Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Nov 2001, 22:09 (Ref:178281)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changes at VW, Audi to F1? Lambo to Le Mans? Bentley go bye bye?

enduracesportscar.com reports that Lambo might replace Audi as the VW's marquee in Endurance racing, and that Audi might be headed for F1 (haven't heard that before, eh?).

I would hate to see the Bentley, the only GTP car, disbanded. Lambo doesn't interest me as much and I think it would be a big loss.

http://www.endurancesportscar.com/lemans.htm
Old 23 Nov 2001, 22:46 (Ref:178298)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But on the plus side "Skoda" are in the "Sporting" side. When was the last time you saw a Skoda at Le Mans ! Discounting the "Silk Cut Jag" Liveried version that was on Houx campsite in the 90's

By the way that wirring noise in the background is the Bentley boys turning in their graves.

Please no, Skoda replace Bentley. 2002 might be a missed year I'm afraid, also I will cancel the order for the Turbo Arnarge in case it is badged wrong (I wish)

SL
Old 26 Nov 2001, 13:25 (Ref:178982)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems odd that Skoda is in with Audi and Lambo rather than Bentley. That would have formed a 'prestige' group rather like Ford have done with Aston, Jaguar, Volvo and Land Rover.

It wouldn't be too big a step to make a GT2/3 car out of a Lambo road car (what's the new one called? Mercelago or something?) but surely it is worth using the Bentley brand for the top class of endurance racing as they have a lot of history from the early days.

The problem with the VW group is they have too many similar brands - look at the VW Golf, Audi A3, Seat Leon and Skoda Octava - You can buy a sporty version of each for roughly the same money, which do you choose?
Old 26 Nov 2001, 21:09 (Ref:179117)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The rumours about a Bentley no-show have been going on for months, although frankly, the reasoning isn't really clear. The suspicion is that the real reason is financial. It would be such a tremendous shame and a let down for all the British fans if there are no Bentleys on the grid at Le Mans next year. You only had to be at the race this year to appreciate the depth of feeling towards the name and the cars. (And that's leaving aside the derivation of the engine and so on....).

And it's not only the Brits either. The French were captivated by the return of such a famous name to the great race (and deservedly milked it for all it was worth!).

Bentley or Lambo? Give me a Bentley any day.
Bentley or Skoda? Give us a break!!

If the Bentley Boys don't make it back in 2002 it will prove that sentiment and history no longer have any place in motor racing.

Old 27 Nov 2001, 09:34 (Ref:179275)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reason VW do not want Bentley at Le Mans next year, is becuse they know that they will be able beat the Audi, VW want Audi to have a Porsche type grip on the race like they did in the late '70's and '80's.

The reason for this is becuse you can see an Audi driving down the road any day of the week, but how often do you see a Bentley on the Road?
Old 28 Nov 2001, 00:35 (Ref:179584)   #6
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I personally see a Bentley on the road every day, because my boss has one
However, I think it would be a great shame for Bentley to leave Le Mans, and with Audi heading for F1 (apparently) I hope the the Bentley stays in SportsCars. I can't see VW-Audi running the same brand in both, surely?