Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2342189)   #1
Hope-Elise
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Hope-Elise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Midget Challenge.

I think this is the place to post this..

Hey, i've left a few comments on this forum before but have a few questions.

After a fair few years of restoring an MG Midget with Dad, to make it a C class race car for me to race, it's ready for a roll cage.

Is the best place to get one rollcentre.co.uk?

And, do those of you racing them, paint inside and out the same colour? As Dad's looking at painting inside the engine bay one colour and everything else another =/

Are there any other girls/women in the MG Midget Challenge?

Hope-Elise x
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2342197)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First question - As good as any and better than some.

Paint it whatever colour you like although a white engine bay let's you spot any problems.

Dunno sorry.

Good luck with it though. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun. What is it a 1275 round wheel arch?
Old 26 Nov 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2342209)   #3
Hope-Elise
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Hope-Elise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Midget Challenge

yes 1275, round wheel arch.

Thanks very much, hopefully it'll be ready for the new season!
x
Old 26 Nov 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2342289)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We have been investigating roll cages on another thread." Elite Roll cage".PM me and i will send you the phone numbers of the firm we are using if you want.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2342402)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would keep body, engine bay and interior all the same colour. It looks much more correct and "period" to my mind.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2342443)   #6
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Painting all same colour gives a good cohesive finish to the car. Alternatively satin black interior is good for minimising distractions. Under bonnet in satin black is good too and maybe more practical although not as neat as body colour. Roll cages seem to be an active topic - I'm currently also looking for one for a Grantura. Looks like there are a number of places that will do a good job but prices seem to vary quite a lot. You really need to discuss your requirements with each and make your decision. Also do you want a kit to install or a bespoke job? Roll Centre, Safety Devices, Custom Cages all do kits and bespoke. Fabricage do bespoke.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Dave
Old 27 Nov 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2342646)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi Hope-Elise, good to see another Midget racer!

I presume you've been here:

http://www.mgmidgetchallenge.co.uk/

There's a forum that will help.

Yes, there's one other lady racer, she was out for first time at Mallory right at the end of the 08 season.

Paintwork? Matching? Have you seen the majority of Midgets? (mine included!)

Seriously, these cars are at least 30 years old and most have had several resprays so the originality is lost in the mists of time. Whatever works for you, but with a bare shell respray most tend to paint the inside to match the outside.

Enjoy! I don't do the Challenge but sometimes come and "help" someone who does. It's a good starting place, you'll be amazed how quick ageing cheap sportscars can be made to go.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2348922)   #8
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
totally irrelevant but heres a picture of mine
Click image for larger version

Name:	_tRZ0C3079.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	20707
Click image for larger version

Name:	23062007050.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	20708
Old 6 Dec 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2348924)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And a fine example if I may say.

In fact I believe there's a rather well known capri under the grey cover behind you!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2348928)   #10
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers peter

the car under the cover is your capri
Old 7 Dec 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2349784)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy
cheers peter
No probs, I do like the modsports class of your championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy
the car under the cover is your capri
Lol.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2350290)   #12
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now those pictures take me back................. to the late 70s, when I had a modsport midget. Fantastic spec for those days, including coil springs all round

Last I heard it had been sold by Keith Ripp to a Japanese collector