Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 9 Feb 2006, 23:07 (Ref:1519260)   #1
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panther Announcement Tomorrow

2:00 PM EDT in conjunction with the Indy Racing League.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1519501)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
YES!!!!!!!

I haven't walked out to get th Indy Star this morning, but I'm assuming it is Enge as the driver???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1519513)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I assumed wrong!!!!

Welcome to Panther Racing, VITOR MEIRA!!!!!

Look up the "Pit Pass" column at www.indystar.com to read the interview with the principals at Panther.

Old 10 Feb 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1519622)   #4
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news for the IRL and they picked up a good driver as well. This does not however leave much room for Enge amonst the other teams.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1519628)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Meira would have probably been a bigger loss than Enge, so I'm glad he's found a competitive ride. Hopefully Panther will now have a strong season, and maybe get a 2nd car out there for the 500.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1519651)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Enge might be a possible "Indy Only" ride????

Last year, Enge ran at Sebring & Le Mans with Aston Martin, and I don't think that he has anything lined up for the full ALMS or LMS seasons...

I hope that someone would pick him up, because he likes racing in the IRL, from what I've read, and he did show that he could drive well last season

Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1519712)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SpeedTV.com has posted a piece on this as well now, http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/21987/

Interestingly it seems Pennzoil will return as sponsor, if SpeedTV is correct, which I have to say would be a welcome surprise
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1519716)   #8
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if I were Panther and I was gonna pick an indy only driver and money wasn't a factor, I'd pick Buddy Lazier over Enge, and that probably will be the case if the Byrds help with funding again this year.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1519718)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I would, too, dr. disque....

Of course, we don't know "who" was at the auction the other day...

Remember that Pat Patrick met with Panther back in December, but Panther's price was too high....

The scuttlebutt after that meeting was that Pat Patrick and the Byrds might attend the auction and buy up gear to go racing at a much cheaper price....

If that would be the case, my guess is that Lazier would get the ride with that group....

Final Note:

Team Owner mentioned the other day that Enge was talking with Panther and that the talks were getting serious...he drove most of the season for them last year (except when he was hurt) and they know him as well as they know Buddy....

Either way, it would be interesting...

Old 10 Feb 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1519925)   #10
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 10 Feb 2006, 21:10 (Ref:1519927)   #11
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great -- Thanks for the post --- good to see Meira get this ride. He proved his worth last year with some excellent runs
Old 10 Feb 2006, 22:47 (Ref:1519992)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the post Team Owner - I am happy for Vitor and anxious to see what he can do with Panther.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 00:11 (Ref:1520045)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
My guess.. a lot!!!

Panther's people are top notch...and despite the fact that they do not have the budgets ofteams like penske, AGR, Rahal-Letterman, and Ganassi, they are always in the hunt....

I will add that if it WERE dollar-to-dollar in budgets, Panther's personnel would be the difference....

Look at what they did with an inferior engine over the past couple of years....they were strong, yet didn't have any breaks...

call it racing luck, or whatever....

Make no mistake about it...if Scott Sharp doesn't clip Buddy Lazier's front wing last May, Buddy could have has his face on the Borg-Warner Trophy from last year's 500....

Scheckter was on rails at Texas....

Enge got a cheap penalty (IMO) when he was the best Mover of the race at Richmond....

At Kentucky last August, Sheckter races through the filed in the first 20 laps as though the cars in front of him were in a diferent class....and if there wasn't a miscommunication in the pits that caused the fire in 2004, he had the field covered.

Hornish at Pike's Peak in 2003....IIRC, with the "Pre-Chevy-Worth" engine, was dominating the field with a powerplant that wasn't even in the ballpark with Toyota and Honda at the time...

I could go on and on....

I'm glad Vitor is with panther...and I hope they have a great year...winning will bring sponsors...and that crew deserves it...

Old 11 Feb 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1520210)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yep Great to see Vitor getting a good ride with a good team
Old 15 Feb 2006, 07:57 (Ref:1523149)   #15
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Great to see that Panther are commiting to a full 06 programme.

Good Luck to Vitor Meira
Old 15 Feb 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1523191)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto!!