Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Apr 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3061913)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chef Radio Le Mans - Le Mans 2012

A read of Trussers Blog this morning has prompted me to open a thread for 2012 RLM questions/queries/comments.

The reason? Well, it was the news Paul broke of the decision of Graham Tyler, a RLM 'institution', not to be part of the 2012 commentary team.

For Graham, simply, Le Mans is no longer the magical place it once was, but do take the time to read for yourselves what he said to Trussers.

Sad news. The 2012 RLM team will, in my opinion, be very much the poorer for his absence.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 10:44 (Ref:3061944)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Extremely sad, but not surprising as we already heard very, very little of him last year (only LM and Le Castellet come to mind).

Graham was/is one of the best motorsport voices ever for me, and as for his numerous FIA GT adventures - he and Nichols were the heart of that series in it's twilight years
Old 19 Apr 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3062169)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
as long as i can remember Graham has been there on RLM he will be missed and I hope he returns even just to watch the race and perhaps be interviewed by the others in future years
Old 19 Apr 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3062284)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The loss of the superb Mr. Tyler is a great one as far as I'm concerned. A real shame.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3062307)   #5
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah definitely a shame. Interesting that he's decided to go now in the diesel era, especially after such an amazing race last year.

But whatever his reasons, thanks to Graham for his services to broadcasting and sportscar racing.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 02:31 (Ref:3062404)   #6
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A real shame but reading Trussers blog I can understand some of the reasons why. I guess nothing lasts forever.
If Ian Tichmarsh still available it would be great to hear his voice back on RLM
Old 20 Apr 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3062745)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not likely.

Not likely at all.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3062750)   #8
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real shame, never get enough of Mr T.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3062833)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, I always thought Titchmarsh and Trussers was the perfect commentating partnership......
Old 21 Apr 2012, 01:20 (Ref:3062900)   #10
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, I always thought Titchmarsh and Trussers was the perfect commentating partnership......
Likewise
Old 21 Apr 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3063019)   #11
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Me too!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3064858)   #12
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree, although also slightly agree with his reasons.
Two of my stalewart members of my group of tourists are not attending this year and even I haven't booked anything yet.
My trip down will certainly also be shorter (by a day or two), which, although not likely to have anywhere near the impact on others as Graham's absence, is perhaps symbolic that LM may be losing a little of its appeal to more than just Graham.

[PS: Can't beleive I just typed that - maybe I'm having a grumpy week or a crisis!]
Old 24 Apr 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3064895)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I feel the same with respect to what they have done to the track , the diesel sounds , the vertical fin ..... a lot of the magic is gone , now , sadly a distant memory of times past .
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3065068)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, there have been a lot of changes, the majority not for the better - but when I think that, I turn the clock back just under a year - to the best race I've seen at Le Mans. Maybe this year doesn't look so promising on paper - but nor did 1992, and I thought that was a good race in the end. The important thing for me is that none of the magic has gone - in fact, since 2010, it's been far more magical for me, as I get to see ALL of it!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 06:50 (Ref:3065253)   #15
Bentley Mulsanne
Rookie

Bentley Mulsanne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, there have been a lot of changes, the majority not for the better - but when I think that, I turn the clock back just under a year - to the best race I've seen at Le Mans. Maybe this year doesn't look so promising on paper - but nor did 1992, and I thought that was a good race in the end. The important thing for me is that none of the magic has gone - in fact, since 2010, it's been far more magical for me, as I get to see ALL of it!
I concur.
Sure the lack of noise from the front running diesels isn't popular amongst the purists, but that's just the way it is currently, but things will change, they always do. Vertical fins? are people serious that these contribute to not feeling the same about this most prestigious of races? I don't buy it.

Who knows what Porsche are planning for 2014? It's not over yet folks, far from it.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3065322)   #16
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
OK NOW STOP THIS!!

Sorry but you are talking about the greatest motor race in the world...PERIOD..(ERM...with the exception of a certain six hour race in Norfolk the week after next!). yes times have changed....but unfortunately they do!

I dont particularly like Tertre Rouge anymore...its far too lite of a night and takes away the magic of that corner in my eyes....but in others eyes...its an improvement (its not by the way as ITS JUST NOT!!! ha ha)

I am very sad to hear that GT will not be part of the team this year, I am happy though, that it is his decision and no one elses. Whoever takes his place has to fill rather large and very well trodden boots and that will not be easy, because he was and still is (in my book) one of the greatest.

I am due on Midweek Motorsport tonight, talkin about 360 so will ask Hindy about it.

Dont dis my favourite race though guys.......if you look out the window now...its pouring down.....close ya eyes .and head south.........suddenly its June and the warm air flows across your face...its just coming up to three (used to be four) and the Audi R8 sports car is just about to peel off right handed any second now....into the pit lane as behind him like some rolling roaring army comes the orchestral roar (even with fins) that begins to hit your ears and the rumble that begins to vibrate your chest (easy fella's) ............And LE MANS IS GO FOR ANOTHER YEAR..........

Fifty Five Start .....you know the rest!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3065323)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I feel the same with respect to what they have done to the track , the diesel sounds , the vertical fin ..... a lot of the magic is gone , now , sadly a distant memory of times past .
I agree with all the above points and (as a grumpy old man who first went to La Sarthe in 1965 ) many of those things that made it such a special event have now been lost, many of them for ever.
Anyway, back to the thread, and whilst Radio Le Mans will, I'm sure, provide their usual stunning coverage, Graham Tyler will be sorely missed.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3065329)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
OK NOW STOP THIS!!

Sorry but you are talking about the greatest motor race in the world...PERIOD..(ERM...with the exception of a certain six hour race in Norfolk the week after next!). yes times have changed....but unfortunately they do!

I dont particularly like Tertre Rouge anymore...its far too lite of a night and takes away the magic of that corner in my eyes....but in others eyes...its an improvement (its not by the way as ITS JUST NOT!!! ha ha)

I am very sad to hear that GT will not be part of the team this year, I am happy though, that it is his decision and no one elses. Whoever takes his place has to fill rather large and very well trodden boots and that will not be easy, because he was and still is (in my book) one of the greatest.

I am due on Midweek Motorsport tonight, talkin about 360 so will ask Hindy about it.

Dont dis my favourite race though guys.......if you look out the window now...its pouring down.....close ya eyes .and head south.........suddenly its June and the warm air flows across your face...its just coming up to three (used to be four) and the Audi R8 sports car is just about to peel off right handed any second now....into the pit lane as behind him like some rolling roaring army comes the orchestral roar (even with fins) that begins to hit your ears and the rumble that begins to vibrate your chest (easy fella's) ............And LE MANS IS GO FOR ANOTHER YEAR..........

Great post ... I even quite like the lack diesel noise as it is impressive and dramatic because of the lack of noise combined with the speed. I would hate the whole grid to sound like that but the variety is one of the best things about LM - it is not just another boring spec series where all the cars look and sound the same.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3065374)   #19
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
OK NOW STOP THIS!!

Quoted for truth!

The thing I don't get is why is the race now suddenly worse than it was two, three or five years ago? I don't buy that. Everything is cyclical and the fact people are even bringing up fins as a potential reason not to go to Le Mans is frankly laughable. Roll on June!!!!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3065384)   #20
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I might have missed a few names dropping out in the last few days, but I thought there were 56 cars this year?

*runs for cover*
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:07 (Ref:3065385)   #21
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I might have missed a few names dropping out in the last few days, but I thought there were 56 cars this year?

*runs for cover*
lol...you are correct
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3065386)   #22
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, one is sort of a car. *join you running for cover*
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3065395)   #23
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
the variety is one of the best things about LM - it is not just another boring spec series where all the cars look and sound the same.
Have you heard of this 'fresh' ideology which maintains high variety between looks and sounds, but attempts to create the same sort of tight competition / technical parity as in spec series. This illusion is created by the constant use of balance of perf...

Okay, just kidding, we're definitely not going there. Not until someone from FIA is foolish enough to replace the current GT grid with their pets.

Maybe Graham is secretly unhappy about that aspect, too
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3065401)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Have you heard of this 'fresh' ideology which maintains high variety between looks and sounds, but attempts to create the same sort of tight competition as in spec series. This illusion is created by the constant use of balance of perf...

Okay, just kidding, we're definitely not going there. Not until someone from FIA is foolish enough to replace the current GT grid with their pets.

Maybe Graham is secretly unhappy about that aspect, too
10 points for bringing BoP into yet another thread Chiana
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3065403)   #25
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
10 points for bringing BoP into yet another thread Chiana
We've already had moanings about diesels, shark fins and slow but inevitable changes to the circuits we love, so why not...