Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: best Le Mans Active driver
Martin Brundle 2 22.22%
David Brabham 0 0%
Jan Lammers 1 11.11%
Tom Kristensen 1 11.11%
Alan Mcnish 0 0%
James Weaver 1 11.11%
Stefan Johansson 0 0%
Emanuele Pirro 2 22.22%
Jan magnussen 0 0%
Yannick Dalmas 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 Nov 2001, 16:17 (Ref:174490)   #1
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best (still driving) Le Mans driver.

Which driver is the best active driver at le Mans?
Old 14 Nov 2001, 18:42 (Ref:174582)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kristensen's recent record speaks for itself. But the truth is that any one of them could win (again in some cases). That's the beauty of Le Mans, the unpredictability (unless you have been an Audi driver for the last 2 years!). But the question was who is the best? I still go for Kristensen.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 19:28 (Ref:174610)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brundle is the best.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 20:41 (Ref:174650)   #4
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dalmas
Old 14 Nov 2001, 21:28 (Ref:174666)   #5
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wayne Taylor
Why is Wayne Taylor not on the list.
He is an allround Sportscar driver and have driven in a lot of different cars with a lot of succes.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 22:10 (Ref:174682)   #6
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I reckon Martin Brundle. He has consistantly been up front in recent years with Toyota and now Bentley. Look at this years race. Bentley wouldn't have been on the pace if it hadn't been for Brundle. He led the race and was their best driver all week. What i can't understand is why he hasn't won it more than once! With the GT1 he was unlucky with a puncture and a crash, and the oil line on the Bentley let go. If he drivers for Bentley again next season, and lets hope both he and Bentley are there, he will again be up the front. I think he would have finished 3rd had he not retired, or higher.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 22:42 (Ref:174701)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having just posted on another thread about Bentley drivers in 2002, I realise now that you've missed out an essential name, Geva - Andy Wallace.

If I can add him in, he gets my vote.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 22:44 (Ref:174704)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
By the way, who voted for James Weaver? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking James, I think he's a fine driver, but I would be interested to read the justification over the others. (Shame James pulled out of the Bentley drive this year.....).
Old 15 Nov 2001, 11:38 (Ref:174857)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why oh, why is Andy Wallace, missing from the list, his record speaks for its self, 1 vectory at Le Mans and 3 other podium finishes, aswell as 3 wins at Daytona, 2 at Sebring + 1 win at Petit Le Mans. Now there is a sportscar racers and a half.
Old 15 Nov 2001, 15:34 (Ref:174919)   #10
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After seeing a certian driver run a 917K at Lime Rock during the Speedvision broadcast of the Porsche Rennsport Reunion, I 'd have to say Jacky Ickx was looking damn good. His record at LeMans is exemplary as well.
Old 15 Nov 2001, 21:10 (Ref:175167)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
After seeing a certian driver run a 917K at Lime Rock during the Speedvision broadcast of the Porsche Rennsport Reunion, I 'd have to say Jacky Ickx was looking damn good. His record at LeMans is exemplary as well.
I took still driving to mean at Le Mans, really, but who could argue with Jacky's record?
Old 15 Nov 2001, 21:58 (Ref:175206)   #12
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 16 Nov 2001, 01:36 (Ref:175277)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of the listed drivers, I'll go with Pirro ... he has not won many races but he's consistent over the long races and when he gets his chance he takes it.

David Brabham and Jan Magnussen are sentimental favourites, but of the listed drivers it's got to be Pirro.

And of the not-listed drivers: ANDY PILGRIM!
Old 16 Nov 2001, 15:24 (Ref:175483)   #14
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it would be great to see what David and Jan could get out of an Audi instead of the lump of coal they are working with. The only guy who had the equipment to take it to the Joest Audi team was Johnny Herbert and he has looked really strong. Sadly, the Champion Audi is now for sale.

Since the equipment is so different, it is difficult to pick who is best, but this thread shows that there is an awfull strong field of drivers to pick from. Before Atlanta, I was willing to just pick Kristensen, but then went off in a big way for no reason. Weaver just keeps on winning, but we need to see him in a competitive ALMS ride. I think my favorite guy has to be Butch Leitzinger. I met him at the Daytona historic races and he is just the nicest fellow. Don't act so surprised, you knew I was going to pick an American.

But outside of the guys who are still driving professionally, Brian Redman is still driving at 10/10ths in his little Chevron and blowing off all the big cars. What a shame he never got a real chance in F-1. And what a shame his luck always deserted him at LeMans, a race he should have won several times.]

Funny, we could never get this many names on a list of F-1 drivers.
Most F-1 greatest driver lists have only two or three names on it. Or maybe just one. But sportscars has lots of heros. Now we just need some more good cars.