Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2004, 07:45 (Ref:1117755)   #26
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i played on the Nordschliefe on Project Gotham Racing 2 for the xbox, this is an amazing track, i love the last corner before the straight playing with the throttle (well you are on PGR2) and then when your on the straight hurtling down there at mind boggling speeds of 220+ in an enzo ferrari or a TVR speed 12, but the Nordschliefe has my favorite corner of all time is fuchsrohre, what a corner ... anyway i dont know if PGR2 is very good but it has all the graffity on the track and very detailed and not to mention HOURS of fun.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 08:08 (Ref:1117763)   #27
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PGR2 version of the Ring is preatty innacurate, believe me (too wide and too fast). Then again, it's for the console market (yes I know, it seems GT4 will have an accurate Ring, but with those physics )
Old 7 Oct 2004, 09:43 (Ref:1117825)   #28
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I remember it being an edition near Le Mans because we had the edition when we popped in to Nurburgring on the way back from Le Mans (its on the way ). I can confirm that it isn't suitable for current F1. Although it would be amazing.
its on the way back from le mans...is that what you told the folks back home?!
Old 7 Oct 2004, 11:23 (Ref:1117893)   #29
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
There is a video called "In Car 956." It is a Porsche 956 driven by Derek Bell circa 1981 or 2 at all of the top circuits: Spa, Le Mans (Mulsanne with no chicane!), Silverstone, Kyalami, etc. The filming is done at speed and in fact Bell sets the second fastest lap ever (up to that time) at the 'Ring during the filming.

Let me tell you - it is as astonishing a piece of racing film as you will ever see! Absolutely breathtaking footage everywhere and particularly the Nordschliefe!

Now this this is in a pretty serious ground effects type of car and even then everyone realized that the cars were just too fast for the track. But what a ride. The video is still available and well worth the $20.00.
A fantastic watch that one. The Le Mans laps and the 'Ring lap are absolutely priceless pieces of footage. I was aghast at the Mulsanne footage and still am every time I watch it. Awesome, spell-binding.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 Oct 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1117952)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you haven't seen "In-Car 956" - it is an absolute must. It was the first video I ever bought. Still have it.
Old 7 Oct 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1118026)   #31
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
"In Car 956" is awesome! I pop it in, crank up the stereo and sit on the floor so the telly is at eye level.

The lap of the 'Ring is just mind boggling. It is as close as you can get to the sensation of actually driving a racing car (not that I ever came close to driving a 956!!).

The lap of LeMans is equally outrageous. My Sweetie said that when she really watched the lap of the 'Ring, she starts to get a bit motion sick. It is a shame that it was filmed before IMAX - now that would be awesome.

Still the best in-car footage I have ever seen. Derek Bell narrates the lap of the 'Ring as a voice over, but at all of the other tracks he does the narration as he is driving!

Wonder if the DVD has any additional "lost" features?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Oct 2004, 10:31 (Ref:1118899)   #32
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well guys...
i watched about 60% of that 'Ruf porche' vidio (too busy to download it all)and must say it's the BEST motorsports of any kind i've experienced for YEARS!!!!
Man,how sad is that???Formula 1 (or should it be called formula none ?) doesn't give the slightest sense of reality.Yes the driving/noises in the ruf vidio were crude but couldn't you just imagine yourself in the car?

Thanks everyone-you'all have made my week!.I'll be seriously looking into that 'incar 956' vidio!
Old 8 Oct 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1118953)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Porsche lap is great. If I could chose any marque to drive around the Nurburgring in it would definitely be the Porsche.
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC

Formula 1 (or should it be called formula none ?) doesn't give the slightest sense of reality.Yes the driving/noises in the ruf vidio were crude but couldn't you just imagine yourself in the car?
Is that part of the point of F1. It is so difficult to imagine yourself in it. It is so much more than anything most of us have experienced. A whole higher level.

And this brings me back to an original point of the thread. A lap in an F1 car. That would blow anyone's mind I am sure. I think it is quite possible. The surface isn't great, but it isn't that bad. There would be many comprimises with the car. Not only the surface, but also the range of corners and gradients.

True it isn't acceptable safety wise, but we are fantasy here.

I think it would be amazing. I think it would take a long time to get to near the ultimate lap. Drivers would have to be inch perfect all the time and that would take time to build up speed. Anthony Davidson said as much in the article in Autosport.

It would be amazing to see an F1 car through some of those corners. Disappearing into the trees. The sound as you here it from such a distance. That would be magic.
Old 8 Oct 2004, 11:28 (Ref:1118957)   #34
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we start a petition? It would be a great sight - and sound.

Glad you liked the video RWC - if you can bear the wait there's another with outside footage here...

LAP 2

(shouldn't think the tyres lasted more than two laps)
Old 8 Oct 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1119217)   #35
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the best place to watch a modern f1 car at the ring would be from the karussel up until the main straight. you have pretty much every kind of corner conceived plus the pflanzgarten to catch you out.
it really is one hell of a track though isn't it
Old 8 Oct 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1119357)   #36
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks stefan-downloading it now!
Old 8 Oct 2004, 23:08 (Ref:1119368)   #37
acf8181
Racer

acf8181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich R
i think the best place to watch a modern f1 car at the ring would be from the karussel up until the main straight. you have pretty much every kind of corner conceived plus the pflanzgarten to catch you out.
it really is one hell of a track though isn't it
the whole of the 'ring would be a good place...flugplatz, schweidenkreuz, fuchsrore, ex-muhle, sooo many good corners.
Old 9 Oct 2004, 00:22 (Ref:1119414)   #38
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought GPL back in '98 but I found it impossible to drive without a wheel so I tossed it aside. Now I just started driving with my RC car transmitter with USB adapter.

I just did my first partial laps on the ring and it's awesome... I have yet to complete a lap but crashes prevent me to do so(computer crashes that is). I've made it just past the bridge at the end of the long straight and that's it. I'm running it on a P4 2.66GHz 1024ram with XP, CPU speed patch and direct3d patch but it just won't run for very long. I did complete 5 laps at Monza twice, with a 1.33 as a result with unchanged set-up.

I'm now officially pro banning all electronics and wings in F1.

Hopefully I get it to run properly so I'm able to get some practice in. Maybe I'll catch some of the others here for a race some day!
Old 9 Oct 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1119641)   #39
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by acf8181
it doesn't need wideing...theres very few narrow places now, most is as wide as silverstone.
Have you driven on both?? Because the widths are completly different, there are only a few places that the ring gets close to the width of Silverstone, the main straight being about the only one. The run through Hatzenbach and then from Armberg to Bergwerk are particularly narrow.

Unfortunatly I don't have any in-car stuff from Silverstone but here are a couple of Nuerburgring laps.

Clear lap
Range of Traffic

(lots of other circuit stuff HERE)

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 9 Oct 2004, 13:57 (Ref:1119722)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinS

Hopefully I get it to run properly so I'm able to get some practice in. Maybe I'll catch some of the others here for a race some day!

Kevin, you do realise that we run a GPL online league here, don't you? the TTFRL (Ten Tenths Friendly Racing League - see my sig). We race every other Tuesday night - guess where we* are next Tuesday........

(*sadly not me though - bloody meetings!)
Old 10 Oct 2004, 13:14 (Ref:1120296)   #41
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After I get the game fixed I'm going to need a lot of practice first. I never start anything unprepared!

I got to 'know' Monza in my first lap just because it's todays Monza without all the chicanes. The Nurburgring... is a different story.

BTW... what's up with the trainer cars? I thought I'd get some practice with those first, but the GP car is easier to drive than those!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 06:11 (Ref:1120799)   #42
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you guys live in Europe, you must do a racing school/ track-day at the Nordschleife. Zakspeed, yes that Zakspeed, is having an all day school at the Nordschleife on Monday October 25th. The price is 750 euros and is well worth it. I did it last year and it is the best way to learn this great track without fight motorcycles and tons of cars that comes with the 14-euro-per-lap deal. All the instructors speak English btw. Check www.zakspeed.de for info. Highly recomended!!!!!
Old 11 Oct 2004, 07:27 (Ref:1120824)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Kevin - for get the trainers (F2, F3) and turn off all mthe aids from the outset. Learn to drive with them on and you'll have to learn all over again with them off.