Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Dec 2011, 09:38 (Ref:3004749)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Your Le Mans 'Inventory' - Have You Bought Anything New to Take Next Year?

I guess we all have our essentials and our checklists to make sure all the essentials make it into the car (coach, RV, train etc. etc.) but even after as many years as I've been I'm still refining my lists of stuff and my major change of plans in 2010 has caused me to think even harder about what essentials and creature comforts I ought to take with me to Le Mans each year.

Last year I added a travel kettle, a portable DVD player and (for the first time ever) a laptop to my inventory. (It is perhaps worth noting that I don't camp...... )

This year, my new 'bits' are in the main photographic, with a new (to me) camera, a new lens and grip, plus a hip flask to put something warming in to keep me going in those wee hours on Saturday night/Sunday morning!

How about you?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 09:47 (Ref:3004750)   #2
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in 2011 the people camped next to use asked if we had a dust pan and brush they could borrow. Thought they were joking, but no, bit of a tumble weed moment when we realised that, then we went our separate ways.

So in 2012 we will pack one, and also a dressing gown they had those as well. Cut quite a dash on the stroll of shame to the shower block.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 09:48 (Ref:3004751)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And slippers? I'll certainly be taking those!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:24 (Ref:3004765)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hip flask is a very decent shout.

One thing I was slightly mortified about this year was that you couldn't buy any of those cheap disposable BBQ's at Carrefour. Will definitely be stocking up on a few of them next year plus a slightly better quality of radio.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:27 (Ref:3004767)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
On a associated subject, did anyone get anything Le Mans related for Crimbo?
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:57 (Ref:3004773)   #6
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting to note, Ayse, that you've added a laptop to your inventory. Some years ago I added an inventory to my laptop....

Every year it is refined a little with minor changes. My age means an increasing number of "senior moments" so I find it useful. Oddly enough, it's not the small items that are forgotten: one year I packed all I needed, but totally forgot to take any clothing. Auchan in Calais did well out of me that year.

Father Christmas arrived late at The Old Manse this year, so it was only last night that he brought a brand new gas barbecue that will replace the old model which finally met its end this last summer in a minor uncontrolled conflagration brought about by a surfeit of ferrous oxide. The new model is slightly larger, which means we can now cater for over twenty with ease.

A further addition to next summer's inventory will be the slow cooker. Two joints of brisket of beef, cooked slowly for around five hours, leaving plenty of space on the gas barbecue for the Yorkshires and the Roasties.......
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:59 (Ref:3004774)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've always known you do things with some style my friend, but that's making my mouth water!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 15:55 (Ref:3004852)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I received a model of a BMW M1 art car that raced at my first Le Mans in 1980.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 16:17 (Ref:3004859)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh and one other thing I've bought in readiness - thermal long johns! In 2010 I was cold during the night as I forgot to carry a jumper and a decent coat with me, forgetting that I wouldn't have the luxury of a trip back to a hotel to re-organise before the night stint. This year, I had a good thick jumper and a warm coat, but didn't anticipate just how cold the night was going to be - the coldest that I ever remember. So the cold bit into my legs through the thin trousers I was wearing and I couldn't feel my legs by dawn! Not so for 2012! Of course, it'll be a warm and balmy night this time, I suppose, but if I consume the contents of my hip flask (Calvados, of course!), I probably won't care!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 17:59 (Ref:3004891)   #10
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Oh and one other thing I've bought in readiness - thermal long johns!
Hah. Luckily I was warned the first time I went to Le Mans, and my bag always includes a set of Icebreakers' finest, plus Icelandic wool socks, for the inevitable nighttime commissaire shift. If my luggage ever got searched en route I think they'd wonder what the heck I was doing on my June vacation!
keke
Old 29 Dec 2011, 13:42 (Ref:3005148)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I always pack a set of the hi tech base layers used for skiing - these are very light, fold into nothing so dont take up space in your bag and are very effective at night.

As for new things - its too early for next year for me to think about it, bust last we took a draught beer set up for the first time with an instant flash cooler - which was very effective.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 18:25 (Ref:3005236)   #12
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
For me it will be a new Lens for my Camera . The Canon 70 -200 L is my Favorite .Just looking for a good Offer .
Old 29 Dec 2011, 20:36 (Ref:3005293)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm looking for a deal on a COBB BBQ/oven thingy. Geezer at work has one, and swears by it. I suspect it may become a camping essential.
Oh, and upgrade from tent to camper van! I miss my old VW something rotten...
Old 30 Dec 2011, 15:09 (Ref:3005556)   #14
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have added a 70-200mm lens for this year's trip. Possibly investing in a good quality solar charger.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 15:54 (Ref:3005565)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haha, 24 hour sleeping tablet, ah no wait its Le Mans. I wont need one!
Old 30 Dec 2011, 18:39 (Ref:3005620)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Nor will you need it afterwards, because you'll be staying up, all night - won't you?!!
Old 31 Dec 2011, 18:33 (Ref:3005917)   #17
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Must remember Imodium this year. Upset Tummy quite spoiled last year...
Old 3 Jan 2012, 20:36 (Ref:3006875)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
with my usual camping shops Blacks/millets on the brink of closing I was hoping to pick up some new stuff at bargain prices but after looking in several shops over the holiday i could find nothing new, but I am taking the new jag down this year so that will be a change from the old Rover (last 7 years with me) which will be there for trip no 8 with my daughter.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3007381)   #19
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

I'm making my first ever trip this year along with my dad. I really can't wait.

Possibly a strange question, do they sell Cider at the bars? (i'm abit of a picky drinker)

I know they sell it at events over here however I'm not sure if this is a popular drink in France.

Just wondering whether to bring my own cans !

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 4 Jan 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3007404)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hi James, good to have you on board for 2012 - I shall have to take some of my 'da brudders' t-shirts with me......

Yes, you can get cider here and there, but from my point of view, the cider in France is generally much better than is normally available over here. I love cider, but I rarely drink the stuff they serve up in pubs - and ice? Who was it who thought up putting ice in cider.....?

The only place I know for sure at the circuit is one of the bars out at Arnage which sells lovely local French stuff by the bottle. Fabulous with lunch on a Sunday afternoon! But I'm sure you can get it elsewhere and even the 'ordinary' stuff in the supermarkets.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 22:06 (Ref:3007405)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm making my first ever trip this year along with my dad. I really can't wait.

Possibly a strange question, do they sell Cider at the bars? (i'm abit of a picky drinker)

I know they sell it at events over here however I'm not sure if this is a popular drink in France.

Just wondering whether to bring my own cans !
I've certainly drunk cider at the circuit on a number of occasions, but admittedly not in the last few years. But, Brittany and Normandy are renowned for their apple based drinks. Breton and Normandy ciders (the good ones) are 'to die for', in my opinion, as is Calvados. You will find an excellent selection in the nearby supermarkets.
Old 4 Jan 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3007414)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The next task then for Bentley and I is probably to wean you off British cider and introduce you to the good French stuff!
Old 5 Jan 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3007615)   #23
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The next task then for Bentley and I is probably to wean you off British cider and introduce you to the good French stuff!
Any outsider reading may start to think Le Mans is some sort of beer and wine festival instead of a 24 hours sportscar race.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3007687)   #24
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I've certainly drunk cider at the circuit on a number of occasions, but admittedly not in the last few years. But, Brittany and Normandy are renowned for their apple based drinks. Breton and Normandy ciders (the good ones) are 'to die for', in my opinion, as is Calvados. You will find an excellent selection in the nearby supermarkets.
James - Have you been affected by Ayse's belief that anyone who drinks in Le Mans is a barbaric infidel?
Old 5 Jan 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3007689)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
Any outsider reading may start to think Le Mans is some sort of beer and wine festival instead of a 24 hours sportscar race.
It is - or have I been missing something for 25 years?