Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:50 (Ref:2666972)   #101
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
Totally changed the character of this section, complete vandalism IMO...
Needed sorting out before someone else got killed really, only barrier i have ever though actually needed moving back.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2667148)   #102
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Complete vandalism!, The track on the current pits straight has been made to look so narrow by the new gravel traps that I fear this may cause more accidents.

They have put these ridiculously sized traps opposite the current pits, I wonder if they will do the same opposite the new pits on the club straight, maybe this has been done so that Bernie cannot see the 'Great Unwashed' (paying public) from his hospitality box.

As for the new Arena section shown on the video, I can see this generating little or no overtaking as it appears to be just one niggly bend after another.

Are the BRDC intent on the circuit covering 3 counties instead of 2?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2667165)   #103
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
As for the new Arena section shown on the video, I can see this generating little or no overtaking as it appears to be just one niggly bend after another.
I'm also a bit unimpressed with that section, I know cars will perhaps be a bit faster through it than the bike videos on YouTube, but why didn't they open up the entry to it a bit more?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2667232)   #104
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Complete vandalism!, The track on the current pits straight has been made to look so narrow by the new gravel traps that I fear this may cause more accidents.

They have put these ridiculously sized traps opposite the current pits, I wonder if they will do the same opposite the new pits on the club straight, maybe this has been done so that Bernie cannot see the 'Great Unwashed' (paying public) from his hospitality box.

Are the BRDC intent on the circuit covering 3 counties instead of 2?
Mark as with Brands Hatch, these "beaches" are put in at the requst of WSB and Moto, GP to try and stop riderless bikes bouncing too high. The new pits on Club straight, I have been told, will be for F1 only so, hopefully, there will not be any need for any more beaches.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2667402)   #105
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Mark as with Brands Hatch, these "beaches" are put in at the requst of WSB and Moto, GP to try and stop riderless bikes bouncing too high. The new pits on Club straight, I have been told, will be for F1 only so, hopefully, there will not be any need for any more beaches.
But that's already happened as noted by pictures earlier in this thread, the spectator banking on the outside of Club has been trimmed back a little further. So much so that there's not much space between an access road and the new fence positions.

As for riderless bikes bouncing too high, well why not just build taller fences and keep people closer to the action. We're all viewing through fences most of the time anyway.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2667639)   #106
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for riderless bikes bouncing too high, well why not just build taller fences and keep people closer to the action. We're all viewing through fences most of the time anyway.
I should think the effect of a large amount of weight hitting something quite high up would mean that the structure would have to be quite substantial, moreso than the existing fences. Otherwise there's a risk that something heavy hitting high up could bend or break the fence.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2667719)   #107
MattGreen
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
MattGreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Flat12-Aircool;2666894]Totally changed the character of this section, complete vandalism IMO...

You have to remember that the pits are going to be relocated to a new complex, so I guess there is no need to have things as they were. Moreover, when silverstone lost the F1 race, they had just signed up the Moto GP, and that requires the extra run-off area which you can see in the picture.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2667722)   #108
MattGreen
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
But that's already happened as noted by pictures earlier in this thread, the spectator banking on the outside of Club has been trimmed back a little further. So much so that there's not much space between an access road and the new fence positions.

I think the issue was/is the proximity of the old wall/run-off to the track. Moto GP hasn't been back to suzuka for years after kato went into a wall and died. Thus, I guess they had to widen the areas for gravel traps to ensure that the riders do not hit anything too close. Sadly for some, this comes at the expense of close spectator viewing areas.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2667769)   #109
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well this is all very well giving excuses as to why Silverstone is being carved up. But the end result is that the Spectators will feel even more detached from the action. Who's going to keep paying £100+ for a race you can barely see?

I imagine most of this years British GP tickets have now already been sold, but I predict that next year the attendance will be down from this year after many will see what poor value for money they will be getting.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2667809)   #110
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I imagine most of this years British GP tickets have now already been sold, but I predict that next year the attendance will be down from this year after many will see what poor value for money they will be getting.
I'm not so sure about that. It's hardly been value for money for the last 10 years and they've had no problems selling ticket. The corporate hospitality market care more about the catering than the grandstand view, the general admission crowd aren't in a grandstand so won't be effected.

It's really only the start-line grandstands that are being moved back, and once the new pitlane and start-line are built these will no longer be premium seats anyhow. I expect there will be new grandstands built opposite the new pitlane. Plus you don't know yet what the grandstands around the new 'Arena' section will be like.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2667840)   #111
MattGreen
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's really only the start-line grandstands that are being moved back, and once the new pitlane and start-line are built these will no longer be premium seats anyhow. I expect there will be new grandstands built opposite the new pitlane. Plus you don't know yet what the grandstands around the new 'Arena' section will be like.
Exactly. Best thing is to wait until it's all finished before saying how bad it is. From some of the reports on the new bits of the track, there will be more spectator viewing spots than before, with many closer banking sections being put in.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2667869)   #112
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post
Looks like 1 of my fave spots is left - so far http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/

Usually sit in the grandstand to the right, offers a good photography spot
Thats where I like to stand to take photos too.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 00:19 (Ref:2668007)   #113
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Plus you don't know yet what the grandstands around the new 'Arena' section will be like.
According to the latest plans there are just 2 New grandstands in the Arena section, situated near the first braking zone. That's it basically, they're not even bothering to put anything down the National straight.

When considering also that they'll effectively be losing a couple of Grandstands around the Farm/Bridge area, then it really doesn't add up to much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGreen View Post
From some of the reports on the new bits of the track, there will be more spectator viewing spots than before, with many closer banking sections being put in.
As for closer Banking sections, I'm sorry I don't believe a word of it. After viewing a considerable amount of Photo's of the "de-construction" I've seen no evidence of this happening at all. Looking at the plans again, most of the Arena section is surrounded on either side by about 50ft+ of run-off & gravel so any spectator banking here will have no better view than the now butchered Pit Straight.

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 7 Apr 2010 at 00:33.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2668086)   #114
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
According to the latest plans there are just 2 New grandstands in the Arena section, situated near the first braking zone. That's it basically, they're not even bothering to put anything down the National straight.
Nothing permanent on the National straight maybe but don't be surprised a number of temporary stands spring up in time for the GP.

Quote:
When considering also that they'll effectively be losing a couple of Grandstands around the Farm/Bridge area, then it really doesn't add up to much.
However they now have both sides of the link between Abbey and Arrowhead to use.

Quote:
Looking at the plans again, most of the Arena section is surrounded on either side by about 50ft+ of run-off & gravel so any spectator banking here will have no better view than the now butchered Pit Straight.
Look at where the current Luffield In stand is in relation to the edge of the track. That's just as far back as the proposed Arena stands yet the have no problem filling that on GP day.

This isn't to say that I am a fan of the changes. At a club meeting the extra distance and fences will be annoying but you are talking about the GP. I suspect that most people at the GP will either except the changes as the price to be paid or know no different. Either way I seriously doubt your prediction of attendances going down.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2668136)   #115
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it pains me to say it but i agree with redshoes. silverstone has always been an arse for being so far from the action at club meetings - it's common sense that if you want to go and see the cars up close you go to a different meeting.

i think you have to trust silverstone - they know which side their bread is buttered on, they want to get as many people through the doors as possible and make it look good, especially after the donington debacle.

don't always assume the worst - i know we get conditioned to do so being british and all but really, if you think the worst you're always looking for the things that could go wrong and only see the negatives. the positives are that silverstone have managed to get through the shoddy weather, carry out their improvements with minimum disruption, no meetings have been cancelled and nothing has fallen apart.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 10:49 (Ref:2668156)   #116
MattGreen
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
The Button/Hamilton effect will keep the gp weekend packed. I'm pretty sure I read that silverstone had sold the most amount of tickets ever in the first 24 hours after they went on sale.

As I said earlier, it's best to wait until it's finished before passing too much judgment...
Old 7 Apr 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2668159)   #117
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone could have closed it's doors while the work was done but then we may well have had another Donington on our hands. This was always going to be a tough year for all involved but I'm sure the finished circuit will be great. Just give it time!
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2668475)   #118
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see Bernie allowing the general public access to his infield to use grandstands on the north side of the National straight. The couple of grandstands at the Arena section on the plans are actually on the outside of the circuit and so will be fenced off from the corporate types.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2668485)   #119
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some images from last weekend
The new pitwall and the huge run-off and gravel trap at Club

The swing right at Abbey towards the Arena...pitlane exit filtering in on the right

The exit of the Arena onto the National straight...the track is the thin ribbon on the extreme left.

Woodcote exit...from left to right it's track, mud, tarmac run-off, gravel, mud

and a view of the current pit straight from Copse
Old 7 Apr 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2668490)   #120
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Brands. Some interesting photos, although there's more beaches than Normandy!
Still think it would be better if they moved the Pedestrian Bridge flag point to the end of the pit lane. Just can't see drivers looking at the flag point where it is now.

Last edited by White flag man; 7 Apr 2010 at 21:17.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2668497)   #121
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great photos. Is that gravel trap at Club new?
Old 7 Apr 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2668503)   #122
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx View Post
Great photos. Is that gravel trap at Club new?

Yes-it used to be all asphalt. I think the corner has been re-profiled aswell (not wandered down that end of the circuit yet), which is actually the only change to the old GP circuit layout. It just looks so different with all the new gravel/run off areas.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2668539)   #123
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
Yes-it used to be all asphalt. I think the corner has been re-profiled aswell (not wandered down that end of the circuit yet), which is actually the only change to the old GP circuit layout. It just looks so different with all the new gravel/run off areas.
I think there's still a bit of confusion over what they have planned for Club.

I've seen various statements to suggest they'd like to try and keep the old profile of Club available for Car racing events, but use the new "Squared off" profile for bikes.

The pictures I've seen so far (including these excellent ones from Brands) indicate to me that this is still a possibility.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 06:36 (Ref:2668629)   #124
brands
Veteran

The only option I saw down at Club is that they have left the "historic circuit" Vale as well as the modern chicane.

I have uploaded the rest of my shots to a gallery here, http://nonmotorsport.fotopic.net/c1834863.html which includes further images of the Vale/Club area.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2668966)   #125
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The only option I saw down at Club is that they have left the "historic circuit" Vale as well as the modern chicane.
Well what I see is that there's some curbing that's been lade part way around the bend, but it doesn't extend all the way around hence the Cones in this photo...

http://nonmotorsport.fotopic.net/p64133660.html

This might leave enough space to provide for the Old style club to run on the outside of this curbing.

Take this photo also...

http://nonmotorsport.fotopic.net/p64133673.html

The break in the curbing and the cones are just visible in the distance. Plus even by MotoGP standards there seems an awful lot of Tarmac & Gravel for what is essentially (in it's new profile) a Slow to Medium corner.

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 8 Apr 2010 at 17:15.