Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Dec 2003, 05:48 (Ref:801105)   #1
overflow
Racer

overflow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Winterbottom

With his undoubted talent for single seater drivingt , do you think he should have tried his luck overseas first before signing up for Stone Bros Racing....ok , I know it is the one of the best drives in touring cars , but this kid has real driving skills that could have taken him a long way in Formula racing...I think he jumped too early in signing a 5yr deal....
Old 2 Dec 2003, 05:58 (Ref:801113)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have no doubt Mark Winterbottom could make it overseas, but he doesnt have a semi trailer load of sponsorship to go to Europe with, to make it a reality.

If it wasnt for SBR, and Mark Roworth in particular (as you heard MW mention on the awards night), Mark would likely still be in the relative wilderness of karts... rather than a national champion in one of the Supercar classes.

The original plan for the guy was 2 seasons of FF, 2 seasons of Konica, then a step up to the main series.

MW blew some of the established stars away in the unfancied Spectrum, with 2nd in the FF national title. A 2nd year would likely have netted a championship, but not necessarily taught the driver any more racecraft.

So the move to Konica came, and MW used the speed of the car, and the speed within himself to do a great job of winning despite adversity (two sick engines during the year) and showing speed that would easily qualify him for the main series

Then the step is here to the main series, 2 years ahead of plan, with a confidence from success that you just cant buy, and a level headed, intelligent, thoughtful attitude that is bred not learned.

I doubt its a mistake to stay here and run Supercar, MW is still a kid.... with a bright future ahead of him
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 2 Dec 2003, 06:16 (Ref:801134)   #3
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be great to see him against Bargs next year as long as the team get the money to be at the pointy end.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 06:21 (Ref:801141)   #4
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR....will you be so forgiving if he does not do so well as many before him.

Dont get me wrong I'm a fan of his talent & driving abilities.

So many before him have been given an oppurtunity and for what ever reason have fallen over.....one example of this was Cameron McConvile in DJR Falcon @ Bathurst.....he was in the GTP wilderness with the Warwick Fabrics car for sometime and it has taken him time to get back up there via Orix Audi's & Lansvale
Old 2 Dec 2003, 06:30 (Ref:801144)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mark Winterbottom has shown 2 seasons in a row, in national championships, that he is as good as anyone else out there, if not better. SBR is said to consider MW to be a bit special... and to date, there hasnt been any major incidents or accidents involving MW's car....

Cam McConville had an FF title under his belt and had an accident that was likely his fault that sent him into the wilderness... but he worked hard, and has a L1 Supercar ride again But he could as easily have given up, and disappeared into obscurity.... instead setting up a private Holden with Andersen Consulting backing, the Porsche ride in GTP and the Warwick link into the Orix Audis....

Here's hoping Mark Winterbottom never has to come back from something like that
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 2 Dec 2003, 09:55 (Ref:801279)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest hurdle facing Australians when contemplating an overseas racing career is lack of funds compared to Europeans & South Americans & if Winterbottom can't compete on an equal financial footing to other guys i say it's a smart move to try his hand at the V8's.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:39 (Ref:801448)   #7
overflow
Racer

ok , point taken jetsetter..if i were the SBR , iwould invest in MW's overseas venture...back him with sponsorship for FRENAULT or F3in england or europe & i'm sure they would finish a long way in front on their investment..if it didn't work out they would still have him under contract to come back into V8 supercars....this is a way i think future F1 aspirants will have to go ...private financing from backers who could reap big returns if their driver makes it..
Old 2 Dec 2003, 22:17 (Ref:801915)   #8
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by overflow
ok , point taken jetsetter..if i were the SBR , iwould invest in MW's overseas venture...back him with sponsorship for FRENAULT or F3in england or europe & i'm sure they would finish a long way in front on their investment..
And where would SBR get this money from? :confused:
They need their sponsorship to run cars here, not fund overseas drives.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 22:26 (Ref:801920)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
MW blew some of the established stars away in the unfancied Spectrum, with 2nd in the FF national title. A 2nd year would likely have netted a championship, but not necessarily taught the driver any more racecraft.
Except that the Formula Ford rules prevent the two drivers coming first and second in the National Championship from running in it again...he would, in the long run, have been better off coming third..
Old 2 Dec 2003, 22:27 (Ref:801922)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
The biggest hurdle facing Australians when contemplating an overseas racing career is lack of funds compared to Europeans & South Americans & if Winterbottom can't compete on an equal financial footing to other guys i say it's a smart move to try his hand at the V8's.
I was speaking to James Manderson at Phillip Island on the weekend (good to see him again btw) - and this was exactly his sentiment - he wants to continue overseas next year in F3 - the stumbling block being the proverbial bag of money that is needed.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 23:30 (Ref:801954)   #11
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank God SBR saw the light with Winterbottom. He's gone the right way through the Konicas. Those Formula Ford races with Whincup were fantastic. Thats who I want him to beat in the V8s and I think he will do it easy. Winterbottom will even give a few of the top guys a nudge. Go You Good Thing!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 02:41 (Ref:802083)   #12
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Winterbottom the Money!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 05:20 (Ref:802158)   #13
overflow
Racer

I'm not saying that SBR dive into their excisting budget...what I am saying is that the circle has to be broken...it needs someone to look at another way of financing talented drivers to get o/seas....maybe like Paul Hogan did with Croc Dundee 1...investors who took the chance did very well out of it....surely their is business people out there willing to take that chance....the key to it is that they get a return on their investment.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 05:36 (Ref:802169)   #14
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately, talent alone will not lead to success overseas.

A talented SORF would have a much better chance...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 11:24 (Ref:804621)   #15
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winterbottom is a genuine star, with ability above and beyond most mere mortals who come out of FF.

Only a few really go on to greatness - Perkins, Ingall, Lowndes and the like. Others are good, but never great.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 11:27 (Ref:804624)   #16
Wizzby
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA
Wizzby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DIdn't they start some sort of charity organisation to help drivers overseas? It's run by CAMS or something with Brockie
Old 5 Dec 2003, 11:42 (Ref:804639)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Max Warwick is one of the patrons, and they are already helping young drivers overseas.
Old 6 Dec 2003, 03:55 (Ref:805340)   #18
Zinger
Racer

Zinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a little greddy I like to see the top stars stay in Australia where I can see them all the time. The best in Oz pitted against each other. That way we don't have racing like the Oz Superbikes were all the good Aus riders have ventured overseas. Anyone know the riders in this years Superbike championship ????
Old 6 Dec 2003, 04:54 (Ref:805350)   #19
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MW - the next "kid"

and didn't Mconville stack the DJR car on debut through skyline?