Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Nov 2003, 03:50 (Ref:792590)   #1
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larko out-Winterbottom in

Well those rumours are now confirmed,yeah OK Ill fess up I was at the official Site (ducks for cover)

V8 Supercar driver Mark Larkham will compete in his last championship race at Eastern Creek this weekend and will be replaced by young hotshot Mark Winterbottom in 2004.

Winterbottom, the reigning Konica V8 Supercar champion, has just completed the second of a five-year deal with Stone Brothers Racing, but has been released from his contract so that he can join Orrcon Racing for at least the next two seasons.

The deal has been brokered over the last couple of months and has been facilitated with the help of Ford and with the blessing of Larkham Motor Sports' major sponsors Orrcon Steel and DecoRug.

Larkham, who will retire from full-time driving duties after 10 years in the V8 Supercar ranks, will still play an active role in testing and at Sandown and Bathurst as an endurance driver, but will now have the chance to concentrate on his business 100%.

"I have stated for some time that if an opportunity presents itself to progress our driver line up, I will step aside - the time is now right," said Larkham.

"I believe Mark Winterbottom is a genuinely talented race driver who's achievements to date have been based on his ability - and I like that.

"I have been in dialogue with Ross and Jimmy Stone for some time now regarding Mark, and it is clear they have given him a very solid grounding"

Winterbottom will team up with regular Larkham Motor Sport Racing driver Jason Bargwanna in one of the team's two Orrcon Racing BA Falcons in 2004-5.

"Personally, yes I am disappointed to have missed the opportunity to get my backside in a BA Falcon for a season, I really enjoyed being competitive in it at the Sandown 500, but LMS is not about my driving career," said Larkham.

"However, it's not completely over yet. At this stage I anticipate a degree of involvement in testing as we continue to develop the BA, and at this stage I will continue as a co-driver in the endurance events.

"As the demands of both team ownership and competitive race driving become tougher, to optimise both roles within my resources will result in compromise, and that's not where LMS is headed.it is clear to me this is the correct thing to do".

"This now allows me to focus 100% on the business - something I am passionate about. Given the opportunities now before us I am absolutely committed to seeing LMS show it's full potential over coming years".

Winterbottom, 22, was the winner of the Ford Kartstars competition three years ago and then progressed to the Formula Ford Championship in 2002 where he was runner-up.

He was signed by SBR mid-way through last year and a deal was brokered to run in this year's Konica V8 Championship in which he won four of the six rounds and wrapped-up the title with one round remaining.

"This is a fantastic opportunity and I have to thank both Stone Brothers Racing and Mark Larkham for making it happen," said Winterbottom.

"There is no doubt that Orrcon Racing has made some solid progress this season and that the team has secured the budget to take the next step in 2004.

"I look forward to working with Jason Bargwanna and Mark (Larkham) on a daily basis and learning a lot from both of them. The great thing is that the team is also based on the Gold Coast and that I can be on call and don't have to move anywhere."

SBR co-owner Ross Stone says it was not viable for his team to run a third car for Winterbottom in 2004 and that the deal with Larkham Motor Sport was a great alternative.

"Mark Winterbottom is a terrific young talent and it was important to ensure he had a full-time ride in the V8 Supercar Championship Series in 2004," said Ross.

"We looked into the idea of running a third car ourselves, but the money people want to buy or lease a franchise just made the whole idea unviable. I think this deal with Mark Larkham is a win-win for everyone involved.

"The Orrcon team has made some real ground this season and that young Mark will learn a lot from both Larko and Jason Bargwanna. I expect him to be out there racing as hard as he can and giving us a run for our money."

Ford Australia's Motorsport Operations Manager, Stephen Kruk, was delighted to see two Ford teams like SBR and LMS working together on a project such as this.

"First of all I'd like to thank Mark Larkham for his support and success since joining V8 Supercars fulltime in 1995. Mark has been a great ambassador for Ford," said Kruk.

"The benefits of Ford teams working together can't be underestimated. We see Mark Winterbottom as a huge talent and will be someone that Ford fans can watch as a future champion.

"The LMS and SBR 'win win' deal will allow Mark Winterbottom to compete in the main V8 Supercar Series in 2004, providing invaluable experience to further his career.

"LMS has recently announced an extension to its Orrcon Steel and Tubing sponsorship deal. Now with the driving combination of Mark Winterbottom and Jason Bargwanna for 2004, the team is set for exciting times in the future."

This year's championship will be decided at the VIP Petfoods Main Event at Eastern Creek Raceway with SBR's Marcos Ambrose and Holden's Greg Murphy and Mark Skaife still in the title chase.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 03:57 (Ref:792592)   #2
barra
Racer

barra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if part of this deal is an SBR BA??
But none the less fantastic news for Winterbottom. Congratulations, and it is great to see a person like Larkham move aside for the good of his team and sponsors, when at the end of the day he would prob be rather racing.
I am disappointed Larkham hasn't had the success he deserves, but the future looks good for LMS.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 03:59 (Ref:792593)   #3
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree, larko was/is a good driver. it sad to see him go without the success he probably deserves. I wonder if winterbottom will be bringing with him to lms anything else from sbr?
Old 24 Nov 2003, 04:06 (Ref:792594)   #4
Frosty
Rookie

Frosty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be a BA that LMS will build themselves and they expect to have 3 completed in 2004. Winterbottom will be in an LMS BA come Adelaide.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 05:04 (Ref:792624)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant news!

Mark Winterbottom will do very well from the arrangement. Its not often that a young guy is placed in a team on talent as opposed to commercial considerations. Bargs had better watch out, in terms of raw speed, MW is certainly the business

There is a depth to the engineering in that operation that seems to have been stifled to some extent by budgetary considerations. The recent announcement of the increased Orrcon deal suggests the team is moving towards having the dollars in place for the team to compete as opposed to participate.

In terms of cars, a new Beehag BA shell is in the LMS workshop at the moment, to be built up by the Larkham team over the Christmas period for use in 2004.

I understand the third car will be knocked out sometime during the early part of the 2004 season as a replacement for the current #20 BA, which will become the team spare.

Its interesting that Larko has decided to effectively replace himself, perhaps he can now focus on achieving commercial outcomes for his motor racing business to give them the dollars to compete at an even higher level.

And with any luck, to represent Ford on the new 7 man TEGA board!! Larko's technical knowledge is extremely strong, and as past participation has proven, Larko will fight the good fight when it needs to happen.

Good news all round, well done to the people who put the deal together!!!
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 24 Nov 2003, 05:33 (Ref:792633)   #6
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, let's hope Larkham Motor Sport gets much more competitive and i can't see any reason why not now that this has happened.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 05:53 (Ref:792637)   #7
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If MW is still managed by SBR why cant they build him a car as well....SBR & LMS have a strong relationship from previous dealings
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:06 (Ref:792639)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would doubt that SBR would have the capacity to build any more cars.

With a build program for 2004 likely to include the construction of 2 new BAs, fitting any more cars into that schedule would likely be very difficult.

I somehow doubt SBR would try to squeeze any more into their 2003/4 offseason that would detract from their 2004 program!
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:09 (Ref:792641)   #9
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad to see Larko retire he was a talented steerer who never got the results I think he was capable of given more dosh & a better car but it is exciting to hear that things a looking up for the team there 2 major sponsers have signed up for 3 years & they now have 2 talented drivers & a team boss 100% focused on getting the best possible from the cars.

I wonder if when his contact is up we could see him back at SBR in the main game.

Last edited by MRJUCY; 24 Nov 2003 at 06:12.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:25 (Ref:792646)   #10
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant wait to the C 10 coverage next year and see what input Larko will have...will he go the Jones way or Grech way?
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:37 (Ref:792648)   #11
Frosty
Rookie

Frosty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GROUPA
I cant wait to the C 10 coverage next year and see what input Larko will have...will he go the Jones way or Grech way?
LOL GROUPA! I think Larko's more of a Grech though.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:41 (Ref:792651)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
But unlike the 2 you mention, Larko doesnt question the application of rulings with clever anecdotes, he mainly quotes the specific regulation chapter and verse and how that application is made, to question the process rather than shytcanning the people charged with applying the process.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 07:31 (Ref:792685)   #13
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent move to get young MW there.It was always going to be the team I follow once Bowe retires.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 07:35 (Ref:792689)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Here's hoping that Caltex siezes the opportunity and displaces Castron as oil sponsor to that team.

When Mr Winterbottom fires into his first championship round victory in 2004, it would be nice if the Caltex share price could join him on the top step of the podium!
Old 24 Nov 2003, 08:00 (Ref:792709)   #15
TBMATT05
Rookie

TBMATT05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard it on the radio today at work (on bloody 4KQ) and I didn't know who would replace him but I remeber AutoAction saying MW will go to LMS, I guess this is one of the times that they are rarely right. It seems to be out with one Mark and out with annother
Old 24 Nov 2003, 08:01 (Ref:792710)   #16
Rowdy
Racer

Australia
The Shire
Rowdy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news but sad news. would loved to have seen larko have one more year in a good BA and once again show his talent up the front, But seeing the team move forward as quickly as they seem to be is awesome for a long time supporter who has copped heaps over the last couple of years as they have struggled. Still time for that elusive BAthurst win. watch out for these guys in 2004. This can only be good for LMS. The new sponsorship deal means i can justify finally upgrading from my mitre 10 racing jacket! I wonder if the catch cry "GO THE BOTTOM" will catch on..... maybe il just stick with Bargs.....

Larko, We miss you.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 08:04 (Ref:792711)   #17
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You little beauty, great news indeed. Can't wait for him to hit the track in 2004. Well done to all concearned in putting the deal together, will benefit everybody.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 09:24 (Ref:792757)   #18
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GREAT NEWS !!!!.

Larko has served the sport well, and as one of his biggestr fans, I have to say Ill miss him as a driver but his other love is the engineering side of things and he will enjoy the whole Management thing. Mark Winterbottom and Bargs will be a great combo and if the recent form of their sole BA is any indication, I say roll on 2004 and 2 LMS BA's .
The Konica Series has again achieved its goals.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 09:29 (Ref:792762)   #19
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i hope is that they get an improved paint job on cars next year. The cars just didn t look right this year.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 09:43 (Ref:792773)   #20
jas105
Rookie

jas105 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is great to see Mark Winterbottom will be racing in '04
for LMS, he is a good young talented driver. Larko has been a hardworker for the series over the years and looking the right way for the future.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 20:41 (Ref:793261)   #21
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Mark given a shot in the big time, and continue the impressive trend of Konica winner this year, fulltime drive the next....

Lets hope he can produce more consistent results then Canto and Besnard!

And it is also good to see Ford nurchuring young talent for once. Lets hope likes of Youlden, White and Porter can follow a simalar path....
Old 24 Nov 2003, 20:44 (Ref:793264)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What Ford nurturing?

SBR found Mark Winterbottom before he was noted as a gun FF pilot, found the dollars to run him in Konica, and found a way to assist a transition to LMS. I dont think there is any Ford link other than the brand of car being driven!
Old 24 Nov 2003, 20:56 (Ref:793278)   #23
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry GTRM,

I meant SBR... A Ford team as apposed to the many Holden teams that have been doing the same for years...

GRM= Tander, Bargs, Whincup
HRT= Lowndes
HYL= Heaps to mention here including to blokes that share the last name Kelly.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 21:47 (Ref:793326)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
No worries Timu... I would just hate to give Ford credit for something they had very little to do with.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 22:12 (Ref:793346)   #25
harderfaster
Rookie

harderfaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news... now they just have to replace Elma Fudd... oops, I mean Bargs, and LMS would be a team worth betting on.