Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Jun 2001, 00:05 (Ref:99546)   #1
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2001

It's time again to dust off that old Le Mans cap & map, find the T shirt. Start the excuses to the girly / wife, hubby, lad, about 'Le Weekend'. One to one with the moth's claiming residnce in the tent and bugs in the BBQ, by now all sorted.

Car serviced, RAC/AA tow back agreed, car hire agreed, tickets recived, ferry booked.

SO WHO IS GOING ??????

Me (plus another 6 10/10 non members). Camp Houx Annex Wednesday PM till Monday AM

Where and when ? Champagne bar Friday PM ???

Simon
Old 1 Jun 2001, 09:05 (Ref:99658)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Me!

People = 12
Camping = Bleu
Time = Weds-Sun
Motors = bright green Ginetta G27, Honda S2000, Audi S3, Pug 306XSi, TVR Griffith and Tuscan.
Fridge = Yes!
Beer = Cold
Seats = ACO
Weather = Sunny!
Old 1 Jun 2001, 18:42 (Ref:99899)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Count us in!

When? - Small hours of Wednesday - Monday
Who? - Three, me, Bluebottle and Hurricane
Camping? - Unofficial - ask us how we got on Monday, but we have a trick or two..
Car? - White Mk2 Granada, old but big and steady.
Beer? - Mais oui.

Look out for us at our favourite spot near Arnage corner, assuming the Granada has not exhibited aerial instability on the Mulsanne straight due to lack of testing.

I hate to say it - but we're well overdue for a wet race, I think. I'm a glass-half-full sort of person, but I'm going to pack a brolly.

Now if I can just afford that lovely green Bentley umbrella with the imitation turned aluminium motif on the material...
Old 1 Jun 2001, 19:55 (Ref:99925)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When? Wee hours of Friday morning 15th June thru podium on Sunday.
Method of Transport: Car, via P&O Stenis from Dover to Calais.

Who? Ten-Tenths Trackside:
Sarah
Craig
Invader
Lee Purnell
Danielsun
Linda
Liz

Two cars, Sarah and Invader are driving so I don't know what the cars look like (Sarah's is a Renault).

Camping: Antares (Airtrack V.I.P.) [next to Houx Annex]

Flags: Six
Brazil
Wales
USA
Britain
Canada
Williams BMW

Members of ACO: 2
Members of Date the Drivers Club: 3 [And we spent $450 each to join!]
Old 1 Jun 2001, 20:37 (Ref:99946)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Granada was fine on the Mulsanne in 1999, but we're running less rear downforce this time (no bikes on the back) so who knows what might happen- a quick call to Mr Newey might help....
We're travelling by Le Shuttle at some unearthly hour on the Thursday.

Last edited by Bluebottle; 1 Jun 2001 at 20:38.
Old 2 Jun 2001, 05:50 (Ref:100061)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You can add my rather splendid Bentley flag to that list, Liz, and i'll bring the 10 Tenths banner too... Invader, you can leave the B&Q flag at home...!
Old 2 Jun 2001, 09:36 (Ref:100093)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
rather splendid Bentley flag
The mind boggles...
Old 3 Jun 2001, 14:36 (Ref:100505)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Really ?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 17:17 (Ref:100640)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to mention Daniel's Aussie flag too. We might be able to start the United Nations by the time we get all these flags up!

Maybe we will make the Friday Afternoon Radio Le Mans Walkthrough! (They walk through the campsites and talk to people on the air. It could happen ... )
Old 3 Jun 2001, 17:20 (Ref:100643)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Oh, and the chequered flag which we 'acquired' from Thruxton could come too, I guess...

Who does this walkabout ? Alan Hyde ?
Old 3 Jun 2001, 17:33 (Ref:100650)   #11
SL
Veteran

Radio Le Mans starts at 12 noon Wednesday until 2000 Sunday.

Camp site roadshow is at 19 / 1930 on Friday PM. Presented by John Hindhaugh. They have compititions live on air from the campsite as they drive though. Watch out for a couple of usually black 4x4's. Can be quite funny as many on the sites have had quite a bit to drink by then.

Simon
Old 3 Jun 2001, 22:19 (Ref:100748)   #12
SL
Veteran

I forgot to mention.

If anyone has any questions about Le Mans please feel free to ask.

If it be from how to get there to the best toilets on the track, I would be pleased to give my views. I have been every year bar 3 since 1978, my brother every year since 1980. Most of the info is available on hard disc as we just update it each year on return.

Simon
Old 3 Jun 2001, 23:45 (Ref:100775)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay then - what's the phone number of the third Hawaiian Tropic girl from the right? The little redhead.
Old 4 Jun 2001, 15:06 (Ref:101038)   #14
Liz
Veteran

There are no good toilets at Le Mans. Bring your own.

Seriously, though, the only halfway decent ones I found are the ones at our campsite, which are cleaned hourly. For every other one, bring seat covers and your own bog roll, and by Sunday be prepared to burn your shoes.

The only question I have is "Is there a hypermarket we can walk to, within 10 minutes or so?"
Old 4 Jun 2001, 18:37 (Ref:101111)   #15
SL
Veteran

Liz,

Nearest Hypermarket is the Carrefour, about 20 min walk from campsite, there are some smaller shops on the way. From Tertre Rouge, head into LM town. Hypermarket on right.

Semi decent loo's on the inside of Dunlop Curve, just before getting into 'Le Village' from Houx. Brick building, pitched roof.

I can second the bog roll provision.

Tip : Tie string through the roll so you can hand it around your neck. Then it will not drop on the floor.

Simon

PS Sorry Tim cannot help with the red head, now the blond on the end.........
Old 5 Jun 2001, 07:32 (Ref:101363)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Liz,

It's only a 5min walk to the bus stop at the cemetery from the main gates, the bus will take you to right outside the Carrefour.

The bestest toilets are in the ACO grandstand.

Aren't the toilets on the inside of the Dunlop curve of the 'squat' variety?
Old 5 Jun 2001, 14:43 (Ref:101465)   #17
Liz
Veteran

I saw enough of that sort in Italy. Even the portaloo is preferable to that, and they are a last resort in an emergency too. Talk about survival of the fittest!

Thanks for the information on the hypermarkets. We're going to try to shop on the way down, but you never know what you may find you lack when you get there.
Old 6 Jun 2001, 13:35 (Ref:101820)   #18
tom
Rookie

tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
am thinking of going to le mans
i need to know how hard it is to organise a trip 2 the race
would be going in one car
cheers
Old 6 Jun 2001, 15:21 (Ref:101877)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Depends on what you want. We started organizing our trip in January and it just finished coming together last Thursday! But you may have a smaller group and not quite such high expectations - and you may all be in the same country, which we are not.

But if you want to get GA tickets and sleep in your car, I should think that would be easily arranged on the day. Just the ferry to arrange, really.
Old 6 Jun 2001, 16:59 (Ref:101899)   #20
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Tom,

Like Liz says, if you're just going for the weekend then you can just turn up and pay to park and buy a ticket on the door (300FF).

You might have difficulty finding a ferry at this late stage but the tunnel should still be good.

Other than that it's easy, just follow all the other British cars from the port...

You'll have to sleep in your car or sneak into a campsite on foot (although by the day of the race there won't be any space).

Check out the Circuit Guide on this site, as well as http://www.club-arnage.com for all the info.
Old 7 Jun 2001, 18:15 (Ref:102303)   #21
tom
Rookie

tom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers guys
Old 13 Jun 2001, 00:23 (Ref:104559)   #22
Liz
Veteran

ATTENTION AIRTRACKERS

All tickets, ferry passes, and camping stickers have arrived safe and sound and on time, and will be distributed at Silverstone.

Sarah, I have your pitlane ticket with me. Everyone is paid up at the hostel, but anyone who has not paid me in person should pay Craig instead. (11 GBP each. Sarah has paid.) Anyone not a member of the Youth Hostel organization has to join at the hostel.

Our ferry leaves at 6:15 a.m. from Dover. There could be an extra charge if we decide to take a different sailing, so be prepared to leave VERY EARLY. This way we can make the drivers' parade.

Your Tour Maven -

Liz