Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Apr 2023, 18:36 (Ref:4150427)   #76
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
I was about to say that if they decide to move to another venue, COTA would be a good choice. The pit/paddock areas are more like what the WEC are used to, and it can take on a more normal Saturday/Sunday racing schedule. iMSA for Saturday, and WEC for Sunday. With Wednesday and Thursday for practice and testing, Friday for qualify.
When WEC was at COTA, i thought "what a ghost circuit"
It was possible to count spectators in my two hands. Few fans, huge facilities in the middle of nowhere...
Definitely, i prefer Sebring or Petit Le Mans, which are circuits with a true atmosphere and a fun soul.
However i can understand that it was tricky to conciliate WEC and IMSA the same week-end at Sebring...
Old 4 Apr 2023, 23:21 (Ref:4150452)   #77
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well in fairness COTA is larger and more structured compared to both Sebring and Road Atlanta. Track is longer than Road Atlanta but comparable to Sebring, but the entire facility is also much larger. Think COTA is almost 900 acres compared to 700 for Road Atlanta, I couldn't find anything for Sebring.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4150474)   #78
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I imagine places like Sebring and Road Atlanta have more atmosphere, challenge and character in one inch compared to the whole of COTA.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:06 (Ref:4150478)   #79
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Not saying cota is better than either, though there are definitely experiences worth experiencing at cota. T1 incline, the tower, and watching cars go through the esses is fun. It's not 100% devoid of character for fans. Maybe having gone makes it tolerable to watch on TV. There are worse places to go in the states for wec's needs.

Granted I went when wec and imsa where both present. A ghost circuit it was not.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4150481)   #80
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I always thought COTA looked fun. Road Atlanta and Sebring are amazing. I love a good curry, but it doesn’t mean I think Chinese is rubbish!
Old 5 Apr 2023, 12:57 (Ref:4150495)   #81
Steve McQ
Racer

France
Steve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSteve McQ should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
COTA would be great with the addition of good old gravel traps.

Let's go to Elkhart Lake Wisconsin !
Old 5 Apr 2023, 16:31 (Ref:4150528)   #82
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQ View Post
COTA would be great with the addition of good old gravel traps.

Let's go to Elkhart Lake Wisconsin !

Shhhhhh... that's our "secret place". They can have Laguna or Atlanta, but not there.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 18:36 (Ref:4150537)   #83
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the communication on social medias is improving, particularly on Youtube.
Now, i think the next goal for WEC would be increase entertainments on site, on each race. Like as Le Mans or F1 GP's : concerts, exhibitions of cars, villages, fun fairs...
Old 5 Apr 2023, 20:58 (Ref:4150547)   #84
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Here's what makes COTA special compared to Sebring or Road Atlanta (don't get me wrong, I love both Sebring and Road Atlanta). Drive fifteen minutes from Sebring and what do you have??? An Applebees and a gas station??? Drive 15 minutes from Road Atlanta and what do you have??? A Zaxby's and a gas station??? Drive 15 minutes from COTA and what do you have??? One of the best nightlife areas in the world, literally dozens of places to have brisket that are better than anywhere else in the world, some of the best tacos outside of Mexico, etc.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 23:35 (Ref:4150561)   #85
cavalo_mORTO
Rookie

cavalo_mORTO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why doesn't the ACO schedule the WEC race the weekend prior to the 12H? I'm talking about Sebring.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 23:39 (Ref:4150563)   #86
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I imagine ticket sales would lean to the 12. Big ask to get all those couch burning pioneers to light it up 2 consecutive weekends.
Old 5 Apr 2023, 23:40 (Ref:4150564)   #87
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Here's what makes COTA special compared to Sebring or Road Atlanta (don't get me wrong, I love both Sebring and Road Atlanta). Drive fifteen minutes from Sebring and what do you have??? An Applebees and a gas station??? Drive 15 minutes from Road Atlanta and what do you have??? A Zaxby's and a gas station??? Drive 15 minutes from COTA and what do you have??? One of the best nightlife areas in the world, literally dozens of places to have brisket that are better than anywhere else in the world, some of the best tacos outside of Mexico, etc.
Tell me you're poor and spend all your money on going to France without telling me you've never stayed at chateau elan lol

Edit: got to spend this dude's 40th birthday at cota and had a great time.

Last edited by seanyb505; 6 Apr 2023 at 00:02.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4150598)   #88
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I always thought COTA looked fun. Road Atlanta and Sebring are amazing. I love a good curry, but it doesn’t mean I think Chinese is rubbish!
Ive never liked Chinese food. I even went to one near me with my family to give it a fair shot. We all ordered 2 plates and then shared it all. I think I liked just one of the plates because it wasn't covered with sticky, gloopy, shiny sauce and didn't taste sweet like bubblegum.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 16:57 (Ref:4150663)   #89
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
COTA is actually a pretty nice viewing experience as a fan - the layout of the track means that several major viewing spots actually give quite a good view of multiple sections of the track, the T1 grandstand especially since that hill is so tall compared to the surrounding landscape. In contrast, Road America is a nice track but because it's in a forested area, the views of the track are more limited. Austin is a pretty interesting city as well, but I ended up staying in the much more remote Bastrop because in those days the data plan on my phone was poor so I didn't want to deal with navigating to the circuit from inside a city.

I think a big reason for the better atmosphere at tracks like Sebring & Road Atlanta is down to the campers & RVs being closer to the track limits and in spots on the interior of the circuit, which COTA doesn't so much have as it was designed from the ground up to be a Grade 1 circuit.

And Sodemo, something you should be aware of about Chinese food is that often, the good dishes are not the ones on the English language menu. But of course, that's a problem if the local place only has an English takeaway menu, or if you don't know anyone who speaks the language and can order off the "real" menu for you. Just my two cents as a Chinese-American
Old 7 Apr 2023, 03:30 (Ref:4150697)   #90
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBD View Post
I think a big reason for the better atmosphere at tracks like Sebring & Road Atlanta is down to the campers & RVs being closer to the track limits and in spots on the interior of the circuit, which COTA doesn't so much have as it was designed from the ground up to be a Grade 1 circuit.
I'd argue the biggest factors are
- how close the general spectator can get to the track and not being kept miles away from the course, and
- the forgiveness of the track in case of a driver error, the consequences for 'going over the line' at old-school North American tracks like Sebring, Rd. Atlanta, Rd. America and Mosport for instance are far bigger than at modern, Grade 1 circuits like CotA, Silverstone, Abu Dhabi, etc. Bigger risk in case a driver gets it wrong but the audience is much more appreciative when racing is conducted near the sharpe edge.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 11:57 (Ref:4150749)   #91
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
- how close the general spectator can get to the track and not being kept miles away from the course, and
- the forgiveness of the track in case of a driver error, the consequences for 'going over the line' at old-school North American tracks like Sebring, Rd. Atlanta, Rd. America and Mosport for instance are far bigger than at modern, Grade 1 circuits like CotA, Silverstone, Abu Dhabi, etc. Bigger risk in case a driver gets it wrong but the audience is much more appreciative when racing is conducted near the sharpe edge.
Or at least it appears to be. Can be just as sharp edge at COTA but without the wall to destroy the car so errors are only noticed by those paying attention rather than the spectacular aftermath
Old 7 Apr 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4150756)   #92
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good way of putting it.

If I was being silly about it then I’d argue that you are more likely to see on the limit at COTA because of it. The AMs especially might give the limit a wider margin. Which is fine and an argument that this rewards the brave, but you’ll see less on the limit.

I think most of us are in the prefer Road America or Sebring camp. For me it is just don’t just rule out, say, a COTA type track. It seems to me that it was done quite well. I enjoy seeing the cars there, there are some good corners.

When NASCAR is there it isn’t one for the white line enthusiasts, but still fun. Lots of challenge and good racing with switchbacks and potential for side by side for several corners - which is very rare at most circuits.

And the fast prototypes are a joy through the sweepers.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 14:49 (Ref:4150770)   #93
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I agree, and I think those things are actually related to what I was mentioning, namely:

A less forgiving track may mean things like gravel traps or grass run-off instead of tarmac run-off, but often times, one of the things that makes a track "less forgiving" is walls close to the track. And just as often, walls being closer to the track mean that spectators on foot, campsites, and RVs are closer to the cars in motion as well.

Being close in general adds to the fan interest even if the cars aren't always on the ragged edge, for example as a spectator you can get a good look at the cars going through the 16-17-18 right hander at COTA and it's very neat to see, but for me, seeing the different classes at Le Mans fly through the Ford Chicanes at eye level at relatively close distance was equally interesting.

I was focusing on the overall color and mood the fan presence adds to the atmosphere at a circuit during a race weekend, which can be appreciated even on a TV broadcast. Hence, my comment about the RVs and campsites being close to the track, since they often bring things like furniture, viewing stands, barbecues, signs, etc. that show up in the background and act as kind of landmarks as the cars are circulating which adds some visual interest and the unique flavor of endurance racing.
Old 13 Apr 2023, 21:12 (Ref:4151366)   #94
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
More speculation: https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/...rier-2024.html

Sebring's exit seems all but confirmed - but I fail to see how going to CotA in the southern part of TX in the midst of summer* is gonna be successful, Indy would be the much better option is that regard.

* at least the drivers won't have to worry about the absence of tire warmers for once!
Old 14 Apr 2023, 09:24 (Ref:4151398)   #95
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gotta be honest, I don't see either as decent replacements. Especially when the leading class has now been slowed down to the speed of the top IMSA class, which opens up possibilities of things like Road America to use.
Old 14 Apr 2023, 11:58 (Ref:4151415)   #96
Vogelmann
Rookie

Vogelmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know why the WEC doesn't race on Sunday at Sebring?

I agree with those who say that being close to the cars is one of the main things that brings life to a track. Sitting in a grandstand behind two rows of fence has little appeal to me.
Old 14 Apr 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4151418)   #97
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Gotta be honest, I don't see either as decent replacements. Especially when the leading class has now been slowed down to the speed of the top IMSA class, which opens up possibilities of things like Road America to use.
Road America is too far for the desires of the FIA it seems. Crowds and fans aren't high on the list but fancy hotels and stuff for the FIA/team principals/sponsors aren't really around for that. Hell for Indy F1 many of the team higher-ups and Bernie flew to Chicago in the evenings for a "real" hotel, the teams themselves likely stayed in Speedway, a town where Indycar drivers are robbed at Taco Bell drive-thrus so.... I'm betting if the FIA really asked teams and the higher-ups many would not care if they were in a decent hotel vs a flophouse and they could get really nice RVs rented for them.

But why would they think about the fans, they already have your surveys stored and know what they said. Didn't use them but hey they tried right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogelmann View Post
Does anyone know why the WEC doesn't race on Sunday at Sebring?
Sebring after the 12 Hours is NOT a place to run an event. The place needs a good hard reset after the race, teams are packing up and leaving right after and the fans are headed out on Sunday to get home after the weeklong party
Old 14 Apr 2023, 12:37 (Ref:4151422)   #98
PhilipR
Racer

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On a potential positive this might open the opportunity for a WEC team to take part into sebring 12 hours which is more prestigious thant the 1000 miles

Toyota, Ferrari, Peugeot, Alpine might consider Sebring as a test and as a way of adding to their records

At the moment no wec teams compete in Sebring 12 hours
Old 14 Apr 2023, 14:01 (Ref:4151435)   #99
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipR View Post
On a potential positive this might open the opportunity for a WEC team to take part into sebring 12 hours which is more prestigious thant the 1000 miles

Toyota, Ferrari, Peugeot, Alpine might consider Sebring as a test and as a way of adding to their records

At the moment no wec teams compete in Sebring 12 hours
You wish! (and me too). Scheduling Qatar right before it and the first Euro round right after it (given a 2 week window on either side), will eliminate all opportunity for that, especially considering the increased logistics with the new cars. The Rolex is a different story though.

And yes - Rd. America would be a wet dream!
Old 19 Apr 2023, 11:52 (Ref:4152167)   #100
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...uhSe8kCN0GJRWg

Silverstone in 2025 is looking hopeful