Old 3 Jul 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2242865)   #1
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brit Car Silv 24hr/Ring 24hr costs

Hi

We are thinking of buying & entering a car in the Silv 24hr race & Ring 24hr next year... just wanting to tap into the experience out there in terms of pitfalls, costs, best cars to use etc etc.

We are thinking of running in the diesel class. Any idea on costs of entries/fuel/tyres etc etc...

Thanks
Old 3 Jul 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2243044)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWRF01
Hi

We are thinking of buying & entering a car in the Silv 24hr race & Ring 24hr next year... just wanting to tap into the experience out there in terms of pitfalls, costs, best cars to use etc etc.

We are thinking of running in the diesel class. Any idea on costs of entries/fuel/tyres etc etc...

Thanks
Your best bet is to get in touch with Dave Ashford of Brunswick Motorsport,he has a lot of experience with running/driving in both of these events.
Old 5 Jul 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2244757)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entry fee for the diesel classes are higher than petrol for some reason.

Depending on what you intend running, you will need a set of boots every 3-4hrs, that's 8-10 sets at £160/tyre. Plus testing & qually.
Fuel - what do you expect from your diesel? 20mpg? If you work on that, look at the results from last year to see how many laps a comparable car did, and then work out the mileage, add 10% to cover your backside, and you can work out how many litres you'll need.

I reckon you should budget £15K for boots and jollop.

Don't forget communications - a good system is worth it's weight in gold. The last thing you want is to say byebye when they go around Copse, and say hello again when they enter Woodcote!

I supplied a two car team last year, the could have detoured off circuit and gone to Towcester or Buckingham and still talked back to the pits!

I also worked on building a Focus 2.2 TDCi for the job, and I reckoned I'd need 30K to build the car for 24hr running, then another 25-30K to run it for the event. That's me doing most of the work, not paying a professional organisation to do it for me (hence it being doomed to failure!).

More details on the fees are on the EERC/Britcar24hr website.

Rob.
Old 9 Jul 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2248110)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I spoke to Mr Britcar himself at the Autosport Show.

He told me about £3k+ for a Silverstone drive, I'd reckon £15-20k excluding car.
He also told me that you have to do a wee test around the Ring before you can race there, Ring Meisters or something, just to prove your worth. About £6k+ for a drive but as for a car, at least £50k+ excluding car.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2252512)   #5
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Dave Ashford is the man to ask. I have done the 'ring 24 hour twice with Brunswick. Both occasions we finished and on both occasions the cost was very reasonable, about £4K.
What car to use? Depending on whether or not you want to win.... Looking around the paddock there is a huge variety of competing cars. If you want to have a good time, finish and not trouble the podium the 'Top Gear' approach will get you a good result. A cheap but straight donor car with a good cage and tank. Add some decent brakes and some spares and go testing. Prepare nicely and replace the usual weak points like drive shafts, get the weight down and treat the gearbox gently (racing shifts are not needed in a 24 h race) and you will get home. I think Top Gear did the Silverstone 24 hours with a BMW 330 Diesel and did okay. Alternatively just pay Dave and Giles and they will do it all for you.....
Old 17 Jul 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2252645)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Britcar is a National B event, I'd imagine the Ring requires a higher grade of racing licence?
Old 17 Jul 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2252672)   #7
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but easy to get, just a few signatures on one's Nat A. They also make it a requirement that yoi do the ring school. It cost about E500 and was held the day before the race. It was worth every penny even though I had done dozens of laps on track days. You take your own road car and follow a DTM driver in another road car. He talks to you via radio as you follow him. I was in my old Alfa 166 leaning on the side walls big time and all I got from him was 'come on Steven I'm sure you can drive a little faster'. It was great fun and very useful in the race.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2257758)   #8
MMC Andy
Racer

England
Newmarket
MMC Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Approximate prices being asked for spare seats - and I know that most of them are being snapped up, people are very keen to get involved.

Class 1 - £10k +
Class 2 - £7.5k
Class 3 - £5k
Class 4-6 - £2.5k +

Andy
Old 6 Aug 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2264283)   #9
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemco Andy
Approximate prices being asked for spare seats - and I know that most of them are being snapped up, people are very keen to get involved.

Class 1 - £10k +
Class 2 - £7.5k
Class 3 - £5k
Class 4-6 - £2.5k +

Andy
Supprised that that Andy,

I am probably out this year as I can't find commited drivers this year....

personally, running mine ends up costing something like £40-45K (with nobody getting paid)
Old 23 Aug 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2273621)   #10
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was looking on the eerc webiste today and they have posted details of nxt years round with entry fees, including the 24hr. www.eerc.co.uk
Old 28 Aug 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2276955)   #11
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would cost a lot of money to start from scratch. My bet would be to buy an enduro ready G50 from Ginetta for say £40k+ and then you have all the work done. I cant see it done any cheaper and at least you would have factory support.

I would expect running costs to be around £20k for a basic set up and like Simon said up to £40k for all the trimmings.

I raced a Class A Mosler for well under the prices mentioned above. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

If you turned up on test day with £3k you would get a good drive with plenty of track time if you ask around.