Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Dec 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3599914)   #1601
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So I'm crashing at mums over Xmas to be with the family and going through the stuff I have in storage I found a few Le Mans review DVD 2003/4/5 as well as some of my sportscar book collection which admittedly isn't very big. That'll do nicely
Good years - my collection of footage started with a Duke offer of getting the 2002/03/04 DVDs for not very much - still have a lot of fondness for those reviews.

Enjoy!
Old 24 Dec 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3599925)   #1602
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
OK, So What Do We Talk About Between This Year's Le Mans and Next Year's.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Good years - my collection of footage started with a Duke offer of getting the 2002/03/04 DVDs for not very much - still have a lot of fondness for those reviews.

Enjoy!

Thanks will do .

It's a real trip down memory lane. Audi R8, beautiful green Bentley, Pescarolo, Panoz, Courage, Ferrari v Corvette-those gorgeous 550s, privateer Saleen and Vipers in GTS, a couple of Ferrari vs a fleet of Porsches in GT2 with Kevin Buckler accusing the Ferrari of sandbagging in quali-now it's a fleet of Ferraris v some Porsches.

Good times. Next up 2004
Old 24 Dec 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3599982)   #1603
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Today's RLM Duke reviews are obviously better than those of the noughties, you know with the clone formats to each other, but I think there's still some charm and they are more informative to non diehards than current ones.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3600955)   #1604
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ACO press people are trying a little bit too hard to come up with something to write about in off season, this isn't the first instance by any means but took the carrot

http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/ge...746_23060.html

- Lucas had podrace scene in Phantom Turd
- Lucas did a student film about cars/competition in university
- Lucas had period 1950s cars in his 1950's period film
- Lucas visits F1 Grand Prixes
= Connection to Le Mans, naturally.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3601030)   #1605
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So I'm crashing at mums over Xmas to be with the family and going through the stuff I have in storage I found a few Le Mans review DVD 2003/4/5 as well as some of my sportscar book collection which admittedly isn't very big. That'll do nicely
2005 was the first Le Mans DVD I ever got as I couldn't watch the race for some reason but my parents were going to tape what parts of the race eurosport were showing for me on a vhs (those were the days ). However they forgot to tape it on Saturday and so the DVD review was part of my birthday present. By far it is the Le Mans DVD I watch the most and if I ever need cheering up it does the trick. Might go and watch 2005 tomorrow morning now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Today's RLM Duke reviews are obviously better than those of the noughties, you know with the clone formats to each other, but I think there's still some charm and they are more informative to non diehards than current ones.
I do wonder if as a kid, I would have preferred the format back then to now as it showed more of the atmosphere surrounding the race which makes Le Mans different to other races and drew me into loving it enough to talk about it on online forums .

However, don't think that I'm not happy with the current 4 hour length with lots of the race as that'd great it's just the older reviews had there postives as well
Old 30 Dec 2015, 18:49 (Ref:3601034)   #1606
Deleted
Veteran

The amusing thing about current RLM reviews comes when Sam Collins says Pescarolo instead of Morgan and so on, ie not embracing what the marketing overlords are trying to feed to us (something I fully subscribe to!). They didn't even cut off when he insisted on referring to the 'Alpine' as Oreca when it got stuck in the kitty litter at night... wonder what ACO thinks of that, have they even participated in the editing process or saw the final product hehe
Old 30 Dec 2015, 18:51 (Ref:3601035)   #1607
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone who hasn't already ought to go back and watch the DVDs (if they exist - I'm sure they do) of the races from the mid 80's to the mid 90's - until they stopped using the RLM commentary and used the appalling added-on commentary. I had all the original SportSeen VHS tapes which I converted to DVD long ago. I must have watched the 1990 one dozens of times over the years.....
Old 30 Dec 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3601037)   #1608
Deleted
Veteran

Was 1995 the last RLM commentary before these new ones, I don't remember but it's the last I have.

I have 1993 and 1994 as US highlight airings with Alain de Cadenet, they're bit cheesy but awesome
Old 30 Dec 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3601039)   #1609
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
'89 to '95 are the ones I have with RLM commentary. Also 2013 on Bluray as a prize from Hindy and Eve for beating both teams with a listener question on last year's Christmas Quiz.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3601040)   #1610
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Chiana, I believe so. But I also recall it being quite short too.

My favourites were during the RLM time with both Trussers and Alan Titchmarsh, who worked wonderfully together, with Martin Haven chipping in occasionally. I still remember the '89 video, which I think was Hindy's 'debut' where he is basically told off by Bob Constanduros for interrupting an interview to give news of the WM Peugeot on fire. Bob claimed it wasn't really news, as it was only to be expected.......
Old 30 Dec 2015, 21:55 (Ref:3601069)   #1611
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
All of this feels like a great challenge to go and revisit my archive of early(ish) Le Mans highlights footage and document which versions I have (there's got to be a metadata field there for that right?).

On a sort of related note, the shorter review videos are a lot more consumable than the more recent Duke 4 hour productions - and I suspect are more likely to convince someone to maybe go to the event. The Duke videos, beautifully produced as they are, provide nothing in terms of context to the ingenue, and even for the die hard such as me, present an often unpalatable volume of coverage (realistically when do any of us have a four hour run at things to watch footage?).
Old 30 Dec 2015, 22:21 (Ref:3601079)   #1612
Deleted
Veteran

Well the Duke reviews are for nerds who seek for it specifically really anyway... the simplified '52 ACO highlights for masses

For those of us not actually attending the 24, this 4 hour show is really nothing in comparison to the time I spend in that June week just watching the screen... you know 24h race + 6h Q + 4h FP + ~1h Warmup + ~1h Legends (+potent for second support +1h) + ES Filler shows ~7x25min, and that's just the live shows, add to that all the other random old LM doc stuff I squeeze into it. Plus of course the McQueen film. And you're in astronomical viewing hours within short timeframe.. and I do not miss any of it guaranteed
Old 31 Dec 2015, 08:53 (Ref:3601140)   #1613
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I only found out today (in today's issue of Autosport, which has stories on "fast failures") that one of the contributing factors to Lancia pulling its Group C program, besides the Toivonen crash that also killed Group B, was one of their test drivers being killed while testing an LC2 just a week before the WSPC was due to race at Norisring in '86.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3601141)   #1614
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Chiana, I believe so. But I also recall it being quite short too.

My favourites were during the RLM time with both Trussers and Alan Titchmarsh, who worked wonderfully together, with Martin Haven chipping in occasionally. I still remember the '89 video, which I think was Hindy's 'debut' where he is basically told off by Bob Constanduros for interrupting an interview to give news of the WM Peugeot on fire. Bob claimed it wasn't really news, as it was only to be expected.......
1989, Pascal Pessiot's WM on fire :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uULL0OCY5o
Old 31 Dec 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3601230)   #1615
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
1989, Pascal Pessiot's WM on fire :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uULL0OCY5o
That's the one - with the commentary I mentioned - 2 mins 54 secs.......
Old 2 Jan 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3601636)   #1616
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brilliant
Old 4 Jan 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3602058)   #1617
Deleted
Veteran

Don't think the press people got the memo about Porsche abandoning the GTE campaign

-Will Porsche maintain its domination in the World Championship, both in prototypes and in GT?
http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/th...ml#prettyPhoto
Old 4 Jan 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3602068)   #1618
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Don't think the press people got the memo about Porsche abandoning the GTE campaign

-Will Porsche maintain its domination in the World Championship, both in prototypes and in GT?
http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/th...ml#prettyPhoto
Proton Competition's WEC GTE-Pro effort will be a very very very thinly-disguised one-car factory effort, like the Felbermayr-Proton-branded entry in 2009-2010 with 3 Porsche factory drivers and Norbert Singer keeping an eye on things. Also remember the two IMSA works entries might be making their way to Le Mans.
Old 4 Jan 2016, 22:52 (Ref:3602099)   #1619
Deleted
Veteran

Yeah the factory Porsches will (not might ) get those LM entries, but the quote was talking about the Champ not LM only

I see the Proton just as AF Corse, quite official... but still not quite.

Will they actually enter the WEC LMGTE manu championship now with the one half-car? Remember ACO demands fee for participating in that as well... and if Porsche wants to save money they could skip that and just let Proton run for the teams and drivers trophy, as well as representing class in general...

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Jan 2016 at 22:58.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 19:15 (Ref:3612430)   #1620
Deleted
Veteran

Wait what this bland photoshop is the actual official event poster of the race? I mean not that there have been good ACO posters for while now (that is one area where IMSA still wins), but when I saw this one in the conference I thought it was just some random powerpoint slide background to message the new slogans.

Last edited by Deleted; 6 Feb 2016 at 19:23.
Old 6 Feb 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3612491)   #1621
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I must admit, it is hugely disappointing.......

I usually use the poster as my desktop for a while, but not this time, I'm afraid.....
Old 6 Feb 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3612512)   #1622
Deleted
Veteran

And they actually hired agency from Paris to do that one...

ACO will also start publishing physical magazine of sorts (where? how?) starting June and issues going on sale every 3 months, french and english

Old 7 Feb 2016, 09:52 (Ref:3612722)   #1623
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So why not use that shot as the basis for the poster.......??
Old 7 Feb 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3612732)   #1624
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
would be a whole lot better than that horrid one we seem to be having, wonder if porsche have paid them to use it.
Old 7 Feb 2016, 19:30 (Ref:3612831)   #1625
antonylight
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cobham
antonylight should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridantonylight should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2016 Poster

The ACO still continue to use the word "Mythique" which obviously translates in English to mythic or mythical meaning "fictitious, imaginary or without foundation"!
I assume they mean Legendary but I suppose that wouldn't fit with Unique and Magique!