Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Jul 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1040574)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New ALMS Entries?

So where are these new entries supposed to be coming from in 2005/6?

New manufactuers/teams, teams moving up a class or two?

If some teams at least indicated there hopes to race in LMP1 and GTS some of the worries about the series may diminish. Even if these plans are a year or two off, and dependent on new customer cars etc.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1040584)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It's July JAG. Most news for future seasons occurs in the fall. Perhaps we should worry less about the entrants, and allow the series to do their job, and market the series to potential factory entrants.

1. Theoretical 05' Grid.

LMP1

2 Porsche LMP1
2 Audi R8
2 Dyson Lola
1 Intersport R&S
1 Zytek

LMP2
1 Intersport ?
1 Bucknum LMP2 spec
1 Panhard

GTS

2 Aston Martin
2 Corvette
2 Saleen
2 Lambourghini

GT

40 Porsche
2 Panoz
1 Ferrari
2 Caddy's

In reality, we are about 4 LMP1's, a pair of GTS, and something to challenge the Porsche's in GT away from a fantastic series.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1040614)   #3
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol

this is my predicted grid:

LMP1

2 Audi R8
2 Dyson Lola
1 Intersport R&S or Lola
2 Mazda's

LMP2
1 Intersport
1 Bucknum LMP2 spec
1 Panhard
2 other Lola's

GTS

2 Corvette
1 Saleen
2 Lambourghini
1 Ferrari 575 or 550

GT

8 Porsche
2 Panoz
1 Ferrari
2-4 TBA's
Old 20 Jul 2004, 04:57 (Ref:1040928)   #4
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm gonna go with:

LMP1

2 Champion Audi R8
2 Dyson Lola B160
1 Autocon R&S
2 Mazdas

LMP2

2 Intersport Lola B04/40
1 Bucknum Pilbeam
1 New Lola B04/40
2 Old Lolas

GTS

2 Corvette C6-R
1 ACEMCO Saleen S7-R
2 Lambourghini
2 Aston Martin
1 Ferrari 575

GT

10 Porsche
2 Panoz
2 Ferrari
Old 20 Jul 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1041243)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So it's decided, then? Mazda is going into LMP1?

If we've reached consensus, it's time to let them know.

BTW, I'd guess AutoCon will field something other than R&S next year. Just a hunch.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jul 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1041265)   #6
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess you´d find a Zytek in the ALMS next year ,with so few races in europe....and the little car is more than a match for the MG-lola,I believe.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1041367)   #7
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you wont see Aston Martin running a full season next year in the alms. they probably will only do Sebring and Petit Le Mans. They are going to convcentrate on development work in europe..
Old 20 Jul 2004, 15:48 (Ref:1041384)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
So it's decided, then? Mazda is going into LMP1?

If we've reached consensus, it's time to let them know.

BTW, I'd guess AutoCon will field something other than R&S next year. Just a hunch.

Mazda could run a GT or an LMP class car....

Although it has been my experience that your "hunches" generally turn out to be "fact," paul-collins, I'm not quite so sur ethat this one will pan out....

Posts by others who know people with that team or are on that team have indicated that they think the R&S with an Elan engine will be competitive....

They got a good deal on that chassis when they bought it....and from their experiences with it when they ran it for American Spirit in 2003, they know the car and how to set it up to run well...

They had an excellent run at Sebring....with the old Linoln engine...
With the Elan, they will be a lot faster...

It also would take an additional expenditure in the six-figure category to replace a car that they have raced only once thus far this season....

I just don't see that happening....

Replacing the R&S, that is.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Jul 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1041411)   #9
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen zero evidence of a Mazda or Porsche LMP project
Old 20 Jul 2004, 16:28 (Ref:1041419)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To dretceterini: It was mentioned in another thread on this forum that Porsche have tested an LMP recently. So there is evidence, but nothing is set in stone as we saw last time they were preparing an LMP.

To Tim: I have no doubts that AutoCon have faith in the Riley and Scott. However, they also have said that they would like a better chassis. So if the opportunity came up perhaps they'd make the step up. I don't see it happening though.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1041495)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I guess that if they can get an Audi R8 for $200,000 - $225,000 (that's what the American Spirit R&S was listed for last fall) and a buyer for the R&S, they would change chassis....

But I don't see them getting a better chassis for what they paid for that R&S...that price was a steal!!!!

Old 20 Jul 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1041501)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Now for my "Let's Hope" List:

1. That AutoCon gets to show what they have got in talent and speed with the package that they have...the sooner the better....

2. That Fred Lienhardt (spelling?) cuts loose the Doran/Lista Dallara that has been sitting in a garage (with a Judd GV5 in it!) since last July after the Sears Point race to someone who wants to race it....and

3. That Team Elite gets things together and gets back in action....

That would help relieve a lot of the concerns about car counts and such in the ALMS LMP1 class.....

and it would alleviate it this year....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 20 Jul 2004 at 18:07.

Old 20 Jul 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1041512)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(One of) Leinhardt's Dallara(s) is actually heading over to Europe to run in the Interserie 100-minute mini-enduro at Lausitzring August 7-8.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Jul 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1041528)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
(One of) Leinhardt's Dallara(s) is actually heading over to Europe to run in the Interserie 100-minute mini-enduro at Lausitzring August 7-8.

It's good to hear that one of them isn't going to continue to collect dust....

Now, if he will only part with one for a team to run in the ALMS...or get back into it himself...

But the latter is unlikely...given that there is the DP program in Grand Am going that started right after Sears Point last year....

It's a shame...that car was competitive....I hate to see good hardware go to waste....

and if Herbert wouldn't have punted them on the last corner at Sears Point last year, they would have been on the podium...

Old 20 Jul 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1041545)   #15
MonkeyP900
Rookie

MonkeyP900 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care whether it's a Mazda or a Porsche (or a Nissan) but the ALMS needs a stronger prototype grid than this year.
Strange really, the Audi was only beaten a couple of times but the variety in the grid made it more interesting, even though there wasn't much competition
Old 20 Jul 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1041552)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by MonkeyP900
Strange really, the Audi was only beaten a couple of times but the variety in the grid made it more interesting, even though there wasn't much competition
In the "Since you raised the issue" category:

Since the R8 has been in competition, it has lost only seven races to four different types of chassis:

Courage (Estoril in 2001)
Panoz (Portland & Mid-Ohio in 2001, Sears Point & Wash DC in 2002)
Bentley (Le Mans in 2003)
MG-Lola (Sears Point in 2003)

Of those seven losses, four were to the Panoz....and those are sitting around collecting dust, too....

We know that the Bentleys will never see a race track again....

But the Panoz ran well last year, too...5th at Sebring and 5th at Le Mans for starters....

Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1041606)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not familiar with the name Leinhardt. Was that Doran's partner, or are these different Dallara's?

Quote from Tim Northcutt: "1. That AutoCon gets to show what they have got in talent and speed with the package that they have...the sooner the better...."

Question: What kind of performance, or speed would show what they have? I'm just curious about what would be deemed successful or competitive relative to the competition.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1041634)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
I'm not familiar with the name Leinhardt. Was that Doran's partner, or are these different Dallara's?

Leinhardt owns the Dallara. Doran was the prep organization and entrant name.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 21:01 (Ref:1041668)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:

Quote from Tim Northcutt: "1. That AutoCon gets to show what they have got in talent and speed with the package that they have...the sooner the better...."

Question: What kind of performance, or speed would show what they have? I'm just curious about what would be deemed successful or competitive relative to the competition.

1. How about times and finishes faster and better than they ran with the Lincoln engine, but up closer to where the Matthews car ran when the Matthews team ran it...

since the Matthews car had paddle shifters and I don't think that the AutoCon car does, I don't think that times equal or better than Matthews would be a fair standard to set for them...but I do think they could come within a couple of seconds or closer....and I think they could put the car in the Top Five overal, if not on some podiums...

2. And I'm sure that a Top Five at Petit would be considered a competitive result...I think they are capable of it with an Elan engine...

Mr. Lewis and Mr. Drissi were 7th at Sebring with an underpowered race car....thus a Top Five is more than possible with an Elan engine and their steady hands and talents as pilots of the car...depending on the field, a podium would be more than possible as well...

How about an overall podium in at least one of their three ALMS races to close the season...I think that is also do-able....especially at Laguna or Road Atlanta

or staying within a lap of the Audi in the 2 hr. 45 min. races

There are a few "yardsticks" to measure them by...pick one or two...I think they are up to more than a few of them...

BTW....

Intersport had only a few races with the car so their times were not that exceptional....at times, the American Spirit team was faster with the Lincoln engine than Clint was in the Intersport R&S...

that's not a shot at Clint Field....they only ran the car 3 or 4 times......

I think Jon and Duncan would be fast in it once they got a feel for the car....if Intersport chooses to run the R&S

Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1041748)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
In the "Since you raised the issue" category:

Since the R8 has been in competition, it has lost only seven races to four different types of chassis:

Courage (Estoril in 2001)
Panoz (Portland & Mid-Ohio in 2001, Sears Point & Wash DC in 2002)
Bentley (Le Mans in 2003)
MG-Lola (Sears Point in 2003)

Of those seven losses, four were to the Panoz....and those are sitting around collecting dust, too....

We know that the Bentleys will never see a race track again....

But the Panoz ran well last year, too...5th at Sebring and 5th at Le Mans for starters....
The Panoz beat the R8 at the Nurburgring in 2000 as well Tim
Old 21 Jul 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1042184)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Make that 8 losses......

and FIVE were to the Panoz.....

The last time I looked, they were still collecting dust....

Thanks for the added fact, Graham Goodwin.....I stand corrected, but I do appreciate it....

Old 21 Jul 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1042206)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I would agree that we could use at least one Panoz in the series. The car was competitive enough for a race win as late as 2002. In 2003 the car seemed to lose ground. But I think that's more because of lack of development and lack of budget. This car still has a few more tenths worth of speed in my opinion. After all, it's not much older than the R8. The R8 has just received more attention. It could have a good chance on the right track.

Maybe Don should rent or sell one real cheap to AutoCon in an effort to better the series. I would think that Drissi and Lewis with their Trans Am experience could really pedal that car around a track.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1042210)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I would agree that we could use at least one Panoz in the series. The <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> was competitive enough for a race win as late as 2002. In 2003 the car seemed to lose ground. But I think that's more because of lack of development and lack of budget. This car still has a few more tenths worth of speed in my opinion. After all, it's not much older than the R8. The R8 has just received more attention. It could have a good chance on the right track.

Maybe Don should rent or sell one real cheap to AutoCon in an effort to better the series. I would think that Drissi and Lewis with their Trans Am experience could really pedal that car around a track.

I'd have to go back to look at actual results from Sebring and Le Mans, to be sure, but in 2003, I belive that the Panoz cars had their only Top Five finishes in those races....particularly Le Mans...

I could be wrong...but I don't remember a Panoz finishing higher in those two races than they did in 2003....

Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1042233)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
They had six overall podium finishes during the 2003 ALMS season with a best finish of 2nd at Petit. Actually, it was six podiums in a row from Trios Riv. to Petit. Typically they qualified around 6th spot with a best grid position of 4th at Trios Riv. and Petit.

Last edited by jhansen; 21 Jul 2004 at 15:10.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1042244)   #25
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Although they did not get a win last year, that sounds like a very consistent season....

Yet they are collecting dust....

But I will note that the only one I have seen for sale (it was about 4 months ago, and I can't remember the site) was listed...Used...for:

$575,000

Not cheap...but being fast and competitive is never cheap, is it???

I would also agree with whoever posted it above that making an offer on the "Boat People" Dallara (Spinnaker Clandesteam)....or even the old Stefan Gregoire Courage C60 that "Saturn" (from Spain?) had planned to campaign in the LMES before their sponsors backed out...

Those are two other possibilities for some decent racing gear....

anybody got a good contact with a banker to get a line of credit going?