dads guest pass.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2945951)   #21
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't go to race meetings to spectate, if I have the time to go, then I have the time to help out; people power is something that meetings can never get enough of down here.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2945955)   #22
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't spectated since I started marshalling three years ago.
I have briefly 'popped in' en route past Brands, Combe or Snett on test or track days or the Friday before marshalling a weekend. Seems strange now though, to be behind the fence.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2946177)   #23
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spectate at the Goodwood Revival if I'm not marshaling.

It's really hard. I can't really get to grips with which side of the fence I'm supposed to be on!
Old 26 Aug 2011, 08:23 (Ref:2946196)   #24
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only race I've spectated at is the LMS at Silverstone since becoming a marshal. It's the only chance I get to play with my camera and a great race to watch from all around the track, as well as the grid walk.

I must admit though if there are any incidents it feels frustrating not to be a part of the team getting the racing back underway
Old 26 Aug 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2946201)   #25
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We tend to to to places like LM and Spa either as media or just as spectators. We don't really watch very much we go to the events as many of our friends are there and we enjoy the overall experience. I don't really have the patience to sit in a viewing area for hours on end watching cars going around. We watch a lot of endurance motorsport on TV LMS/ALMS etc. which I suppose is spectating without getting wet or sunburnt!