Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 26 Mar 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2660472)   #76
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Certainly the inner bank at Abbey has gone. Abbey to Club infield has a pitwall in concrete now, all the way down...
The Club 'peephole' in the fence has gone.
Start Finish grandstands have moved back level with the toilet blocks, and a 30-40 foot gravel trap installed.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2661620)   #77
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, id imagine the club banking etc will be rebuilt. Having bought general admission tickets for the f1 this season one of the big selling points is more spectator banking around the track.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2662228)   #78
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Just a thought, id imagine the club banking etc will be rebuilt. Having bought general admission tickets for the f1 this season one of the big selling points is more spectator banking around the track.
Not sure they will, since that area will be prime grandstand territory when the new pits have been built.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 22:19 (Ref:2662232)   #79
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drove around the perimeter road today and have to agree with Tim that a lot of photo locations have gone. If Silverstone upgrade the fences at Luffield terrace, Stow and erect a fence at Vale then all will be lost. Until then at least the Bridge GP circuit has several locations left.

Brooklands looks very odd with track, a mud (soon to be grass) strip and then acres of tarmac.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2662247)   #80
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Certainly the inner bank at Abbey has gone. Abbey to Club infield has a pitwall in concrete now, all the way down...
The Club 'peephole' in the fence has gone.
Start Finish grandstands have moved back level with the toilet blocks, and a 30-40 foot gravel trap installed.
So if you buy a grandstand ticket does it now come with a free pair of binoculars?

I guess for a wet race if they had some large screen set up in the carparks the spectators could just stay in their dry cars - something like a drive-in movie theatre (as our North American cousins might remember them.)

You know I really donlt mind people trashing circuits for F1 and MotoGP since I am most unlikely to attend those meetings in person but if they screw up the rest of the events I rather suspect that the more avid spectators just won't go to the facility. Presumably the economic model says that does not matter.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2662279)   #81
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
Well based on a overhead artists impression I've seen, it looks to me that it won't be rebuilt in its entirety. The fencing should have been pushed back a bit, which about halfway around Clubs run-off area leaves very little space between the fence and an access road behind. So in other words, what will be left of Clubs spectator banking will now be split into 2 smaller sections with a gap in between.

To be honest unless they provide an alternate route through Club for Race Cars like what we had before its "squaring off", then a lot of Clubs attraction will already have been lost anyway.

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 28 Mar 2010 at 23:55.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2662288)   #82
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, I hope Silverstone haven't sold any tickets for these seats yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/

Talk about a Binocularfest, now the circuits been "diverted" you're gonna need Patrick Moore's Telescope to see anything from here.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 01:56 (Ref:2662339)   #83
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Based on the photos and some of the comments about the expanse of tarmac I'm beginning to wonder of Silverstone decided to copy and extend an idea from Donington Park ...

As Google shows Donington re-created a smaller version of the track on the fully tarmac covered parking area of the Sunday Market site. It seems that Silverstone may have taken that idea and scaled it up a bit.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 02:01 (Ref:2662342)   #84
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool View Post
By the way, I hope Silverstone haven't sold any tickets for these seats yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/

Talk about a Binocularfest, now the circuits been "diverted" you're gonna need Patrick Moore's Telescope to see anything from here.
Nah. That oddly placed square of tarmac would make a perfect location for a big screen to relay selected images so that the poor plebs sitting on the open seating don't have to crick their necks and get in each other's way to see the action.

I suppose with cars you would have half a chance of spotting one in the distance. Bikes, on the other hand, I'm not so sure.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2664794)   #85
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like 1 of my fave spots is left - so far http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/

Usually sit in the grandstand to the right, offers a good photography spot
Old 1 Apr 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2664961)   #86
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post
Looks like 1 of my fave spots is left - so far http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/

Usually sit in the grandstand to the right, offers a good photography spot
You're obviously not a very demanding person.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2665016)   #87
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly have no desire to go at all. I did take my son three years ago for quali but the cost plus the terrible view mean no more for me. F1 simply isn't a spectator sport anymore so i watch it on telly and spend my money at national and club meetings.
When I think back to the views I enjoyed at Silverstone and Brands in the seventies it makes me very nostalgic.
Old 2 Apr 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2665408)   #88
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You're obviously not a very demanding person.
Either that or I have a good lens

With MotoGP there is a far greater chance of stuff flying through the air in an accident so its either injured spectators or psychiatric hospital fencing all around
Old 2 Apr 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2665474)   #89
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
When I think back to the views I enjoyed at Silverstone and Brands in the seventies it makes me very nostalgic.
You could also walk through the pits taking photographs and camp next to the circuit at Abbey.
At least some us are old enough to have those memories Paddy.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2666177)   #90
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I remember walking onto the tarmac to applaud Graham Hill's last race win in the BT34, at Abbey. A ditch, and the 'safety railing' was all there was between us, and the cars.

I do worry about what 'public' viewing is going to be like when all the fences go back up!
Old 3 Apr 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2666178)   #91
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Yakuncha? I don't care WHAT lens you have, that is one DULL place to watch racing from...
Old 4 Apr 2010, 07:05 (Ref:2666273)   #92
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Yakuncha? I don't care WHAT lens you have, that is one DULL place to watch racing from...
Each to their own. What one person finds dull, another really loves. I quite like sitting at Vale.

Perhaps you might be more constructive and suggest some other secret spot you have in mind?
Old 4 Apr 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2666636)   #93
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
Perhaps you might be more constructive and suggest some other secret spot you have in mind?
If he did that, it wouldn't be secret anymore.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2666717)   #94
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoops!

Posted on Twitter...that run-off looks a bit bumpy...
Old 4 Apr 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2666730)   #95
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see the GP circuit has been used for track days already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qnDNK-iRZU .
Ridiculous amount of tarmac/gravel all round and new pit wall looks weird with no garages!
Old 4 Apr 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2666748)   #96
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If he did that, it wouldn't be secret anymore.
Good point, well made!
Old 4 Apr 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2666775)   #97
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It always amazes me how Bernie puts his trust in his friend Mr Tilke to build all these fancy circuits with oceans of gravel traps etc. Whilst at the same time Bernie is trying everything to get more Street circuits on to the calender. Yes folks, that's street circuits complete with Concrete Walls and minimal run-off areas, where's the logic in that?
I never even thought of it like that - and its a good point!

Still, we all know he's a little muddled in the head.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 03:26 (Ref:2666894)   #98
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Totally changed the character of this section, complete vandalism IMO...

http://www.superleagueformula.com/va...UN_SR-4030.jpg
Old 5 Apr 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2666945)   #99
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Dunno I agree actually as that would have saved me a few quid in 2008 and the Lightweight E-Type that went off there as well.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:03 (Ref:2666947)   #100
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
You could also walk through the pits taking photographs and camp next to the circuit at Abbey.
At least some us are old enough to have those memories Paddy.
I used to be there all weekend with my parents and my brother. In the evening after practice we'd wander through the pits watching the mechanics working. Fantastic. At least in those days Bernie was only in charge of one team and not the lot.