Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1279034)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh
It's Porsche and Penske! Go look at http://www.americanlemans.com .... and it is in LMP2
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1279050)   #52
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow...this is terrific news!

But it gets the gears turning, too. For instance, which engine will they use? Their 3.8 flat-6 gets what, 500 hp in Grand Am? Wouldn't that engine be legal in ALMS P2? With 500 hp available to push 750 kg, they might just be in a position to go for overall honours.

And speaking of Grand Am, I wonder what will be their reaction? Does this mean GA will drop the P-motor as its benchmark, opening the way for a badly needed boost in power for the DP cars? I almost hope so!

It's all good!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1279060)   #53
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless
Wow...this is terrific news!

But it gets the gears turning, too. For instance, which engine will they use? Their 3.8 flat-6 gets what, 500 hp in Grand Am? Wouldn't that engine be legal in ALMS P2? With 500 hp available to push 750 kg, they might just be in a position to go for overall honours.

And speaking of Grand Am, I wonder what will be their reaction? Does this mean GA will drop the P-motor as its benchmark, opening the way for a badly needed boost in power for the DP cars? I almost hope so!

It's all good!
DSC spoke to Norbert Singer at Spa who has been involved as a consultant on the aerodynamics for the project. He said the car would be powered by a "brand new engine". No details on the spec though.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1279109)   #54
Zagato
Rookie

Zagato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche LMP2

Perhaps we should be reading between the lines of this announcement. The ALMS needs a boost and this is huge but I can not see Porsche not racing in Europe particularly with the strength of LMP2 in the LMES and the prospect of Le Mans entries. I would be very surprised not to see a European announcement in the near future, remember Porsche are not unknown for having two exclusive works teams, remember Gulf 917 and who should then appear but the Team Austria! A European LMP2 is I suspect a cetainty and possibly its Europe that will see a LMP1 if it happens
Old 15 Apr 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1279117)   #55
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We know about the car, but Porsche linking up with Penske came as a massive shock. This is fantastic news.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1279185)   #56
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only hope that Penske drops his IRL progrma, and brings Helio, and Sam over for some real racing. And don't put it past Rog to bring a couple a American racers into the fold. A up and comer will be big here.

Great news for ALMS too. What a growth streak they are on.

As for you Europe team...now we know why Freisinger (sp) are taking a break. Or we can only hope this is why they are taking this year off. I know someone already mentioned this in another thread, but I hope it is true.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1279280)   #57
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Just for fun, and to feed rumours : the ACO is reporting the news on its website, and ask at the end of the report, "how long to wait before the next great stunning news ?"... Nissan, anyone ?

Last edited by Fab; 15 Apr 2005 at 23:53.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:00 (Ref:1279345)   #58
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoa, talk about strapping a rocket to the back of sportscar racing! Porsche back in motorsport and only one step away from the big class... so far. Sportscars seem to be bouncing from one great piece of news to another, I love it.

This is excellent news, I can't help but worry for some of the other LMP2 chassis guys though, once that customer Porsche gets online their sales will be hit hard I bet.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1279352)   #59
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes I agree, at the moment sportscar racing is thriving, and has been really since 2001 onwards, sure manufacturers have packed up and gone home, but new ones have joined the scene and the main stays of sportscar racing have remained, people like Lister and Porsche. We have so many works teams now, more than I can ever remember, but then ive only been watching sportscar racing seriously since 1999. Still, things everywhere are looking good right now, with the possible exception of the ALMS grid numbers, only 24 for this weekend, but when u look at the grid there it oozes quality in every class, hopefully that class will stay and in the next year or so grids can begin to grow once again, 32-36 car grids are a realistic target for the 2006 season in the ALMS I feel.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1279355)   #60
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Still, things everywhere are looking good right now, with the possible exception of the ALMS grid numbers, only 24 for this weekend, but when u look at the grid there it oozes quality in every class,
I have to agree with this statement. I think the ALMS assembly this weekend would easily outqualify the LMES in P2 and the GT classes. Heck, I'd go far as to suggest that in GT2, the ALMS teams would take the first 5-6 places in a combined grid.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 01:47 (Ref:1279359)   #61
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats something myself and u would disagree on Fogelhund, but this is a topic for another thread.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1279515)   #62
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news. The Penske link is a great boast for the series.
Can't wait to hear who will run the car in Europe, if anyone, as all the press seems to point towards the money coming from Porsche USA, is that correct?

Will we see the return to Le Mans of the dark blue Penske cars in 06?. If only daytona would see the light......
Old 16 Apr 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1279553)   #63
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Open or closed top???
Old 16 Apr 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1279560)   #64
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
This is brilliant news for the series ..... both Porsche and Penske will attract massive interest .
From what I belive Nissan are pulling out of IRL , and Toyota too
Old 16 Apr 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1279608)   #65
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
This is brilliant news for the series ..... both Porsche and Penske will attract massive interest .
From what I belive Nissan are pulling out of IRL , and Toyota too

Nissan (Infiniti) pulled out at the end of 2002....

You might be thinking of Honda???

Wonder where both could use those 3.0L V-8s they have built for that Series if they do pull out...after all, they would just be collecting dust....

I could make a suggestion....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Apr 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1280009)   #66
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
This is just to precise that Daniel Possenot (Le Mans race director) saw the Porsche last week to homologate the car regarding ACO's specs, and said that it was "a very serious job, as always by Porsche"...
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1280104)   #67
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
did you also have lunch with Daniel Poissenot, Fab ?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1280122)   #68
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
did you also have lunch with Daniel Poissenot, Fab ?
Er... should I answer ?
Old 17 Apr 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1280699)   #69
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/4449441.stm

i've been away on holiday, i come back to this great news...and i got a picture used by the bbc from my first year at le mans!

Last edited by kdr; 17 Apr 2005 at 21:37.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1280704)   #70
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Nissan (Infiniti) pulled out at the end of 2002....

You might be thinking of Honda???

Wonder where both could use those 3.0L V-8s they have built for that Series if they do pull out...after all, they would just be collecting dust....

I could make a suggestion....
Please, oh prety please, Tim make that suggestion.
I know you have some contacts,
Old 18 Apr 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1281268)   #71
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They could bundle one of the engines into my dad's Mondeo - he's been after "tinkering" with it for a while, he was never satisfied with it's lack of grunt

Last edited by TheNewBob; 18 Apr 2005 at 14:17.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1282427)   #72
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Lmsr.net reporting that the new Porsche prototype has been testing. I don't suppose there are any photos circulating..?
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1282507)   #73
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Lmsr.net reporting that the new Porsche prototype has been testing. I don't suppose there are any photos circulating..?
If what I heard is true, some of the package has been tested for a very long time.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1282529)   #74
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wouldn't surprise me. They probs still have parts from their last cancelled effort they can use and improve upon.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1283076)   #75
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
LMSR are saying that a big announcment is due from Joest. I wonder if this is relating to racing the LMP Porsche in Europe?