Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2290785)   #126
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Thank you for all the nice pics.

I was wondering, about the excessive amount of technical problems that has haunted Team Essex Invest. I am not sure why, if its down to bad luck, lack of understanding of the car or hard driving - aka driving hard on curbs breaking the front axle at Silverstone?

Second in LMP2 is very impressive if you ask me, but the team is very ambitious. Because the lack of results together with the financial crisis, has now forced the team to rethink 2009

What do you think?
I am also surprised by their technical problems. The VM Motorsport Porsche had almost a trouble free season. And about hard driving maybe a reason. I think Verstappen is also hard driving the car.

It would be a shame if the Essex Porsche will not return next season.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2291085)   #127
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some more backgrounds and pictures here:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...e-1000-KM.html
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2291089)   #128
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I am also surprised by their technical problems. The VM Motorsport Porsche had almost a trouble free season. And about hard driving maybe a reason. I think Verstappen is also hard driving the car.

It would be a shame if the Essex Porsche will not return next season.
The Merksteijn Porsche will not return, and many on the grid are hoping the same is true for a certain Verstappen.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2291095)   #129
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Jos Verstappen - clearly a controversial figure amoungst the fans, but let's give credit where credit's due. The outstanding driver of 2008 in my opinion. I hope he's back to grace us with his talents next year, his performances have been exemplary on track this year, and yesterday was no exception.
Team owners will not have missed that he put the Porsche into the wall on his outlap in the wet.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2291109)   #130
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Not a fan of JV?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2291115)   #131
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
and many on the grid are hoping the same is true for a certain Verstappen.
Why would that be ? I thought he has done a teriffic job this year .
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2291119)   #132
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at the track too yesterday and enjoyed the event. I have to admit however that I did find the race hard to follow at times, the LMP1 battle was easy enough to keep track of but the rest was a little muddled for me, but then I guess im used to seeing the races on TV with timing and scoring. All in all though a great race with a very good crowd, free tickets or not. Roll on 2009!
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2291125)   #133
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Why would that be ? I thought he has done a teriffic job this year .
speak with other drivers, especially those in the slower cars
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2291141)   #134
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
Yes, took me an hour to get from the 3.5 mile point to the right turn into the circuit approach road in Silverstone - I doubt temporary signs would've helped much with the queues...

I saw at least 10 cars drive down the outside and then push into the queue at the very last minute - Some people are just self important and selfish, simple as that...

With 10 minutes to go I was still sitting on the roundabout outside the main entrance when they suddenly waved all the cars from about 5 in front of me into the centre of the circuit.

I got parked and reached the circuit side inside of Priory, just as the race started, so well done to Silverstone staff for getting people to see the start of the race.

I also missed most of the incidents, so I'm looking forward to the Motors highlights.

Cheers.
No traffic jam for me, hehe the sat nav in our Audi directed us through Silverstone Village I think and over the A43 bridge past all the cars on the queuing slip road and down the right hand lane.

Tom.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2291184)   #135
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4
The Merksteijn Porsche will not return, and many on the grid are hoping the same is true for a certain Verstappen.
Why would they not return? They have been the clearly superior car at every round this season.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2291189)   #136
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Because the car has been sold .
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2291197)   #137
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
Why would they not return? They have been the clearly superior car at every round this season.
After winning Le Mans there's is nothing to proof. Peter van Merksteijn and his son Peter Jr will do World Rally Championship next season.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2291223)   #138
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are some pictures boys and girls (yes, I know about my sensor!)

Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2291232)   #139
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
After winning Le Mans there's is nothing to proof. Peter van Merksteijn and his son Peter Jr will do World Rally Championship next season.
Hopefully, the new owner will keep the Equipe Verschuur (Frans Verschuur) affiliation and just replace the van Merksteijn ingredient in the current team.

Edit: It is now apparent that this is most likely the scenario. Also that Equipe Verschuur may be in the mix of a second Spyder in '09'.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 15 Sep 2008 at 20:44.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:39 (Ref:2291235)   #140
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat
Merksteijn will concentrate on WRC. They have been unable to find external sponsoring, so they have decided to quit. The car is for sale, just like the Horag car. They had the ambition to win, they won and now it is time to go on. Earlier attempts to use an R10 for next season have been aborted. It turned out to be too complicated. Where (and if) Verstappen will get a new drive is undecided. Bleekemolen will probably find some backing from Porsche for a drive (having won the Porsche cup this year).
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2291238)   #141
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Hopefully, the new owner will keep the Equipe Verschuur (Frans Verschuur) affiliation and just replace the van Merksteijn ingredient in the current team.

L.P.
the van Merksteijn ingredient was called money....
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2291254)   #142
Robert RS
Rookie

Netherlands
Veenendaal
Robert RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think henk4 is a fan of Spyker and I think there are more drivers in fast cars who would like to see the Spykers gone than drivers in slow cars who want to see Jos leave. But that's a pointless discussion which will lead us nowhere.

However one thing I have to get off my chest is that calling 'money' Peters sole contribution to the team is just plain wrong and an insult and anyone who has followed the entire season will agree with that.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:03 (Ref:2291260)   #143
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more photos from Silverstone

http://sportsracers.fotopic.net/c1579575.html

Hope you like 'em.

Cheers.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2291263)   #144
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert RS
I think henk4 is a fan of Spyker and I think there are more drivers in fast cars who would like to see the Spykers gone than drivers in slow cars who want to see Jos leave. But that's a pointless discussion which will lead us nowhere.

However one thing I have to get off my chest is that calling 'money' Peters sole contribution to the team is just plain wrong and an insult and anyone who has followed the entire season will agree with that.
Well, I don't deny that they did a good job, but it was more a warning for any new owner that money is an important ingredient and that was supplied by van Merksteijn. And I am not a fan of any team.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2291274)   #145
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert RS

I have to say that Merksteijn did a brilliant job this year . Verstappen needed a solid partner ..... and got one . Merksteijn completely surprised me this year . I must admit , I didnt think he could peddle an LMP2 car that quick ..... and Im glad to be proven wrong .
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2291287)   #146
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here is a video I made while I was there not the best of quality but its just from a olympus 750, nothing special.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2291290)   #147
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos is definitely a controversial figure and probably will remain so, but his pace was exceptional this year, ruthlessness aside, and he definitely earned his P2 driver's championship and his part in the LM victory as well. Peter was a revelation though - he very quickly came to grips with the RS Spyder and provided a very strong support driver performance to the effort. Yes, he contributed money, but he was probably the quickest gentleman driver out there, and he did not make nearly as many errors as he was expected to. Can't say enough about Jeroen either - but his Supercup performance separately confirmed his talents. I don't think the fact that Jos spun in the wet somehow degrades his performance this year.

I gather that both the Horag/Leinhard and Verschurr/van Merksteijn cars have been sold and that both are planned to be run by their current teams for their new owners.

Regarding the flying Peugeot and similar incidents - maybe the ACO needs to look at the aero regulations, but it should also be noted that several of these incidents have involved cutting back in front of a GT car too soon - maybe the drivers need to be fixed before the aero regs? Of course cars have flown as a result of single-car incidents, but that may be impossible to avoid. If you try hard enough, you can launch almost anything traveling at prototype speeds.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2291319)   #148
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
Jos is definitely a controversial figure and probably will remain so, but his pace was exceptional this year, ruthlessness aside, and he definitely earned his P2 driver's championship and his part in the LM victory as well. Peter was a revelation though - he very quickly came to grips with the RS Spyder and provided a very strong support driver performance to the effort. Yes, he contributed money, but he was probably the quickest gentleman driver out there, and he did not make nearly as many errors as he was expected to. Can't say enough about Jeroen either - but his Supercup performance separately confirmed his talents. I don't think the fact that Jos spun in the wet somehow degrades his performance this year.

I gather that both the Horag/Leinhard and Verschurr/van Merksteijn cars have been sold and that both are planned to be run by their current teams for their new owners.

Regarding the flying Peugeot and similar incidents - maybe the ACO needs to look at the aero regulations, but it should also be noted that several of these incidents have involved cutting back in front of a GT car too soon - maybe the drivers need to be fixed before the aero regs? Of course cars have flown as a result of single-car incidents, but that may be impossible to avoid. If you try hard enough, you can launch almost anything traveling at prototype speeds.
From what I read, Horag will run the car in 09 (pending sponsorship) and will retire the car to swiss museum at the end of 2009.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2291365)   #149
The Badger
Veteran

Theys-Lammers are supposed to be the drivers , along with a pay driver .

Hope they get a decent one .
Old 15 Sep 2008, 23:39 (Ref:2291367)   #150
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
here is a video I made while I was there not the best of quality but its just from a olympus 750, nothing special.
Nice one Mike ..... cheers .