Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Apr 2002, 17:40 (Ref:265766)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcel Albers - 10 years ago today

Can it really be ten years ago that the talented Dutchman lost his life at Thruxton? It seems like yesterday. Going by what I saw at the previous opening F3 round at Donington Albers was one of the faveourites that year for F3 honours.

I think his family started an award in his name, does anyone know if it continues? I think it was presented at the Marlboro Masters race.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 14:19 (Ref:266400)   #2
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is that christians brother????
Old 21 Apr 2002, 18:35 (Ref:266629)   #3
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the accident I had contact with his father and he sended me a large picture taken in the morning before the accident from Marcel and Elton Julian kidding with a banana.
The picture was taken in the morning around 11.00 o'clock and and a couple of hours later he died in the accident.
It's a very large picture and it's a very valuable item for me.
Old 21 Apr 2002, 19:56 (Ref:266688)   #4
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trophy was presented, for the last time in 2001. The family felt that the current generation of drivers would not have known who Marcel was.

Marcel was not related to Christian Albers.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 19:00 (Ref:267663)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Trebor
After the accident I had contact with his father and he sended me a large picture taken in the morning before the accident from Marcel and Elton Julian kidding with a banana.
The picture was taken in the morning around 11.00 o'clock and and a couple of hours later he died in the accident.
It's a very large picture and it's a very valuable item for me.
Even more ironic considering it was the pair of them who collided. I recall Julian came back and won the nnext Thruxton race, then dedicated it to Marcel.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 19:02 (Ref:267670)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by El_Gibleto
The trophy was presented, for the last time in 2001. The family felt that the current generation of drivers would not have known who Marcel was.

Marcel was not related to Christian Albers.
Thanks for that information, I guess Marcel wouldnt be well known to todays generation - but his peers included Barrichello and Coulthard, as wel as De Ferran - which sort of makes you wonder where he would have got to in his career.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 19:05 (Ref:267676)   #7
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he was the best Dutch driver of his generation, perhaps he would have had a successful F1 career, unlike certain other dutch drivers!
Old 22 Apr 2002, 19:58 (Ref:267778)   #8
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Twas a very sad day. I was unfortunate enough to be in a position that meant I attended the inquest. Personal involvement in things like that really remind you that motor racing is dangerous, and the smallest mistakes can have terrible consequences.

RIP Marcel.
Old 22 Apr 2002, 21:27 (Ref:267897)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

He was at it hammer n tongs with Julian when they clashed, although I never really heard if anyone was to blame. When Jouanny had his big one last year I thought immediately of poor Marcel.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 01:37 (Ref:269003)   #10
Tomgreen
Rookie

Tomgreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was at thruxton on that day and was very nearly hit by debris from marcels car. His car came to a stop about 10 feet away from where i was sitting. It was awful.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 17:01 (Ref:270507)   #11
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember being in the press room, working on a none-related F3 article (I wasn't covering F3), when the Autosport journalist that day - a close friend of Albers' - came rushing through the door in a dreadful state with a coin in his hand, smashing it into the pay phone to call the office. I probably ought not recall his words to his colleague on the other end of the line, except to say when the gravity of the situation had sunk in his money had run out. Then he dashed back out again.

Albers was clearly not just a very promising talent but also much liked as a person. What a dreadful shame. You're quite right, Ghinzani. With peers such as Barrichello, Coulthard and de Ferran, I wonder where he'd be now?
Old 11 May 2003, 21:48 (Ref:596364)   #12
c.o.p.
Rookie

c.o.p. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no doubt that Marcel would be a F1 driver today. He was always miles ahead of Jos who only had the career he had because Marcel was no longer there. Marcel is one of motorsports great people. Those who knew him will tell you.
Old 11 May 2003, 23:59 (Ref:596466)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

did they actually race together? I can remember Jos in FVL in about 92 IIRC but Marcel was gone already.
Old 12 May 2003, 00:20 (Ref:596476)   #14
c.o.p.
Rookie

c.o.p. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they never raced but Marcel had the speed and the brains. Also had the contacts in holand.