Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Nov 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2070095)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans 2008 - Entry List/Driver News

The ACO have published the first list of invites (27 in all) to the 2008 running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The list covers invites based on results from Le Mans 2007, Petit Le Mans 2007, LMS 2007 and ALMS 2007. The list also includes invites to the winners and runners up in both GT1 and GT2 in the 2007 FIA GT Championship (as was the case in 2007 in respect of the 2006 FIA GT Championship). As expected, there are no automatic invites associated with results in the 2007 JLMC.

It also lays to rest any doubts as to whether or not Autocon would be invited. They are!

Entry List (as of 19th November 2007)
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:11 (Ref:2070103)   #2
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, this is...early? Isn't it? I thought they waited until next year at least.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:13 (Ref:2070108)   #3
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good news for the FIA GT crowd as it enables them to sort budgets and cars much earlier than last year
Old 18 Nov 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2070122)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Wow, this is...early? Isn't it? I thought they waited until next year at least.
Well, the preliminary list for 2006 was published mid-January of that year, the preliminary list for this year on or just before 13th December 2006 and for the 2008 race they've brought forward the announcement once again, by almost a month. As 'SebringMG' points out, it's of enormous help to the teams involved.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 13:14 (Ref:2070147)   #5
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm liking the look of some of it, but for example Autocon were second in ALMS, but hardly showed Le Mans worthy pace; also, what will Vitaphone do? Haven't they had an entry for a couple of years now?
Old 18 Nov 2007, 13:43 (Ref:2070165)   #6
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
I'm liking the look of some of it, but for example Autocon were second in ALMS, but hardly showed Le Mans worthy pace; also, what will Vitaphone do? Haven't they had an entry for a couple of years now?
If Autocon do go (60/40 I am told) it will be with a fully updated Creation, so only drivers will keep it off the works pace.

As for Vitaphone, Michael Bartels says he wants to do it - but would eneed to lease a car. See here:-

http://www.gt-eins.at/cms/index.php?...=1998&Itemid=1

BTW Bartels did look @ leasing last year but it was a bit late - more chance this year?

Mariantic
Old 18 Nov 2007, 13:43 (Ref:2070166)   #7
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autocon will unfortunately be a mobile chicane! Vitaphone will have to source another car if they really want to compete....which means an Aston or Corvette.....yawn
Old 18 Nov 2007, 13:44 (Ref:2070167)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, who do we think will drop out from that list (and when do they have to (un-)announce it?) - Penske and Vitaphone didn't take up their invites this year, is there any reason to think they'll have plans for 2008?
Old 18 Nov 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2070198)   #9
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG
Autocon will unfortunately be a mobile chicane! Vitaphone will have to source another car if they really want to compete....which means an Aston or Corvette.....yawn
Or a Saleen; 2004, remember.
Old 18 Nov 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2070203)   #10
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
So, who do we think will drop out from that list (and when do they have to (un-)announce it?) - Penske and Vitaphone didn't take up their invites this year, is there any reason to think they'll have plans for 2008?
Possible drop -outs from this list I think are:-

Penske

Playteam

Autocon (60/40) as I mentioned above

ORECA - but entry could go to team buying a Saleen

Vitaphone - will look @ leases available (this could also apply to Playteam but they've not said anything)

Risi - one will be Krohn again

RML - talk of them going to P1 so could drop P2 entry.

Mariantic
Old 18 Nov 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2070204)   #11
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
That should have read "Entry List (as of 16th November 2007)" (got a bit ahead of myself!).
Old 18 Nov 2007, 15:04 (Ref:2070207)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Saleen's pace wasnt too shabby in 2007 either, 2nd place in class for qualifying at Le Mans.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 18:41 (Ref:2071068)   #13
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantic
Possible drop -outs from this list I think are:-

Penske

Playteam

Autocon (60/40) as I mentioned above

ORECA - but entry could go to team buying a Saleen

Vitaphone - will look @ leases available (this could also apply to Playteam but they've not said anything)

Risi - one will be Krohn again

RML - talk of them going to P1 so could drop P2 entry.

Mariantic
It would seem that the Autocon entry is closer to a 0% chance of dropping out. link

L.P.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:05 (Ref:2071077)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Penske not going is a safe bet. If they didn't go before, I don't see them going now when the P2 rules are more restrictive.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:36 (Ref:2071096)   #15
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
It would seem that the Autocon entry is closer to a 0% chance of dropping out. link

L.P.
Excellent, that's great news! I shall really look forward to following their 'Big Adventure'.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:50 (Ref:2071106)   #16
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I noticed that Audi has two automatic bids. Wouldn't they be entitled to 3, one for winning LeMans last year, one for finishing first in the ALMS Team Championship in P1 and one for finishing first in P1 at PLM?

DK
Old 19 Nov 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2071109)   #17
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
I noticed that Audi has two automatic bids. Wouldn't they be entitled to 3, one for winning LeMans last year, one for finishing first in the ALMS Team Championship in P1 and one for finishing first in P1 at PLM?

DK
Correct, although on the Entry List the ACO appear to have lumped Audi's 1st in ALMS with their 1st at PLM and granted them just one invite to cover those two. Very strange.........
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2071121)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Teams are only allowed two entries per the rules. The next entrant in points in the ALMS obtains their bid, which is Autocon.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:15 (Ref:2071125)   #19
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
Teams are only allowed two entries per the rules. The next entrant in points in the ALMS obtains their bid, which is Autocon.
Of course, I'd forgotten two of the Le Mans entries were under the Audi Sport North America banner. For some reason I had the #1 down as Team Joest in my own mind (senior moment). Mind you, I have little doubt that third invite would be granted if requested.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:30 (Ref:2071145)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Penske not going is a safe bet. If they didn't go before, I don't see them going now when the P2 rules are more restrictive.
Penske will go if Porsche AG helps. Porsche had no interest this past year, as they were still ramping up their program to support customers - and, remember, the Spyder is (was?) a Porsche NA project.

Now, who was the president of PMNA when this project started, and what is he doing now?

Another thought - I would expect that, all throwaway comments aside, Acura is likely to come and run in P2 this year (given the way they scoped out the scene this year, and the way they like to prepare for the future). That way, when their assault in P1 begins, they already know how to run the event. If Acura sends a team or two, wouldn't Porsche want one or two cars there to keep them honest?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Nov 2007, 20:50 (Ref:2071157)   #21
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Of course, I'd forgotten two of the Le Mans entries were under the Audi Sport North America banner. For some reason I had the #1 down as Team Joest in my own mind (senior moment). Mind you, I have little doubt that third invite would be granted if requested.
The Joest entry (which was an auto invite from the 06 race) only made 23 laps so ..... but I am sure you are correct that they will be granted a spot in 08 if asked for.

L.P.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 05:00 (Ref:2071425)   #22
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well 4 entries for FIA teams that great, now I hope that AF Corse will come for true, and teach....Risi lol !

as for Bartels team, why not an Oreca '07 Saleen, it done very well in LMS this year ?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 07:03 (Ref:2071456)   #23
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi
well 4 entries for FIA teams that great, now I hope that AF Corse will come for true, and teach....Risi lol !

as for Bartels team, why not an Oreca '07 Saleen, it done very well in LMS this year ?
he'd have to buy it; and i know i wouldn't bother just for one race, if i were him.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 07:20 (Ref:2071465)   #24
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1

DK
A single team can only get 2 entries. The 3rd R10 was entered as Audi Sport Team Joest whereas the other 2 were Audi Sport North America.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 16:15 (Ref:2076600)   #25
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Penske will go if Porsche AG helps........

If Acura sends a team or two, wouldn't Porsche want one or two cars there to keep them honest?
Personally, I'd be amazed if we saw Penske at Le mans this year, likewise Acura (unless, of course, you are privy to information which would suggest otherwise).

I also reckon we can rule out Dyson (yet again!). In an interview with Chris Dyson on Endurance-Info.com he says "We are always thinking about Le Mans, but doing the race is a bit difficult as the ALMS calendar is so busy and we can't disrupt our championship efforts. Personally, I look forward to returning there and competing again as a driver."