Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2003, 17:42 (Ref:619449)   #1
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour: New team for 2005?

I read one finn weekly sports newspaper today (called Veikkaja), and it had a real odd rumour: Old Arrows plant bought by Eddie Cheever and John Menard, backed by Red Bull. New team will start in 2005 season and will have Renault engines, renamed as Infiniti!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:02 (Ref:619469)   #2
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope this is true but very much doubt it. F1 could do with more cars on the grid.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:20 (Ref:619498)   #3
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guy who owns Red Bull (someone will have to remind me of his name) has been desperate for a US-themed F1 team for some time. There was talk of his taking over Arrows as a going concern as it sisintegrated last summer. Red Bull are currently running a driver development scheme in the US to find an American F1 driver, a programme which will probably come to fruition around 2005.
Personally, I see Red Bull buying out Sauber around which to base its concept; it seems a far simpler option, and I read a very strange interview with P. Sauber last year in which he spoke of the team's new wind tunnel less as a means of producing faster racing cars than as a way of making the team a more attractive long term prospect for investors. Isn't Peter Sauber himself heavily in hock from buying back a share of the team from investors (might have been Red Bull) a few years ago? If so, I wouldn't blame him to take the cash and run...I'm wondering whether Sauber got as far as they ever will as a private team in 2001/2002 (cf. Jordan 1999).
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:30 (Ref:619515)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renaults rebadged as Infinity's. That makes sense, considering the Renault-Nissan link.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:31 (Ref:619516)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The guy who owns Red Bull (someone will have to remind me of his name)
Dieter Mateschiz
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:35 (Ref:619526)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The rumour you allude to is strangely like a post I made 15 months ago on the collapse of the Prost team and the near rise of the Phoenix.
I am a Soothsayer saying sooths
Old 3 Jun 2003, 18:36 (Ref:619528)   #7
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Menard and Cheever have said in public they bought the plant to help with their IRL, Chevy operations. F1 could be a possiblity but they of cource need a major sponsor. Maybe Red Bull could become the primary sponsor? If they get involved with Sauber that would be unlikely.

John Menard is also very rich (fortune mag. put his net worth around 2$ billion) so he could finance a deal. Will have to see...
Old 3 Jun 2003, 19:40 (Ref:619588)   #8
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every year it seems that there is talk of a new team from this or that country, with this or that person sponsoring the deal, yet they never really come through. Remember last year and Dan Gurney stating that an American F1 team would take part in 03 / 04, only to have the deal fall through. I'll believe it when I se the team on the grid for the first race!
Old 3 Jun 2003, 20:22 (Ref:619629)   #9
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is interesting re:Arrows as the liquidation sale of the Arrows team assets has been cancelled, until further notice??

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 4 Jun 2003, 04:05 (Ref:619995)   #10
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested to see it happen, we definately need another team in f1. 20 cars just doesn't seem like enough to me...and an american team would be a nice change too, some new drivers etc.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 04:31 (Ref:620009)   #11
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the love of God dont do it Red Bull! Menard is a very bad American version of Stoddart. He did fine in the IRL when the competition was thin but now hes nowhere. The guy is way too hands on with his team and has a bad habit of switching mediocre drivers every 5 seconds. Cheever is in over his head, theyll both drown in F1.
Get Penske to run this team, please get Penske!

The Red Bull drivers are not the best America has to offer but in a few years who knows? Phil Giebler who scratched his way into F3000 should get a shot if he turns out to be any good. I'll also nominate Hunter-Reay if he gets some more speed and stops crashing.

This team will be ****, im ready to be disppointed. At least itll be a way for Americans to get into F1.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:14 (Ref:620052)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the words of Richie Benaud - 'Fat ****ing Chance!'

The only way this will happen is if Cheever and Menard are NOT in the control of the team. I wouldn't trust those two to drive me to the shops.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:22 (Ref:620057)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I know Chhver and menard have already bought some of TWR assets, after the collapse of Walkinshaw little empire.
But for now they are focusing on the engine research & developement activitiy, particularly with GM group (Chevy).
So I think it's not very likely that they willl enter F1 with Renault.
Once said that , I think it's clear that to get the boost it needs, F1 must find a way to reach the interest of US huge audience: the bare event of Indianapolis GP is not enough at all.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 06:50 (Ref:620067)   #14
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care where the team's from or where it's based i just want more cars on the grid in F1, hopefully the rumour comes to fruition.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 07:41 (Ref:620105)   #15
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Crazy F1 rumour No 14,236,873,839,474,646,373
Old 4 Jun 2003, 10:18 (Ref:620266)   #16
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber actually bought out Red Bull, but imidiatelly (wrong spelling I know :-)) sold the shares to a bank. Funny, but he kept Red Bull as a sponsor :-). Actually, Sauber made money on the deal if I recall it right. He also made money on Raikonnen :-)), the guy is actually wealthier than ever, I wish him the best.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 10:58 (Ref:620318)   #17
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the same time though Max Mosely is saying that 2 manufacturers are ready to pull out of F1 - I'd say the days of the private teams aren't numbered at all...