Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 May 2004, 15:23 (Ref:962631)   #26
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Here's an interesting piece of news.

http://www.lmsr.net/konradmonza.html

Why would Gabbiani and Ortiz leave the Zytek team to race in the Spinnaker Dallara? The Zytek was much more competitive than the old school Dallara at Pre-Q. Has Spinnaker updated their car??? An explanation would be nice if someone has it.

Could just be that their deal with Zytek either fell through, or was never finalised in the first place- don't forget they weren't in the car at the LM test weekend either
Old 6 May 2004, 15:28 (Ref:962635)   #27
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I don't know this for sure, but I don't think that Spinnaker can alter or upgrade their chassis after "Test Days" scrutineering....

If I remember correctly from last year, Durango was supposedly going to put updates on their car, and a Forum member pointed out the rule that prohibits alterations like that once a car has passed "Test Days" scrutineering and has received the official "ACO Sticker" as approved for competition for Le Mans...

I could be very wrong on this....because upgrades that they would make (I assume) would be the same ones that are now on the RollCentre Dallara....and they were approved...

But the way I have undestood it, once you go through "Test Days" scrutinieering, the car as you submitted it that day will be the car wyou will compete with and that any "add-on" changes or revisions to it are not allowed...

Could someone please clarify this for us????

Maybe even quote the provision in the regs that addresses this???

Because I know it is in either the 2004 regs or in documents pertaining to scrutineering for the race...
My memory is a bit hazy on this, but weren't Durango actually planning to run a different chassis, rather than just upgrading the one they took to the test day?- I think I remember there was talk last year about a second new chassis that incorporated a number of upgrades, although I don't think it ever actually raced anywhere

A clarification of what kind of changes/upgrades- if any- are allowed between the test day and the race weekend would be appreciated if anyone can oblige
Old 6 May 2004, 15:33 (Ref:962638)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another Question....

We know that we can always rely on this Forum for coverage of the race events...

But will either the LMES site, or the site for the Monza track itself (if they have one, and I assume they do...) have:

"Live Timing & Scoring"

I'd really love to find this out....for Practice, quals and the race itself....

If anyone can find out, please advise...

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 May 2004, 15:37 (Ref:962641)   #29
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And anyone know of a pub/bar that has MotorsTv in York?

I'm flying over Saturday night and what a way to adjust to local time, eh?
Old 6 May 2004, 15:37 (Ref:962642)   #30
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing to add on the chassis dilema. The LMES is seperate from Le Mans. It doesn't seem right that just because the cars have been scrutineered for Le Mans that a team couldn't upgrade their car to be competitive at an LMES event. The scenario KA suggested sounds more likely. But I'll yield to someone that knows for sure.
Old 6 May 2004, 15:45 (Ref:962649)   #31
KA
Veteran

Quote:
One thing to add on the chassis dilema. The LMES is seperate from Le Mans. It doesn't seem right that just because the cars have been scrutineered for Le Mans that a team couldn't upgrade their car to be competitive at an LMES event.
That makes sense- otherwise teams who are running Le Mans could be at a disadvantage against those who didn't enter- (or get accepted...), who could presumably upgrade their cars as much as they liked for the LMES season?

Then again, it would be a real pain for a team to upgrade their car for Monza knowing that most or all of the new stuff would have to come off again for Le Mans.....
Old 6 May 2004, 15:50 (Ref:962655)   #32
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But as long as the changes are ACO legal (since LMES is ACO run and organized) then I don't see a problem. That's why the scenario you recall about Durango makes more sense to me. Adding deep endplates or making a subtle change like that shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then something is wrong with that process.
Old 6 May 2004, 15:56 (Ref:962662)   #33
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But will either the LMES site, or the site for the Monza track itself (if they have one, and I assume they do...) have: "Live Timing & Scoring"
Not sure, Tim, but some french sites may have a live coverage too... anyway, I'll connect around 1pm and check those french sites... they may as well be on the cricuit itself...

I cannot see anything on the LMES site in terms of "live timing and scoring"...

We should manage to do some decent reports, I think !
Old 6 May 2004, 15:56 (Ref:962663)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But as long as the changes are ACO legal (since LMES is ACO run and organized) then I don't see a problem. That's why the scenario you recall about Durango makes more sense to me. Adding deep endplates or making a subtle change like that shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then something is wrong with that process.
That's why I asked about it....

and used the example of an "approved" endplate for the RollCentre Dallara and whether or not Spinnaker could do the same, since it has been approved for another competitor in a Dallara...

I really don't know the answer...

But I do remember that there were very strict and extensive guidelines about what could not be done to the car following the "Test Day" scrutineering....

I just don't know if "upgrades" like we're talking about are one of those (not allowed" things once the car has been stickered...

Old 6 May 2004, 16:01 (Ref:962668)   #35
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Not sure, Tim, but some french sites may have a live coverage too... anyway, I'll connect around 1pm and check those french sites... they may as well be on the cricuit itself...

I cannot see anything on the LMES site in terms of "live timing and scoring"...

We should manage to do some decent reports, I think !

Even for Le Mans itself, I am always jumping back and forth from the official site to this one....

But if you can find any sites that will have some sort of "live Timing and Scoring" I would appreciate it....

and I couldn't find anything on the LMES site or the MOnza race circuit site, either....

Spa's own site had that type of hook-up last year for the FIA-SCC race and it was great!!!

Please keep me posted....

Old 6 May 2004, 17:06 (Ref:962716)   #36
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
Could just be that their deal with Zytek either fell through, or was never finalised in the first place- don't forget they weren't in the car at the LM test weekend either
Maybe you are right about the deal with Zytek.
I would prefer the Zytek above the Spinnaker Dallara.

From lmsr.net:
"Gianmaria Gabbiani has struck a deal to pilot the Graham Nash Saleen along with drivers Michel Orts and Ettore Bonaldi."
Is this a brother of Beppe Gabbiani?
Old 6 May 2004, 17:16 (Ref:962719)   #37
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
The article I read about Gianmaria Gabbiani on a different site referenced Beppe as Gianmaria's father.
Old 6 May 2004, 17:23 (Ref:962721)   #38
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The article I read about Gianmaria Gabbiani on a different site referenced Beppe as Gianmaria's father.
Indeed father and son
According to his website (http://www.gabbianijr.com) he does formula racing, GT and Nascar style racing in the US.
Old 6 May 2004, 18:35 (Ref:962790)   #39
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am looking forward to this weekend, it just I shame I would see it as A) I don't have MotorsTV and B) I am at Silverstone on Sunday. Never fear I will be trying my best to keep up with Qualifying.......
Old 6 May 2004, 18:38 (Ref:962793)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm just hoping that we have some way to keep up with qualifying...

I can't find any "live Timing & Scoring" possibilities so far...

LMES site doesn't seem to be set up with such a function...unless they are going to do it through the "Classification" tab under the "Monza" event listing...

Old 7 May 2004, 05:08 (Ref:963087)   #41
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Even for Le Mans itself, I am always jumping back and forth from the official site to this one....

But if you can find any sites that will have some sort of "live Timing and Scoring" I would appreciate it....

and I couldn't find anything on the LMES site or the MOnza race circuit site, either....

Spa's own site had that type of hook-up last year for the FIA-SCC race and it was great!!!

Please keep me posted....
For what I understood in our several conversations with some involved in the ACO's team regarding timing and scoring, most of the people here are volonteers, and keep asking for more funds/ways to improve the race/practice coverages. For now, I think it's the same for LMES... leadind to a lack of coverage for the fans on internet, even if ACO improved dramaticaly last months.

To say one thing, Inforcourse mentionned yesterday that there's still no "french radio Le Mans" expected for the race in 2004...

ACo is very (very !) conservative : they don't really realized how internet is now the main way to communicate... I mean outside of La Sarthe !

Last edited by Fab; 7 May 2004 at 08:14.
Old 7 May 2004, 08:07 (Ref:963174)   #42
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
marcush. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a set of Endplates could help spinnaker is more than questionable..good luck to Ortiz and Gabbiani,hopefully both get some miles in the race for their money...
Good thing is if Brabs is sharing the car with Andy they will at least have a good fight with the Creation boys...
Old 7 May 2004, 08:40 (Ref:963210)   #43
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Ortiz and Gabbiani are in the RollCentre car... which did a reasonable performance in April... not talking about their outstanding race in Sebring ! edited by Fab : I'm a twit ! RollCentre has Barbosa, Barff-osa as pilots ! Shame on me

Almo Coppelli (with Rocky Agusta and Sylvain Boulay) said to me, for the Spynnaker Clan Des Team, that the car was not really "ready" for such an effort (and compared to such a field)... they intend to work alot before June....

Last edited by Fab; 7 May 2004 at 15:05.
Old 7 May 2004, 10:10 (Ref:963281)   #44
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
what a feat...inviting a team that is not ready for such an effort wheras another Team (creation) has a properly prepared machine ,very good drivers and the desire to compete not even invited as a provisional ....crazy times...
Old 7 May 2004, 10:22 (Ref:963292)   #45
marcush.
Racer

Equatorial Guinea
Bad Ems /Germany
I would not want to take anything away from Clandestins effort ,they surely are nice and enthusiastic people,but I´m always a little bit
at loss what to think of people who are in it for the hell of it.
To compete implies the desire to win...and putting in place the necessary structures to achieve that goal before jumping into the sea.And if you are not ready and you know it why blow out the money and risk the car ,the people and the reputation?there would have been better concepts to learn the ropes of taking part in LeMans.
Old 7 May 2004, 12:01 (Ref:963393)   #46
KA
Veteran

DSC now have first session times-

Top 10 are:
#8 Veloqx Audi
#88 Veloqx Audi
Zytek
Goh Audi
Creation DBA
Kondo Dome
Pescarolo
Rollcentre Dallara
Belmondo Courage (fastest LMP2)
Tuarus Lola (Judd, not diesel...)

and Stefan Johansson is apparently third driver in the Zytek
Old 7 May 2004, 13:31 (Ref:963469)   #47
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rollcentre Dallara as only had Barff and Short at the wheel, I expect it to go up some places when Barbosa picks it up.
Old 7 May 2004, 13:47 (Ref:963493)   #48
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadete, when Barbosa picks up the ante, he will fly (as dose too damn spanish guys taht drive in our gpl division )
Old 7 May 2004, 13:54 (Ref:963497)   #49
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Thanks for the Report, KA....

Any other times of note for various teams???

Intersport's LMP2?

Tampolli??

How far behind were these two, when compared to the Belmondo????

and what time windows were the top runners turning for their laps???

High 1:30s range???

Low 1:40s???

If you know, please advise...

Just curious...

Thanks!

Old 7 May 2004, 14:04 (Ref:963508)   #50
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first session times courtesy of dsc:

Edited by Fab : please don't copy and post from any site, especially from paying ones ; post a link to a free access source

Last edited by Fab; 7 May 2004 at 15:13.