Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:41 (Ref:442566)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
York City Team B&Q Painting

Here is a painting I have recently done that some of you may be aware of through Craig.
It was commissioned by John B&Q and shows his BTCC team with Jim Edwards Jr. passing John through Deer Leap at Oulton.
It is a contrived scene with Simon's BMW and Pyper's Alfa following. Craig and the gang can be seen behind the orange B&Q banner on the inside.
John had plans to print it but unfortunately these are shelved. The painting is 24 x 18ins.
I hope you like it.
Cheers. AK
Attached Thumbnails
yorkc.jpg  
Old 4 Dec 2002, 17:30 (Ref:442691)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely top work Andrew - as I've said before it's an excellent painting. It brings back some happy memories of an exciting year and I cannot wait until we hit the tracks again in 2003!
Old 4 Dec 2002, 20:36 (Ref:442784)   #3
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice one Andrew, that's absolutely brilliant!
Old 4 Dec 2002, 21:25 (Ref:442821)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Craig & Carrie. Enjoyed painting it. Oulton is always good for backgrounds.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 21:32 (Ref:442830)   #5
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got to admit it's one of my favourite places for photos as well, especially using Lodge as a backdrop for the cars.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:39 (Ref:442896)   #6
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely, Andrew! I like the inclusion of the B&Q flag so I can imagine myself behind it somewhere.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:51 (Ref:442910)   #7
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehehehe love it!
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:56 (Ref:442918)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I can see Nigel...
Old 5 Dec 2002, 18:55 (Ref:443559)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
where ?
Old 5 Dec 2002, 22:01 (Ref:443709)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The one in red behind the B&Q banner by any chance...

Very nice one Andrew -top job.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 16:32 (Ref:444372)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Painting that area of Oulton has reminded me that one day - I must paint a scene at Deer Leap of Chris Amon in his 1968 Ferrari F1 car in the days when the top F1 drivers and teams competed in the Gold Cup.Hard to imagine that now! There were once 3 works Ferrari's at Oulton in this non Championship F1 event.
Oulton is still a fabulous place but back then it was incredibly dangerous, the 'Avenue' between Old Hall and Cascades
really was just that with no protection in front of the tree trunks. There were far more trees generally and many in dangerous places as the unfortunate brilliant Australian Paul 'Hawkeye' Hawkins found out when he was killed in 1969. At the entry to the Esso hairpin, his Lola T70 MkIIIB group 4 sports racer hit a tree and he died instantly.
Sad times but thankfully the racing is a lot safer now yet Oulton retains its character.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 02:39 (Ref:444801)   #12
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another greta painting! it would have to be contrived though, John never got that far round the track!
Old 7 Dec 2002, 12:48 (Ref:444992)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Now, now! It *could* have been during free practice or qualifying where the pair spent a great deal of time running in tandem... so there
Old 7 Dec 2002, 12:57 (Ref:444995)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Or on the warm up lap coming up to the grid to form up on the front row!! Next season Craig..
Old 8 Dec 2002, 00:47 (Ref:445337)   #15
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
true it could be! i wasn't having a go at John, it's not his fault Steven Wood punted him of at Island!
Old 8 Dec 2002, 07:32 (Ref:445428)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loveley Painting Andrew.......Makes me think back to the Summer and enjoying the racing.
Old 8 Dec 2002, 11:33 (Ref:445520)   #17
supertouring
Racer

supertouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks as if you can turn your hand to any type of car - what is the most unusual you have ever been asked to paint?
Also, how long does it take to produce such a painting, and do you always get it right first time?
Old 8 Dec 2002, 15:12 (Ref:445657)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks again folks for the comments. Supertouring - I guess the most unusual car I ever had to paint was an artistic impression of the yet to be built Mercedes/Swatch Smart car.
There seem to be plenty of them around now, especially in the cities but it seemed a very odd car when I did the artwork over in Germany about 10 years ago, hence 'most unusual' when I painted it. That is how far in advance the car industry operates. I had to paint it from
conceptial sketches from the Mercedes styling department.
A painting like the Oulton one above normally takes around 7-10 days. And no - it doesn't always go right first time!