Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:04 (Ref:574018)   #1
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher's Family Problems

P1 and P2 despite some horrible news..All credit to both Michael and Ralf..

The mother of Formula One drivers Michael and Ralf Schumacher is in a coma, according to German daily Bild Zeitung, citing younger brother Ralf. Elisabeth Schumacher, 55, fell at home last Saturday and had to undergo an emergency operation in Cologne (ouest).

"Her condition is certainly stable but we're still very worried about her," Ralf Schumacher was reported as saying to the newspaper from Imola, where on Sunday the fourth race of the world championship will be held.

"Of course, in the circumstances we've been wondering if we should be racing at all," added Ralf. "But we are in permanent contact with the doctors."

The brothers visited their mother's bedside after testing for Williams and Ferrari respectively last week and they flew directly from the hospital to Imola for this weekend's San Marino Grand Prix.

"This is a very private thing," a close friend said. "She has been in hospital since last week. Michael and Ralf are in constant contact with their father and the doctors."

There is no further news on her current condition, but the two drivers are understood to be deeply concerned about the situation. Insiders have insisted Michael, who openly showed his emotions at the 2001 Italian Grand Prix immediately after September 11 and almost retired as a result of the terrorist attacks in New York, is still concentrating hard on this weekend's race.

The German driver is desperate to get Ferrari's championship bid back on course at Imola, but it is understood that he has used his mobile phone to call doctors as soon as each of the practice and qualifying sessions have finished.

From F1-Live.com
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:09 (Ref:574022)   #2
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here's hoping for a safe race for the pair of them - it would be hard concentrating for two hours with this sort of thing in the back of their heads.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:10 (Ref:574024)   #3
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumachers' mother in a coma

I can't imagine how they did so well in qualifying. From Atlas F1:

Saturday April 19th, 2003

The mother of World Champion Michael Schumacher and Williams-BMW driver Ralf Schumacher is in a coma after suffering a fall at her home in Germany last Saturday.

The Schumacher family were keen to keep the situation quiet but a spokesperson for Ferrari-driving Michael confirmed the news after his younger brother Ralf Schumacher told German daily newspaper, Bild Zeitung.

"Her condition is certainly stable," said Ralf. "But we're still very worried about her."

The two brothers, who both went to their mother's bedside at a Cologne hospital after testing last week, flew directly from there to Imola for this weekend's San Marino Grand Prix. A person close to the Schumachers said: "This is a very private thing. She has been in hospital since last week. Michael and Ralf are in constant contact with their father and the doctors."

Their mother, Elizabeth, is 55 and remains in a coma. There is no further news on her current condition, but the two drivers are understood to be deeply concerned about the situation. However, insiders have insisted Michael and Ralf are still concentrating hard on this weekend's race.

Ferrari's Schumacher has used his mobile phone to call doctors as soon as each of the practice and qualifying sessions have finished.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:12 (Ref:574027)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
agreed
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:13 (Ref:574028)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holy ****, that is terrible... Ralf is really going through some **** at the moment ( and Michael now). I really hope she gets better. They have done her proud today anyway. Frontrow.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:22 (Ref:574036)   #6
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It speaks volumes about these two's ability to concentrate. To be able to block out something like that must be extremely difficult. Everyone would have understood if they both struggled today, but they did the exact opposite. Heres hoping for a shumi 1-2 tomorrow.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 13:41 (Ref:574055)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with everything that has been posted so far. Both Michael adn Ralf were fantastic in qualifying, showing that they've been able to ride off the various criticisms they have recieved so far, and to have this to come to terms with as well really makes it even more impressive. I sincerely hope Mrs Schumacher makes a quick recovery.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 14:40 (Ref:574086)   #8
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe they can keep their minds on the job, let alone qualify 1-2.....good on them. I think that deserves some respect for once.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 15:17 (Ref:574116)   #9
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Courtesy Autosport

After locking out the front row for tomorrow's San Marino Grand Prix, both Michael and Ralf Schumacher left Imola circuit on Saturday to fly to Cologne Hospital to be at the bedside of their seriously ill mother.

The Schumachers' mother, Elizabeth, is understood to be in a coma. After declining to answer a question in the post-qualifying press conference about her illness, Michael left with brother Ralf and their respective wives Corinna and Cora for Cologne.

Ferrari's technical director Ross Brawn commented briefly on the situation: "Michael is deeply upset. We will give him space to come to terms with what is happening."

Both Schumachers are expected back at Imola in time for tomorrow's race.

Doesent look good unfortunately, but all the best to the Schumachers.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 19:01 (Ref:574261)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Hope everything turns out ok.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 19:03 (Ref:574263)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
When you consider that, what they managed to do in qualifying is just phenomenal.

My thoughts are with them, their mother and the rest of their family - it can't be easy for Michael and Ralf trying to concentrate on F1 with that in the back of their minds.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 19 Apr 2003, 19:04 (Ref:574264)   #12
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
every inch professionals, you've gotta take your hat off to them; i would have probably fallen apart by now.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 19 Apr 2003, 20:31 (Ref:574317)   #13
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard about that. Poor woman.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 20:40 (Ref:574326)   #14
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This sort of stuff bings everything into perspective - at the end of the day F1 is only a sport - but family ....

Hope the Schumachers have a good weekend in every sense.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 21:14 (Ref:574343)   #15
Prost!
Rookie

Prost! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they can tune it all out for the race. F1 is a dangerous enough game with or without a crisis weighing heavily on one's mind.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 21:26 (Ref:574350)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
[B]Courtesy Autosport

Both Schumachers are expected back at Imola in time for tomorrow's race.
There are untold benefits to be had from the new rules...
Old 19 Apr 2003, 22:22 (Ref:574372)   #17
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor family I hope everythign turns out ok, the fact that they could concentrate is amazing
Old 19 Apr 2003, 22:53 (Ref:574398)   #18
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elizabeth Schumacher has given us her two sons.

We might, perhaps, give her our thoughts and prayers.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 23:31 (Ref:574423)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We might like or not like Michael and Ralf, but I sure don't envy them right now. Having to see their mom in coma...
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:01 (Ref:574615)   #20
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to german tv she died this morning
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:14 (Ref:574629)   #21
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, I too have heard that she past away last night. Apparently the time was about midnight, so I guess both Ralf and Michael didnt get much sleep. Hopefully they'll both get through the race ok.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:23 (Ref:574635)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It's at F1-Live; their mother passed away.
My condolences to them both.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:37 (Ref:574648)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This really is very sad news for the Schumacher boys.

My condolences to them and the rest of the Schumacher family. I for one, would not critise either of them if they could'nt race.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:38 (Ref:574649)   #24
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
****!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 09:39 (Ref:574650)   #25
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my condolences to family and friends, i really hope that both get well through the race, no one will blame them for a bad position, i just hope for them that they don´t crash