Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Dec 2002, 21:18 (Ref:441383)   #1
String
Rookie

String should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know anything about a new european Sportscar championship?

I understand that the FIA Sportscar championship is a dead duck. and that someone somewhere mentioned to me (can't remember who) that there was a potential European Sportscar championship being set up for 2003! I'd like to know how true this is?:confused:
Old 2 Dec 2002, 22:19 (Ref:441414)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Anyone know anything about a new european Sportscar championship?

Quote:
Originally posted by String
I understand that the FIA Sportscar championship is a dead duck. and that someone somewhere mentioned to me (can't remember who) that there was a potential European Sportscar championship being set up for 2003! I'd like to know how true this is?:confused:
The FIA SCC has been taken over by International Sportscar Ltd, who boss is Stephane Ratel the boss of the FIA GT championship, it is belived that the FIA GT and SCC may merge to form somesort ELMS in 2004, when the new sportscar rules come into force, more details can be found over at the Sportscar board http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=30489
Old 2 Dec 2002, 22:45 (Ref:441428)   #3
String
Rookie

Thanks rd, looks interesting for 2004, so whats on the cards for 2003?
Old 4 Dec 2002, 01:17 (Ref:442255)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well Ratel and the part owners have stated that there is no intention to merge the championships, although thats the offical line. Personally Id like to see some kind of ELMS series like in 2001, as long as its not named the ELMS.

The ALMS dominates the sports car field too much as it is at the moment and could do with some competition, lets just hope the name of the championship - if it happens is read FIA not IMSA.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 04:46 (Ref:442300)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Competition just dilutes an allready weak sportscar industry
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:16 (Ref:442872)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Competiton? There would be no more competition than there is now if it happens all that would simply happen is the FIA GT and FIA SCC would merge into one European championship thereofre if anything strenghing the sportscar industry, when it needs it the most.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:36 (Ref:442890)   #7
String
Rookie

I heard today about Ratel doing something along those lines, and I agree with the ELMS, great idea, but all I can think of is Elm trees, and if there was to be lots of entrys from Holland (wait for it!) it would be known as Dutch Elm disease (Ha)
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:38 (Ref:442893)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
lol, as long as its nothing to do with the ALMS ive no problem with it, my only concern is IMSA and the ALMS taking over sports cars completly.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 23:11 (Ref:442929)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Why so down on the ALMS?

The series has great cars and great racing in the States.

Furthermore they do more to make the races fan-friendly than any other series in any racing discipline I've ever experienced.

In my view the very last thing we need is series competing for the same territory. In part that's what killed ELMS and seriously wounded FIASCC. There are not enough cars and not enough teams and drivers with budget to sustain it in Europe. We need one, well run series, or even a small number of significant 'events' to kick-start endurance racing this side of The Pond. Personally I don't care who does it just so long as they do it soon.

I for one find it ludicrous that there wasn't a single opportunity to watch a contemporary sports prototype race in the UK in 2002. What a disgrace for a nation with such strong representation at all levels of the sport from chassis builders, team owners and drivers.

Lets hope we can do better in 2003!
Old 4 Dec 2002, 23:40 (Ref:442949)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
The series has great cars and great racing in the States.
Sure enough. Too bad we're not in the States!

There is one series in Europe that works - the FIA GT. You can't get around that; it won't be broken up just like that. That's why I don't see a mixed GT/proto series happening over here. FIA won't give up this series; and there is no need to. There will hopefully be joint (or as joint as they get) rules for FIA and ACO as of 2004. Let's have a GT and a prototype series as they are now, and two or three mixed longer-distance events (1000k), maybe as direct Le Mans qualifiers.

The ACO itself (was it M. Cosson or M. Poissenot) says they aren't so keen on running a series themselves. So, let SRO and ISL do their thing, with Le Mans regs. In other words, let common sense prevail.

Oh whatever. I just hope the FIASCC will come to its feet again, and turn into a half-decent Championship, because it may be the only opportunity outside Le Mans to see prototypes in action without having to travel to Florida.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 01:09 (Ref:443000)   #11
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMSA/ALMS taking over world wide sportscar would be good. We need one finalised world-wide rules package
Old 5 Dec 2002, 01:23 (Ref:443006)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Im not down on the ALMS but I just dont want them to dominate the sports car racing scene. The ALMS dosent look so strong for next year either - compared to 2002 and 2001 i mean with no factory Audis and Caddilac pulling out and Panoz really only entering the Panoz o7 as a token just to keep the LMP900 category alive.

In GTS its strong but not great Konrad are only entering 1 Saleen Prodrive are entering 2 cars and 2 Corvettes oh and 2 AVR Vipers but they are slow - slower than some of the GT class cars. In the GT class its business as usual though along with 2 JMB Ferrari 360 modenas.

For me the GT class cars in the FIA GT series is stronger, u have the Saleens there the Ferraris the Vipers and the Listers. In the NGT class the competion is also as strong as it is in the GT class of the ALMS I think with Freisinger, JMB, RWS and Veloxq all there.

Personally Id love to see a merger of the FIA and IMSA to form one championship as long as neither of the 2 Championships had control over the series. Thats just my opinion though - for what its worth.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 5 Dec 2002 at 01:27.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 10:43 (Ref:443142)   #13
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
i mean with no factory Audis and Caddilac pulling out and Panoz really only entering the Panoz o7 as a token just to keep the LMP900 category alive.
No problem! you will see two Joest Audi, two Champion Audi, two Panoz factory cars, one Doran Dallara, one R&S and three MG fighting for the victory...

Oh whatever this is not an ALMS thread. I just hope the FIASCC will come to it's feet again. Europe needs a decent prototype championship and the fans deserve it.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 11:07 (Ref:443159)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
IMSA/ALMS taking over world wide sportscar would be good. We need one finalised world-wide rules package
Is that "IMSA and ALMS", or "IMSA or ALMS"?
Don't forget, IMSA is merely a puppet of the Evil ACO! (at least that's what some IMSA fans keep saying)
Old 5 Dec 2002, 16:34 (Ref:443433)   #15
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Anyone know anything about a new european Sportscar championship?

Quote:
This is an Italian based series due to support the Euro F3000.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 16:56 (Ref:443448)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally posted by SFonseca
No problem! you will see two Joest Audi, two Champion Audi, two Panoz factory cars, one Doran Dallara, one R&S and three MG fighting for the victory...

Oh whatever this is not an ALMS thread. I just hope the FIASCC will come to it's feet again. Europe needs a decent prototype championship and the fans deserve it.
The championship still wont be as strong as this year Privateer Audis are ok but only 2 panozs and the Doran Dallara and the one R&S arent as strong a line up in the LMP000 class in 2002.

The MGs I belive wont challenge for outright wins still either. They will be there challenging for podiums yes but not wins I dont think and also I doubt whether they will last in long events such as Sebring, Petit le Mans and Le Mans reliabilty isnt a strong suit of the EX257's.

As for Europe needing a good Prototype championship I agree completly. To further strenghten it though I think if the FIA GT and FIA SCC did merge it would make both the FIA GT and FIA SCC grids immeditaly stronger, and would attract lots of more tv coverage.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 5 Dec 2002 at 16:58.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 17:49 (Ref:443489)   #17
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Quote:
The championship still wont be as strong as this
This is not an ALMS thread but give me reason for your sentence.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 19:25 (Ref:443582)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I was saying if u look that even with Privateer Audis the ALMS wont be as strong as it has been this year or last year.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 20:20 (Ref:443627)   #19
String
Rookie

Thanks for the info with the italian based series. But dose that involve stepping outside italy or not? They must do to be called a euro championship?
Old 6 Dec 2002, 10:02 (Ref:444003)   #20
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the info with the italian based series. But dose that involve stepping outside italy or not? They must do to be called a euro championship?
Yes,the EuroF3000 went to several places outside Italy including Donington Park,so I guess a support progam would follow the same schedule.Also the fabulous Cagliari circuit in Sardinia,had 100,000 spectators for its first race!
Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:09 (Ref:444268)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I dunno Saleen, what did we have in 02' for most of the races. 3 Audis and 2 LMP01's....

In the last few events, we also had the Caddy's, but that was just a few events.

In 03' we get the 3 Audi's again, maybe 4 {Let's wait and see what Champion has up their sleeve} or even 5 at a couple of events (Sebring and PLM{?}). We get the R&S C, maybe two competitive cars that are every bit the car, and perhaps more then the Panoz was. Rumours circulate that the LMP01 isn't as dead as originally thought, Brab's is considering running with Panoz despite the offer to release him if he can find a better ride, but won't drive in the LMP07.

Dyson's MG's will be closer in speed likely then they were in 02'. Of course we have to see how the penalties actually affect cars, but many are suggesting they will affect the 675's less then the 900's, and that will weigh in favour of the MG's.

The Dallara is a bit of a mystery as of yet, it hasn't competed against the big boys for a bit, and really wasn't as quick as we had hoped at Sebring last year anyway. Of all the teams, I suspect the change in engine regulations will affect them the most, as Judd will likely have the lowest budget to remap the engine and get it sorted.

Then there is Fields's MG, and the Reynard 675 {will it do the season or just a couple of races}.

Add to the list, the unknowns, the Lister LMP, the Dome NA spec, and we could have a very interesting year in 03'.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:17 (Ref:444276)   #22
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Rumours circulate that the LMP01 isn't as dead as originally thought, Brab's is considering running with Panoz despite the offer to release him if he can find a better ride, but won't drive in the LMP07.
Sorry, Are you saying that Brab's is considering running with Panoz Motorsport, again???
Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:18 (Ref:444278)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Erm no, the Caddilacs were in the ALMS all season long. And dont forget Panoz arent developing a new car just a 2001 model which didnt work first time around and now they are trying to make a sucess of in 2003.

In 2004 Panoz arent even entering the LMP900 class, they will be entering one of their own cars in the GT class.
Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:20 (Ref:444281)   #24
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
Quote:
In 2004 Panoz arent even entering the LMP900 class, they will be entering one of their own cars in the GT class.
GT class?? Wrong!! GTS Class....
Old 6 Dec 2002, 15:29 (Ref:444290)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
No I was reading a while back and Im sure Don Panoz said GT class.