Old 8 Jul 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1350061)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa looking more to BMW than Ferrari

Quote:
Ever since he came into Formula One, Felipe Massa has been talked about as a future Ferrari driver.

Managed by Frenchman Nicolas Todt, son of long-standing Ferrari boss Jean, the Brazilian was a test driver for the world champions in 2003 before returning to Ferrari-powered Sauber last year.

The 24 year old Massa admits he would jump at the opportunity but, despite some recent speculation about compatriot Rubens Barrichello's future at the Italian team, is not expecting a call from Maranello any time soon.

BMW, who take over Sauber next January, are the main focus.
Full article at the Sydney Morning Herald, here: http://smh.com.au/news/Sport/Massa-l...704535816.html

Massa thinks he has a good chance of being retained by BMW next season, but as he is a free agent at the end of the current season, he is weighing his options and talking to various teams. I wonder what teams those might be?
Old 8 Jul 2005, 04:20 (Ref:1350094)   #2
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
Turbo_Charged should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all depending on where Rubens will be next year. No secrets that Gil De Ferran would love to have his old pal as a driver... However, it's also possible the Massa could go to BAR, his youth suits the image of the team quite well.. however I doubt that will happen, it would be too risky to have both Sato and Massa in the driver lineup.

I hope he stays at Sauber-BMW... he's been doing extremely well and knows how the team operates.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 05:03 (Ref:1350102)   #3
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charged
I hope he stays at Sauber-BMW... he's been doing extremely well and knows how the team operates.
Interesting thing is though perhaps Sauber is all he knows whereas drivers like JV, Heidfield etc have been in several teams over their careers and can offer more to BMW as they are trying to make core changes to a team that will hopefully be competitive given time.

So , not really sure if that will work for or agaisnt him, out with the old in with the new sort of arrangement
Old 8 Jul 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1350193)   #4
Turbo_Charged
Rookie

Switzerland
Zuerich
Turbo_Charged should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32
Interesting thing is though perhaps Sauber is all he knows whereas drivers like JV, Heidfield etc have been in several teams over their careers and can offer more to BMW
Massa had a year with Ferrari and actually impressed everyone. So who knows? Heidfeld is a solid driver, but wasn't a lot quicker than Massa when he was just a rookie... He's doing well against Webber, but Webber hasn't been that great this season so far.

JV... have the impression he will do well the remaining of the season but won't stay.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1350194)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I've never really understood the Massa to Ferrari logic. A Ferrari seat is one of the most sought after in F1. If Rubens does leave, his replacement should be someone who has the potential to go on to be WDC (That's assuming Michael Schumacher will retire in the next 2 or 3 years, and that Rubens replacement will be in a position to become the teams new #1 driver).

Although Massa seems to be a reasonable driver, IMO he's never really done anything to suggest he is a potential WDC.

Thats my thoughts on the subject anyway.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1350203)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa to Ferrari is a good fit - but not in the potential successor to Schumacher sense if you ask me. When it comes to replacing the number one, I think Ferrari will follow the best decision they have ever made and do everything they can to snag the best possible driver - which means Kimi or Fernando, probably Kimi. Most likely Rubens will see 2006 out, and so will Michael - then it could be Massa and Raikonnen for the red team.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1350305)   #7
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This is a tough call. I do however think that Massa will have options; being young and fast and showing more maturity all the time, he is sitting pretty, imo.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1350307)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Raikkonen to Ferrari isn't going to happen, except over the cold, dead body of Ron Dennis, if you ask me.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 13:22 (Ref:1350313)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
Raikkonen to Ferrari isn't going to happen, except over the cold, dead body of Ron Dennis, if you ask me.
Mclaren are going to have to convince Kimi a bit more than they are currently doing - the guy knows he can win the Championship if he gets the right package, and he isn't going to wait forever to do it. It looks to me as if Alonso will achieve what Kimi could once have (and become youngest WDC) - Kimi will definitely feel the clock ticking when if season slips by... and that comes on top of 2003 where he could have got the Championship if the car scenario was better.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1350324)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree Glen. The frustration for Kimi seemed to reach a peak in the past year or so, has abated somewhat due to the McLaren car being better, but Kimi may not tolerate more inconsistencies. However, as many have spoken about, if MS does retire, the Ferrari team could flounder as some key people may retire as well. History has proven that no team shall dominate for more than a few years and Ferrari has enjoyed the longest streak in F1 history (that I am aware of). Massa, as well, seems smart enough to realize this and BMW could be a fantastic opportunity for him.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1350328)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heidfeld will certainly be in one of the BMW seats next year so it could be between Massa and JV for the other if Massa wants to remain where he is.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1350337)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Does anyone know roughly what contractual situation Raikkonen is in at the moment?
Old 8 Jul 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1350411)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa is a pretty decent driver, but there are lots of good drivers out there. Massa would make a competant addition to the new team. Peter Sauber is also going to be a consultant for the team, so obviously he'll be giving them his recommendations. That might include an endorsement of Massa. BMW is predicting that Williams will be stronger than them in 2006. I wonder if Heidfeld could be staying at Williams for at least another year?

I've never gotten the Ferrari/Massa thing either.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:41 (Ref:1350463)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Massa is quick, and is always trying... BUT the issue is not whether he chooses BMW or Ferrari, but rather, which of them would choose him?

Although Massa has shown good performance at Sauber against JV, i still doubt Massa is good enough for Ferrari. Kimi's contract is supposedly up for renewal, and considering Kimi's pent up frustration at missed opportunities, making a jump may not seem improbable. Ron won't make it easy, but obviously, this year's shake up in team's performance may have done him some favour.

Button would be a good and competent driver for Ferrari. Not an absolute star driver yet, but he's definitely among the Grade As.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1350464)   #15
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
I've never really understood the Massa to Ferrari logic. A Ferrari seat is one of the most sought after in F1. If Rubens does leave, his replacement should be someone who has the potential to go on to be WDC (That's assuming Michael Schumacher will retire in the next 2 or 3 years, and that Rubens replacement will be in a position to become the teams new #1 driver).
A seat with Ferrari as contractual no.2 of MS cannot be pleasant to any true driver. There is indeed, however, the prospects of taking over the lead once MS retires which may be attractive. MS having not given much indication that he was about to retire, it would be too early for Massa to jump ship now if he can remain with Sauber / BMW next season. Unfortunately for me, FM, JV and NH all deserve, in my view, to remain in F1 next season and the sport needs new faces. This is why, I think, Rubinho and Sato are the ones who should give away their seat.

It will be interesting to see where everyone will end and this weekend race might be crucial to this determination.
Old 9 Jul 2005, 00:56 (Ref:1350717)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
You can say that again..