Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jan 2012, 14:10 (Ref:3007701)   #26
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm making my first ever trip this year along with my dad. I really can't wait.

Possibly a strange question, do they sell Cider at the bars? (i'm abit of a picky drinker)

I know they sell it at events over here however I'm not sure if this is a popular drink in France.

Just wondering whether to bring my own cans !
You best bet for Cidre de Normandie is to stop off en route and pick some up from a local producer.

Alternatively as James says there is plenty available in the Super U in Arnage and this will be far better than any available from within the circuit and much much cheaper.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3007702)   #27
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
James - Have you been affected by Ayse's belief that anyone who drinks in Le Mans is a barbaric infidel?
Not at all, but as his chauffeur, I am expected to remain sober at all times, whilst on duty.

Old 5 Jan 2012, 14:53 (Ref:3007715)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Have added a 70-200mm lens for this year's trip. Possibly investing in a good quality solar charger.
I have bought a new camera. Not technically for Le Mans, but you don't buy a big lens for portraits.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3007736)   #29
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I have bought a new camera. Not technically for Le Mans, but you don't buy a big lens for portraits.
They do use the 70-200 a lot for portraits u know :P. I'm looking to buy a 100-400 this year. I used one at Spa-Francorchamps this year with a borrowed Canon 7D and, although I was and still am a novice, shot some great photo's.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3007746)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Depends how far away from the subject you are I suppose , but 300mm is a bit OTT.

I am after the 100-400mm canon, but it is one many things on the list so may stick with the cheapo 75-300mm for this year.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3007798)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
James - Have you been affected by Ayse's belief that anyone who drinks in Le Mans is a barbaric infidel?

Oh no, you misunderstand me Mal, James and I are happy to have the odd drink - it's de rigeur - but what bugs me (reasonably or not) is the concept that imbibing vast quantities of beer is necessary to have a great time at Le Mans - it isn't - IMO. But I've no problem with those who like the approach - as long as they behave reasonably well!

Quote:
Depends how far away from the subject you are I suppose , but 300mm is a bit OTT. I am after the 100-400mm canon, but it is one many things on the list so may stick with the cheapo 75-300mm for this year.
You need to remember as well that on a digital SLR, a 100-400 lens is substantially longer! I've got myself a new lens too, modest, just the 55-250 but with IS for the first time. Last year my 100-300 developed a fault and constantly failed if I zoomed over 150mm. Frustrating at the time, but actually, perfectly adequate.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3007805)   #32
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not bought specifically for Le Mans, but I know Ayse will be relieved to hear that Doris has been retired, and that the younger and equally attractive Emily will be accompanying us on our 2012 pilgrimage to Le Mans.

Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3007825)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The term 'Lost in France' could certainly have been coined just for Doris.....

I'm looking forward to meeting Emily. I just hope she can live up to her predecessor's reputation......
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3007844)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
You need to remember as well that on a digital SLR, a 100-400 lens is substantially longer! I've got myself a new lens too, modest, just the 55-250 but with IS for the first time. Last year my 100-300 developed a fault and constantly failed if I zoomed over 150mm. Frustrating at the time, but actually, perfectly adequate.
Good point. It just you always want something bigger.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3007851)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Don't you just.....

What am I saying - of course I don't!!!
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3007871)   #36
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The term 'Lost in France' could certainly have been coined just for Doris.....

I'm looking forward to meeting Emily. I just hope she can live up to her predecessor's reputation......
I'm rather hoping she doesn't!

Oh, nearly forgot......I shall be purchasing a 12v/mains powered coolbox before June. Just need to decide size/make/model, but I think it'll be very useful, both in car and hotel room.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3007872)   #37
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm making my first ever trip this year along with my dad. I really can't wait.

Possibly a strange question, do they sell Cider at the bars? (i'm abit of a picky drinker)

I know they sell it at events over here however I'm not sure if this is a popular drink in France.

Just wondering whether to bring my own cans !
Stella Artois do a cider or Cidre as they like to call it. From what I have seen after numerous trips to France Stella is in good supply.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3007888)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, true, but as others have said, there is a bountiful supply of excellent cidre in the supermarches. I doubt you'll go thirsty!
Old 5 Jan 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3007901)   #39
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only thing I can not forget this year is my economics textbook.

I have an economics A-level on the 20th of June.

My attendance this year is risky.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3007904)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Risky? Nonsense. You've got overnight on the 19th to learn it all. That's what I used to do. Photographic memory which lasted about 48 hours...... (and I'm 'professionally' qualified...... )
Old 5 Jan 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3007905)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Many moons ago I missed Le Mans because of a Business Studies exam on the Saturday!
ginger, surely you know most of it by now anyway?!
Old 5 Jan 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3007906)   #42
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you didn't go I imagine you'd just watch the whole thing on telly. You may as well be there. Revise before/when you get back. You could have even crammed some in at the race last year with all those safety cars!
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3007975)   #43
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Many moons ago I missed Le Mans because of a Business Studies exam on the Saturday!
ginger, surely you know most of it by now anyway?!
Yeah, I shouldn't be leaving my revision to the last minute anyway, right? I mean, if I don't know it by Le Mans I won't know it anyway. Or something like that
Old 6 Jan 2012, 00:40 (Ref:3007976)   #44
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If you didn't go I imagine you'd just watch the whole thing on telly. You may as well be there. Revise before/when you get back. You could have even crammed some in at the race last year with all those safety cars!
This has been my argument. I know I won't get any revision done at all when the race is on. I didn't last year, even in the safety car periods!

Missed the last two races with exams, and I can't miss a third in a row. Things will get even trickier at university so this may be my last in a while.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3008095)   #45
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
They do use the 70-200 a lot for portraits u know :P. I'm looking to buy a 100-400 this year. I used one at Spa-Francorchamps this year with a borrowed Canon 7D and, although I was and still am a novice, shot some great photo's.

*hides Nikon D3000*

As a journo I have constant envy at the snappers I work with's equipment.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3008100)   #46
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
This has been my argument. I know I won't get any revision done at all when the race is on. I didn't last year, even in the safety car periods!

Missed the last two races with exams, and I can't miss a third in a row. Things will get even trickier at university so this may be my last in a while.

Le Mans is a great adventure, but at the end of the day it's only a week long. If you study hard beforehand, having a week off before one final brush up before your exam isn't going to kill you.

Regarding University, you might want to have a look at the calendar for your chosen Uni. With my Uni, the last week of May was the last exam week of the year normally. You might not have anything to worry about!
Old 6 Jan 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3008114)   #47
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
*hides Nikon D3000*

As a journo I have constant envy at the snappers I work with's equipment.
I was lucky with the opportunity to borrow that combo. It served me very well. After that I decided to buy my own DSLR, but that is only a Canon 40D but I try to use it whenever I can.
Old 6 Jan 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3008224)   #48
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Plenty of 10D and 20D trackside when I was over there.
Nowt wrong with that. Still plenty of Semi-Pro kit, with shorter lenses out there.
But I DO get jealous of the guys with D3 and 800mm. Until you HAVE to carry it!
My old Olympus kit MUST be replaced this year. Just don't tell my wife!!!
Old 6 Jan 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3008260)   #49
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Oh, nearly forgot......I shall be purchasing a 12v/mains powered coolbox before June. Just need to decide size/make/model, but I think it'll be very useful, both in car and hotel room.
Hotel room, yes. But check amperage on the 12V draw, or you'll be one of the poor guys at the end running around looking for a jumpstart. Unless the European models are better, they have a tendency to flatten the battery.

The good thing is, they are usually so well insulated that even unplugged they will keep things cool for a pretty long time, especially if insulated from sun by a blanket, etc.

(Note I said sun, Ayse? I figure since I can't afford to go this year you should have marvelous weather.)
keke
Old 6 Jan 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3008307)   #50
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Risky? Nonsense. You've got overnight on the 19th to learn it all. That's what I used to do. Photographic memory which lasted about 48 hours...... (and I'm 'professionally' qualified...... )
I didn't realise you had been going to Le Mans since your university days Ayse?